1 Like

Predator day.

Love it.

1 Like

Would be amazed if it wasn’t Brisbane…

1 Like

Sydney also perhaps

Got spanked for outside run by Cats

That’s because they didn’t play Shredwards. Am I doing this right?

Could be Port Adelaide if they are after Jerrett

Suffering from premature baldness.

Not us we need inside mids and clearance kings

move on

A running machine capable of getting high possessions who is soft at the contest and prone to butchering the ball. Haven’t we all just breathed a sigh of relief that our version of same retired this season (sorry if this sounds disrespectful)?

No thanks.

It’s because they weren’t allowed to water the ground.

1 Like

“Player X is slightly better than Current Player Y, therefore we should get Player X” is not a smart argument.

Brent Harvey would currently be an upgrade on Colyer. Doesn’t mean we should get him.

If we were to just incrementally upgrade our sh/t players to slightly-less-sh/t players, then we would never go to the draft and try to get some not-sh/t players.

3 Likes

I’m a bit confused.
I presume you mean Harvey would not be a good pick up because of his age, which is…I mean I don’t mean to state the obvious, but it’s clearly not the case with Hartung
And you mention the draft, which is irrelevant here.

Hartung is a spud. Im just glad no club was dumb enough to give Hawthorn pick 20 for him like they would have 3 years back when everyone was mesmorised by how much better all their admin people, all their board members, all their scrap players were.

3 Likes

I’m not interested. Teams can’t afford to carry players who are that weak in contested situations. Yes, he would be an upgrade on Merrett, Long and Morgan, but I’d rather they weren’t re-signed for the same reason.

Look at how Sydney bullied us in the final. We need players who can stand up to that sort of pressure, not just front runners who can win outside ball in open play.

It’s not at all about his age, though I can understand why you would think that.

It you analysed whether Harvey’s output would be better than Colyers then the answer would be yes. But that doesn’t mean his output is good, it would still be poor, but not quite as sh/t as Colyers. And filling your list with poor players is not a good list management strategy.

It’s the same question that Carlton have been grappling with in terms of their 15-16 GWS reject strategy. Are the players they brought in slightly less sh/t then those they replaced? Yep. Regardless, are they good players? No.

The aim of list management is to build a great list, a premiership capable list. Merely upgrading poor players to ever so slightly less poor players does not achieve that aim. Going to the draft, or the rookie draft, and trying to draft a good player has a better chance of success.

Lastly, the draft is always a relevant consideration. Every spot you give to a not particularly good recycled player is one you don’t give to a kid from the draft. It’s a wasted opportunity to find a good player.

1 Like

Alright.
I still think i have some pretty fundamental disagreements with what you’re saying.

What part of nah don’t you understand?

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thank you, but no thank you.

No doubt. And if your disagreement is that you think Hartung is a good player, or could turn into one, then fair enough, and that’s a perfectly acceptable argument.

But arguing that we should get him purely on the basis that he’s marginally better than the bottom few players on our list just doesn’t make sense, imo

1 Like