Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

Away Records since 2010 (sorry about GWS being shunted, they are obviously about 10 games offset but I cbf fixing it).

Home records (Essendon not as bad at home it appears).

edit: updated labels.

The red lines are the average FK for home or away games FYI (1.5 extra to the home team)

5 Likes

They review every single game with umpire coaches, and umpires get feedback. What you don’t know is how objective the reviews are.

I think that if you got 10 pie fans and 10 ess fans to review the decisions, you would find that ess fans would say pies got 15 unfair frees and essendon missed 15 that should have been paid. The pie fans would probably reckon Essendon got 8 frees they didn’t deserve, pies got 2 they didn’t deserve and there were 10 missed frees to the pies (or similar). The point is that if you are looking from your natural angle you will see stuff missed for you and underserved for them.

Don’t get me wrong, I reckon the umpiring was disgraceful - but I don’t believe in any conspiracy. My concern is when the umps review the decisions, if they look at it from the umpires point of view they’ll only concede the very occasional error. This is because there is so much subjectivity in the game. I’d like their review to be done by umpires who haven’t seen any of the calls, with replays stopped before the decision is announced, and stats kept on the error rate considered to exist then. That would be interesting.

Perth is where the home ground seems to give advantage but only for one team - to be fair there’s no strong trend in Adel, Syd, Bris or for Freo at home so far as I am aware.

7 Likes

Unlike every other teams supporters who quietly applaud decisions against them. :thinking:

4 Likes

Bullshit!

For proof they do cheat, take a look at the Brownlow votes the week after James Hird complained about Scott Maclaren - remember that game where he single handedly won the game vs WCE? They were the only people in Australia who did not think he was one of the three best players that day, let alone BoG.

It wasn’t a spur of the moment thing either - they had time to consider just what they were going to do. So they thought long and hard, discussed it among themselves and decided to take what is the unfairest option for the “best and fairest” award.

That is, they made a deliberate decision to behave dishonestly. Dishonest behaviour = cheating.

18 Likes

This forum is made up of various opinions on all manner of topics. Here we have real data that on analysis shows some definite trends. The maggots need to explain the reasons why such trends exist or use statistics/data to provide an alternative explanation. It is not a case of that’s how it is or ■■■■■ happens.

OK maggots up to you, leave out the emotion, opinion and explain the trends. I am comfortably satisfied the data indicates a bias. (I am using the generally accepted probability associated with comfortable satisfaction as around 60 - 65%. If I apply the WADA/CAS comfortable satisfaction of about 20% then the data is irrefutable).Note: the 20% was calculated by a Professor at Melbourne Uni with a PHD is statistics based elements of evidentiary proof applied in the Essendon case.

16 Likes

I am very, very well aware of this and so where the Sydney players

Umpires’ coach - “Don’t forget, Essendon players are prone to transgress at every opportunity.”

I so want to believe what you are saying but I don’t.

So was it just before the WC game when we found out about JT’s case going ahead and that Gil and co will have to stand in court?

While there at it…they can ask why the Weagles over the last 15 years, are not only top of the free kick differential ladder, but also double that of the next highest?
With Freo there, it proves its not so much crowd noise affirmation (although it definitely helps), but something else, cause the Weagles win it everywhere, and here is my theory…it’s colours of affirmation.
Find out which umpires are religious…Gods colours are Blue (for the sky) Yellow (for the sun), and obviously he hates the devils colours of Black & Red).
So, when a decision is around 50/50, the subconscious mind of the umpire will always err on the side of God for selfish obvious reasons regarding there own wellbeing going forward.
Even the subconscious minds of any atheist umpires may also work this biased way, just in case there is a god.
Colours of affirmation!..For me, Its the only thing that makes perfect sense as to whats going on.
Its either the above mentioned, or if there does happen to be a god, then he’s actually intervening himself, and giving these ■■■■■■ every opportunity to win.
I’ll never forget the Weagles chaplin saying on TV, that god wears an West Coast Eagles jumper.
Colours of affirmation! Look into it (cause the subconscious mind will err towards it), and rip the biased umpires subconscious minds apart.
I’m an atheist by the way, and i hate the Weagles a million times more then any Fark Carlton hater.

2 Likes

Well, if even God is against us, that explains the John Coleman injury.

4 Likes

Isn’t anyone going to add some meaningful comments about the in-depth statistical data that Trevor Bix has just put up?

You could.

1 Like

Scott McLaren would be fapping

Could it be argued that our game style has changed since the sacking of Neeld? was that around the same time as the JT announcement? My recollection is that Neeld’s sacking was a few weeks before the JT announcement.

We are playing a more aggressive pressure/tackling style game, which makes us prone to give away more frees? To me it still looks like there is an agenda against us but I am trying to talk myself out of that. Richmond also play a pressure/tackling style game and have a pretty bad free kick difference.

1 Like

Here is a rough ‘eyeball’ take based on the data from Trevor Bix.
Away games, FK diff unders:

2010 Unders:
Carlton
Adelaide
Richmond
Saints
Hawthorn

2011 Unders:
Brisbane
Geelong
Saints
Hawthorn

2012 Unders:
Brisbane
Norf
Geelongs
Sydney
Richmond
Saints
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Hawthorn

2013 Unders:
Brisbane
Norf
Geelong
Sydney
Richmond
Melb

2014 Unders:
Brisbane
Freo
Collingwood
Bulldogs
Sydney
Gold Coast
GWS
Melb
Essendon
Port

2015 Unders:
Brisbane
Freo
Bulldogs
Geelong
Sydney
Saints
GWS
Port

2016 Unders:
Freo
Geelong
Sydney
Richmond
GWS
Melb
Essendon
Port

2017 Unders:
Carlton
Adelaide
Freo
Geelong
Richmond
GWS
Sydney
Richmond
Melb
Essendon
WC
Port
Hawthorn

2018 Unders:
Carlton
Adelaide
Freo
Geelong
Sydney
Richmond
Saints
GC
GWS
Melb
Essendon
Port

Yes - I posted on another thread about this.

JT Case announcement on June 6. We had a bye then we played West Coast.

1 Like

I agree with the view that’s been put that it’s doubtful whether there is a specific instruction, but it’s probably more of a case of do what you implicitly know your employer wants.

The most interesting analysis I think could be done is this.

Look at the last few years (during a post saga). Look at the umpires that umpired our games. See if any of those umpires got ‘dropped’ the following week after our games. Then look at the free kick counts in the games that caused the umpires to get dropped. That would be an interesting exercise I suspect.

If there is a pattern of Ess win free kick count = umpire gets dropped, as opposed to Ess loses free kick count = umpires retained that would nearly be a smoking gun

2 Likes

The Club can’t come out and openly criticise the umpires. So they have to couch their enquiry in terms of ‘seeking clarification’ and ‘to help us better instruct our players’ etc

2 Likes

I saw a tv show once where they showed the umpires being reviewed. Yes they get reviewed after the game just like the players i.e. sit down with a coach (umpires coach) and review every decision and contest.

The problem is the feedback (and maybe it was all hammed up for the camera) all about the umpire positioning and communication with the players rather than about the decision itself.