Black Hole - 2006 Draft

What a shambles.

James Hird and Dodoro need to stand down. We should probably cop a fine as well. I draw the line at draft picks or loss of points though.

What were the other picks in 2006 from all clubs.  Be interesting to know if the overall draft was fairly light on.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2006&t=N

Shows you what an inexact science drafting is.

I remember at the time that we were considered to have absolutely killed that draft and now it appears that 7 years later, there will only be two of those player still on the list next year.

Davey who is almost done and Jetta who you assume will only still be there because no one else has shown any interest in him and he has a year left on his contract.

It's a draft of what ifs really.

What if the AFL didn't change the priority pick system that year and we had pick 2 & 4 (Carlton would have pick 1 & 3)

What if Gumby didn't have a rooted back/hamstrings, or that everyone was aware of his rooted back/hamstrings before the draft?

What if Tom Hislop and Kyle Riemers weren't such figjams that thought they could make it on talent alone?

What if Leroy Jetta was prepared to take some hits and win a hard ball?

What if Matty Knights actually gave Houli a fair go, alternatively what if Houli had the balls to stay, work on his game and earn a game under Hird & Thompson?

Alternatively if you look at last years draft, there was widespread panic and WTFage about our selections, hopefully that draft turns out to be the opposite of the 2006 draft.

Houli is going OK.

What were the other picks in 2006 from all clubs.  Be interesting to know if the overall draft was fairly light on.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2006&t=N

That's a very lean draft with an average-good player at #1, an injury plagued CHF at #2 and a hacks at #3 (Hansen) and #6 (Thorpe).

Good news for us this year is just how many players taken later in that draft - say pick #50 onwards - have become 100 game players:

- Lindsay Thomas (130)...would walk into EFC as a small forward

- Josh Hill (108)...meh

- Tyson Goldsack (104)...has his uses

- Justin Westhoff (134)....meh

- David Rodan (120)...no

And from the 2006 Rookie draft:

- Clint Jones (133)...good stopper

- Sharod Wellingham (102)...ok

- Michael Jamison (111)...very good KP defender

- Jake King (105)...hard to believe

- Jarrod Harbrow (126)... good player

- Tom Lonergan (115)...very good KP defender, perhaps now the Cats best.

Just goes to show how inexact a science list management & recruiting can be and how important player development can be.

I am hoping Sean Gregory ends up as good as the Cats' Lonergan.

Well what did you do in 2006 that's any good now?

I was a supporting act for international DJ's in 06

I remember at the time that we were considered to have absolutely killed that draft and now it appears that 7 years later, there will only be two of those player still on the list next year.

Yeah I remember a lot of people writing that Essendon had "won" that draft. In contrast, players like Zaharakis and Carlisle were barely mentioned on Bomberblitz prior to getting picked with relatively high picks in their respective drafts. It goes to show how irrelevant internet hype can be.

Also, I remember reading at the time that 2006 was considered to be the 2nd "super draft" after 2001. I'm not convinced that it's possible for recruiters to rate the standard of one draft versus another (except in retrospect).

Houli is going OK.

LOL

Houli is going OK.

LOL

No lol. He is.

I got divorced.

I got divorced.

?? really?

I got divorced.

?? really?

No, I'm lying. FFS.

Bach got stiffed by Knights.

Gumby had an insane run of injuries after no serious history of injuries.
Davey 100 games.
Froffy Hislop was bad news, he was probably the only poor call.

But who cares.

How the fark was jetta so highly rated

I remember being very very happy with that draft on draft day. Goes to show.....

Me to. I remember saying that we could get five 200 gamers out of the six we drafted.

didn't we all think we "won" that draft? lolza!

didn't we all think we "won" that draft? lolza!

Yep. Gumbleton was going to be the man. I bet if you'd told us Gumby would've played 35 games in 7 years and still be at the club you would've choked on your wheat bix.

How the fark was jetta so highly rated

Urban legend has it that Sheedy wanted to take Jetta at #2 but got talked out of it.

I think 2006 was the last draft Sheedy had control over...and perhaps then only the top pick.

Houli is going OK.

LOL

No lol. He is.

Wouldn't get a gig at Essendon, and that's saying plenty.