Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

Startlingly similar approach from another Sporting Body.

Michael Holding slams ICC over ‘censorship’ attempt

By Matthew Taylor

2 hours ago

‘They are weak’: Holding’s umpire attack

West Indies legend Michael Holding has slammed the ICC’s attempt at “censorship” after he was rebuked for his on-air critique of umpiring standards.

Holding’s remarks about umpires Chris Gaffaney and Ruchira Palliyaguruge went viral after he labelled their officiating “atrocious” and “weak” during Australia’s clash with the West Indies.

In response, the ICC - via rights partner Sunset & Vina Asia, which produces the host broadcast coverage beamed globally - issued Holding with a stern reminder of its expectations.

As reported by The Times Of India, the email, written by Sunset & Vine Asia’s Head of Production Huw Bevan, emphasises “the importance of maintaining the highest standards and uphold the game’s best values and spirit while covering the tournament”.

It goes on to instruct Holding "not to cast doubt or negative judgment on anything associated with the tournament in our coverage.

"Inherently in live television, there are occasions when on field decisions cause reason for discussion or debate, but as ICC TV host broadcasters, our (Sunset & Vine) duty is not to judge or highlight mistakes".

But Holding did not take kindly to such instructions, firing an angry response back to Bevan in which he threatened to walk away from the tournament altogether.

"Commentators are being more and more compromised by controlling organisations to the point of censorship," he wrote.

"I do not intend to go down that road.

"If those umpires yesterday were FIFA officials, they would have been told to pack their bags and head home, not have been given another World Cup game to officiate. As a former cricketer, I think cricket should be held to a higher standard. Is the objective to protect the umpires even when they do a bad job?

“I am sorry, but I am not going to be part of that. Please let me know if I should be heading back to my home in Newmarket instead of heading to Cardiff because I don’t agree with what is being suggested here and happy not being part of it.”

Despite his threat, Holding is expected to continue his commentary duties throughout the remainder of the tournament, telling Times Of India, "As I am concerned, the matter has been resolved."

10 Likes

Wow, a gutzy sports journo. Is like finding a diamond on the footpath.

Apart from Michael Warner, I can’t think of any in Australian AFL circles that would tell Gill & his band of elitists to GAGF like Holden told the Cricket elites.

Holden a man with integrity !

4 Likes

He might have integrity but he’s got a whole ■■■■ tonne of bias and butthurt. His commentary during that game was terribly terribly biased and over the top in his criticism of the ump in question.

4 Likes

So he’d be right at home in any Australian cricket commentary box then.

I wish there were a few more like holding amongst the litany of talking heads involved in AFL. Instead we have a bunch of Brown nosers like Dangerfield and Judd

7 Likes

Low bar that one.

No argument there

AND THEY WONDER WHY THEY GET BOOED.

DEAD SET ■■■■■■■ CHEATS

16 Likes

■■■■■■■

Umpires are making it into netball if they’re paying push in the back for such pushes in the side. What a farking joke!

But pinching is ok

1 Like

They were at it again tonight.

2 Likes

I am starting to really believe that umpires have a directive to pay free kicks to the team that is down by say 30 points to try and keep the contest interesting.

Not just tonight but happens a fair bit.

18 Likes

some odd decisions tonight

1 Like

Very odd.

1 Like

extremely at times

3 Likes

Most of the time.

2 Likes

Let’s be clear - that push in the back decision was embarrassing. The Hawthorn player didn’t even move. And it was, you know, kind of to his side.

17 Likes

The 50m penalty against Stringer was over kill. Then Fanta got a free in front of goal for not much.
And then they let it the contested ball go on and on and then instead of throwing it up, they pull a free kick out of nowhere.
It’s so frustrating to watch.
They would more consistent if they tossed a coin.

Push in the side = push in the back = free goal Hawthorn

Guelfi picks up the ball, immediately tackled = free goal hawthorn. (What happened to the Anzac Day precedents???)

In the first 10 seconds, an incidental contact while HFC player kicked the ball = free kick downfield and free goal hauthorn.

Raz gets pinched all night. PINCHED - WTF? Points it out to the maggots who turn a blind eye to a reportable offence and a player who is clearly bringing the game into disrepute… Nothing to see here, says the bald headed flogs - obviously synchronised with head office and Clarko pre-game.

Tippa gets his head ripped off in a marking contest = nothing to see here,

et cetera

et cetera

et farking cetera

Farking maggots. Farking bald headed flogs.

29 Likes

the worst was the one against parish…

picked the ball up got penalised for diving on the ball…

that is the worst decision all year!

1 Like