Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

I’ve met 3 senior umpires in my life - all barracked for the dogs. I think they saw the club as underdogs much like themselves which is nauseating. They routinely get looked after in spite of being the worst chuckers in the game.

4 Likes

LOL This is a fantastic summation.

2 Likes

I’ll bite. Thought we copped the worst umpiring we’ve received all season tonight. Am I crazy? It’s quiet in here…

5 Likes

It wasn’t even the worst umpiring copped by Essendon today!

2 Likes

I steered clear of the VFL game thanks to the comments in the game thread. Sounded like pure corruption in there.

I thought there were a few HTB decisions that could have gone our way, but we should be used to that. Reasonable umpiring, I thought.

The holding free paid to Logue with a minute 30 to go was an outage. Phillips just arm checked him. They got away with loads of dropping the ball in tackles. The Goldy ruck free for a goal in the first was beyond disgusting. Thought Larkey got away with a massive shove on lav which led to the zurhaar goal where zerk tripped, I want to see that again though because i reckon zerk’s hand is on the knee not below it.

11 Likes

Yep, the ruck free was a complete joke.

1 Like

Its frustrating because you can see teams increasingly being emboldened to take on our tacklers because they very rarely get pinged. Teams know we are physically weak around the contest & they are a chance to break tackles especially given the extra protection.

1 Like

From my incredibly impartial viewpoint, North seemed to receive HTB calls their way, whereas similar ones weren’t paid to us. I seem to recall a very obvious in the back (might’ve been on Menzie or Guelfi) that wasn’t paid. And I reckon Zurhaar was out of bounds before he got the free in the goal square on Zerk.

All five North fans reckon they were robbed too.

5 Likes

16 frees each. I didn’t think it was that bad. There was a holding the ball decision that wasn’t paid against Draper. I felt the umpiring was poor all round.

2 Likes

Did that count all of the out of bounds on the full? Never sure if they’re included in the free kick stats.

He was shoved in the face before his tackle slipped low anyway. Terrible decision.

4 Likes

Especially since Goldy had done much worse earlier and got away with it.

That’s my take on it too. The umpiring was awful, but it was awful both ways.

1 Like

Eh, the count being even doesn’t mean anything if one team is breaking the rules more than the other.

Looks like I’m in the minority but I felt that we weren’t paid a lot of frees that were being paid the other way, especially in the 2nd quarter. Mainly missed HTBs or holding frees. There weren’t many frees paid incorrectly, I can accept that much.

6 Likes

I dont mind if they miss some, as long as its not biased to one team.
They missed a lot both ways.
In seasons gone by, you’d see a 50 paid against Merrett kicking the ball away after the dodgy Phillips bump/tackle decision and Ridley would have been paid in the back late in the game.

What everyone is forgetting with the Zurhaar free is that he clearly fended off Zerk to the head before the tackle

12 Likes

Snelling getting his head ripped off 15m out from goal… nothing

I didn’t think the umpires were diabolical, but it felt like they got more inside forward 50 than we did

5 Likes

yes, I believe they are. And they do skew the free kick split