Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

i can imagine the umpires Brownlow votes for last game
1 Jordan De Goey
2 Steele Sidebottom
3 Scott Pendelbruy

They probably dont have time, they are not professionals only part timers.

Good. Obviously we aren’t the only ones ■■■■■■ off about it - obviously the club is seething internally too.

I’m all for accountability, would circumvent a lot of problems. They are absolutely incompetent… but they’re not deliberately biased or corrupt. Trouble with turfing them is that the majority of the umps you bring in will be exactly the same.

I’m not a subscriber to the ‘purposefully cheating’ camp.
I am, however, pretty convinced that environment, situation and personalities make a big difference on the calls. That in itself is a blight on the game and needs to be addressed and cleaned up. No accountability in a closed system is a recipe for corruption.

5 Likes

Could be more linked to the teams we played than any conspiracy. Collingwood and North are top two for most frees and WC are fourth.

Someone posted here earlier about idiot Essendon fans shouting for free kicks, booing the umpires etc.

I was at the game and I actually wondered at the time if the umpires were kind of protesting or rebelling against the crowd a bit. Alternatively they are probably told not to fall into the trap of awarding free kicks due to crowd pressure which can make it harder to get a free kick.

Just watching the replay (now for the third time) I am convinced there was more to it than your standard “meat and veg” incompetent umpire. Just so many blatant examples of Collingwood players with prior opportunity being caught, not disposing of it properly etc.

In addition to that free kicks against Essendon for a push when it should have been HTB. Does anyone remember the Merrett tackle in the 1st quarter which should have been HTB but was called in the back against Heppell? That cannot have been a mistake.

High contact to Tippa and Brown.

Mark to Stringer not paid.

No review of Colyer goal.

Mitch Brown called out of bounds

etc etc etc

I am glad our coach has a meeting with the umpires and that there is some publicity around it now as it was really bad against West Coast, Brisbane and last week. It just cannot be purely down to incompetent umpiring in those four games.

6 Likes

Club has suggested maybe they are not coaching the players correctly ?

Even if that were true, why would it effect in any way the number of frees for us, unless of course unless the club is failing to teach the players how to dive covertly and effectively.

Time for the players to ask Rance and Thomas to mentor them.

Keep in mind that on any list of varying numbers - there will be a highest and a lowest. Numbers by themselves mean little.

And the games against us would have pushed them higher up the list.
Too many missed frees, the coach is fed up, what more do you want.
I didnt hear the pies crowd getting upset about a bad run of free kicks.

When stating they want clarification to ensure coaching correctly it’s clearly not what’s going on.

They very well know the rules as do the players.

It’s just a diplomatic way of saying fkng sort it out you cheating kents

The umpires are not giving the frees when they are there in relation to us. And also awarding frees against us that shouldn’t be.

The differentials are ridiculous over last 3wks. And they’d be more even if we were getting fairly adjudicated. minus 10+ for 3wks in a row.

13 Likes

The 50m against BJ. What was that for ? Maybe BJ told the ump he was a cheating kent ?

Need to bring in Joel Selwood as rules of the game coach.

West Coast Supporters say Hi.

5 Likes

For the maggot apologists who claim they are not cheating, merely incompetent or responding to the crowd, answer this question:

The maggot who paid a free to Smack was abused by the Collingwood players. The microphone clearly picked up the F-bomb. That’s right - a word so bad we are not allowed to use it on Blitz was directed to the maggot by COllingwood players upset that he had the audacity to pay a free to Essendon and said so loudly it was picked up his microphone.

Yet he did not pay a 50m penalty. We all know how they have paid 50m frees against Essendon for far less, e.g. Dustin Fletcher for looking “demonstrative”; MJ saying to a faking opponent to “get up, you weak dog”.

Now, at the time, there was no Essendon supporters booing. So it can’t have been that the maggot decided to stick it up the Essendon crowd a la Chopsuey’s theory.

It can’t have been that he was incompetent - he could clearly hear what the CFC player had said - and the maggots clearly knew how to award 50m penalties as we saw against BJ.

He plainly decided to be influenced by the CFC players and/or prior instructions from head office and did not penalise them further.

That is not playing to the rules of the game.

It is not “protecting the sanctity of the umpires”.

It is evidence that the maggots are umpiring to favour one side.

28 Likes

The word ‘■■■■’ is not grounds for a 50m penalty. It may have happened, and it often does not. It is often considered a part of the language on the ground. More specifically - it is definitely NOT hard evidence of cheating.

1 Like

We were told as kids to ‘play with the umpire’. In other words don’t complain about the calls but read them and adjust. Of course back then there was only one umpire! It is now impossible to do any such thing with three, now four of them out there. Is the game too fast for one central umpire and perhaps assistants who only look for specific infringements such as blocking?

Before the saga, I would have never ever brought into the thought of umpires been directed to influence games one way or another.

But now… after all we know as fact that unfolded in the saga… and how corrupt the AFL where in trying to manufacture outcomes…

I have said this on numerous occasions, until Gil and the boys club are gone, AFL is basically a globe trotters league.

To me this is how the AFL think…
Its all about the dollars. Games are closer then ever before as umpires are instructed to keep games close. Closer games means more people watching, more dollars.

A successful EFC after the saga, thats not a good look for the game. Think of the optics, we cant let the EFC be successful for a few years yet…until at least all the saga players have gone. Supports from other clubs will hate that and not as many people will watch while the EFC are looking the good for a flag.

I hate myself for thinking this way, it takes so much enjoyment out of watching games for me. But I cant help it when its there staring me in the face.

28 Likes

I played footy for many years, and 9 out of 10 occasions you could read the free kick and be on your bike one way or the other before he signals which way its going. If you waited to see you where to late to man up or to late to run into space to be an option. I would hate to play now though, the rules have become so complicated that you just wouldn’t be able to play that way anymore.

1 Like

It is that simple, umpires just dont have the mental capacity to process it