Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

Absolutely!

Also had what a good mate of mine described as “a huge hardon” for Brad Sewell.

Just remember, AFL line is that umpires all grew up loving the game, but none of them supported a team - that is unbelievable.

1 Like

Umpires shouldn’t have numbers on their backs and should never be mentioned by name by the commentators.

8 Likes

Yep, they are adjudicators not players. They are part of the stage not the entertainment. They should be anonymous.

4 Likes

If I knew how to do this I would… A tweet with the GIF of Fantasia getting pinched with umpire looking on followed by this article about the umpires buddying up to Hawthorn, then a GIF of the incident where Ray C. was laughing with Stratton.

That would bring together all the elements that we are complaining about.

8 Likes

l am concerned that the chumps don’t know the rules well enough.
Rampe climbing on the goal post, should have been a free kick under the rules. Ignored.
Stratton pinching multiple times, reportable. Despite having the chumps attntion drawn to the act, ignored.
It is a worry when the officials appointed to adjudicate the game are so incompetent.

5 Likes

This is the benign interpretation.

It is strange that “not knowing the rules” and “incompetency” mostly leads to outcomes that you know the AFL would be happy with. You rarely see instances where “don’t know the rules” and “incompetency” leads to results that are detrimental to the AFL’s agenda.

3 Likes

They should also never joke with players or call them by nicknames. I like the way the refs in Union do it. Team and number, no personal connection.

21 Likes

That’s a very good point. Even if it doesn’t affect their decision making, the perception that it may is in itself enough to make it a problem.

2 Likes

I’d like this to be taken with a grain of salt as it’s only a mild annoyance, and in the grand scheme of things I guess it doesn’t matter too much (I feel like I’ve been whinging a lot), but gosh I get tired of hearing umpires attempting to coach.

Maybe I’ve said this recently, it feels like it.
Pay a free kick, or don’t.
Don’t tell someone to get the ball out and then, if they don’t, ball it up.
What’s that about?
Why are you telling them to get the ball out if it won’t affect your decision either way? What if there’s an opposition player dwelling right next to you, waiting for you to ‘get the ball out’?
And given that, are players supposed to ignore umpire’s commentary?
Some of the time?
Which calls are warnings and which ones are just general commentary?

9 Likes

I also want the microphones removed from them during the game.

5 Likes

For goodness sake, OF COURSE they know the rules! They are always able to enforce any obscure rule against us. They are NOT incompetent.

They are cheats setting out to meet a predetermined outcome.

8 Likes

In an interview before the Hawthorn match Ray said there were different things he would be watching out for that were different for each team as they move the ball differently. I would argue that if you want consistent and unbiased umpiring, you should be watching both teams for exactly the same things.

26 Likes

Yep. It’s the same as when a forward has a mark/free and the defenders are trying to start a scrap to get it overturned.

They keep yelling ‘don’t get it reversed’. When maybe they should pay a 50 against the defender.

1 Like

How many free kicks have been reversed this year?
I think maybe I’ve seen one?
Maybe?

1 Like

Heath Hocking got one on the weekend… for some reason the opposition like to hit him :slight_smile:

40 Likes

100%

Great first post Tikolo

2 Likes

Quality first post, @Tikolo!

1 Like

And players refer to the ref as “Sir”…