Bitcoin, and other tulips

Ok I’ll bite. How do those partnerships alter the intrinsic value of the collectible digital token?

1 Like

No worries, but put simply, if it was a ■■■■ coin, you wouldn’t have all these companies jumping on board adding value to the coin.
This time last year, Ripple was,. 003 cents.
It’s been around a while and pretty soon all the banks will be jumping on board.
There are a couple of good coins around, Ripple being one of them.

I think i get what you mean, vaguely.

but in reality, how different is it from a “normal” stock market and investing ?

you say there’s no intrinsic product or value behind it, just essentially people playing with a new toy.

how is the stock market any different ? didn’t the sub prime collpase, and bubble and crash happen cos people ended up “betting” on the housing boom collapsing ?

I’m not an ■■■ fanboy of crypto’s, there’s some merit to them, and hopefully i can make some money out of it, but if not meh.
but on the other hand people from stock market investing seem to carry on about it’s a bubble and it’ll crash like the the regular stock market doesn’t do that exact same thing, and it’s exploited or exploitable by the exact same nefarious dealings and people, they just wear suits and call themselves bankers instead of wankers.

1 Like

The banks aren’t really interested in the xrp coin, though. They are interested in the blockchain tech that drives it.

So, it is theoretically possible for xrp to drop to zero, yet the ripple system be used by every bank in the world.

If Ripple goes public, and you can buy shares in it, then the reasons you listed would be great reasons to buy shares.

The two (token and tech) aren’t necessarily directly linked, although I believe the xrp token will eventually be used to pay transactional fees within the ripple infrastructure.

4 Likes

If the stock market crashes today and you own telstra shares then you wake up tomorrow with a share in a company that is less valuable, but still has significant assets in fibre, WANs, Mobile, etc. it can still produce value.

If the crypto market collapses today you have nothing tomorrow.

Imagine footy cards, but where each footy card is unique and all trades that kids make are held on a database. Your coin is a footy card. Valuable while people are collecting them

1 Like

a common theme of come across about ripple is, people who take the cryp market seriously, stay away from it, for the exact reasons of the op.
They want to move away from the banks running everything and money.

on your point, i’d be curious to learn why the blockchain theory behind ripple or anything would interest the banks.
I’m not saying your wrong with your assertion, to me essentially the banks thrive on secrecy and hiding alot of their dodgyness, so having a viewable record of it where everyone can see it, wouldn’t be so beneficiial.

unless they can keep it inhouse i guess, which is what you might be saying or getting at, and i missed the point haha

Banks are ■■■■■■■■ themselves about crypto because a bank is basically doing the same thing as the blockchain: providing trust to two transacting parties. They don’t really have too much to worry about though because they already do it a lot better than blockchain ever will

Look up the case in Long island , New York

She was charged with using Bitcoin to finance ISIS

Couple more cases of that and it’s curtains

Transferring money internationally in and out of different currencies is currently both time consuming, and expensive.

Banks aren’t against saving money.

Essentially, they’ll take what they like from blockchain, and ignore what doesn’t suit them.

1 Like
  1. No it’s not, it’s simple as
  2. You are having a laugh if long term fees are not part of the crypto ecosystem

Huh?

how many people would you say trust banks ?

not saying they should trust crypto, but how many people honestly trust banks ? a necessary evil you have to live with, but trust ?

so why don’t people just hold onto their shares when they plummet, and hope things improve back to where they haven’t lost everything ?
the the company has intrinsic value as you say, and in this case it might be a bit easier cos our whole infrastructure would ■■■■ the can if telstra went under.

but it seems like you’re implying that if you just hold onto your shares in a market system, then cos it’s a company and produces something, it’ll be right.

granted i’m not doubting you, i have no ■■■■■■■ idea what i’m talking about, hence i’m trying to learn :slight_smile:

Shares in a company give you a dividend. So even if the value of the shares are not appreciating much you get say 5% cheque each year. The intrinsic value is the value of the dividend stream.

Cryptos don’t give you a revenue stream.

Not necessarily. There is still a risk that a company that you’re investing in will not turn a profit or go under. No guarantee of a dividend in the share market

If a business goes under its assets are liquidated (sold). The dividends of sale are distributed to the A class debt holders (eg lenders) first, then to any debtors (eg accounts payable), then finally to shareholders.

So you still can lose everything on investing in a company, it’s just that the risk is lower because of the intrinsic value of the people, the assets and the brand

People actually do trust banks to hold onto their money

They don’t trust them to do the right thing by their customers re fees and interest

I certainly trust the banks infrastructure more than I trust my own ability to secure my computer and hence any cryptoassets

2 Likes

Pac’s made the top 100 on coin ranking!
Yay!
I have no idea what this means, but I don’t care, I’m happy anyway.

3 Likes

Wasn’t really arguing any of that.

Simply that shares have an underlying dividend stream(unless start up) which can be relied upon to value a stock. Cryptos don’t.

The sub prime crash happened when government interference carried out in the name of social justice led to a massive increase in sub prime house loans to people who couldn’t afford them. If you couldn’t afford to save for a deposit. How could you afford the loan repayments.

what paul peos says is correct.