Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

They’ve charged him with serious misconduct so all the gradings around things that MRP look at kind of irrelevant

2 Likes

Anyone have info on what serious misconduct means, and what penalties apply? I think he’ll get one for pinching, two for the stomp

From Nick Bowen’s article after McKenna’s biting Tribunal hearing in 2018, when it was brought up that previously Masten had bitten Suban’s forearm, broken skin (which McKenna didn’t do,) put Suban on anti-biotics for 5 days, and only got 2 weeks;

He has a “clean record”, just like Ablett.

1 Like

probably as rubbery and ill-defined as bringing the game into disrepute

IIRC pinching is a reportable offense, and attracts a fixed financial sanction (ie no suspension.) There are different levels of sanction depending on whether it’s a first, second, or third+ offense ($1500, $2500, $4000, with discounts available for early pleas, but IIRC Stratton isn’t allowed any.) If the tribunal follow their own guidelines (which are only guidelines, not actual rules,) and we go by the number of bruises on Fanta’s arm as the number of pinches, Stratton would be looking at $15k+ just for the pinching.

Stomping is a direct-to-tribunal offence (no MRO involvement, so forget trying to use the MRO table to try to predict an outcome, not that it’s much use anyway, though apparently the MRO has the power to remove the player’s option for an early plea.) It’s not something that attracts a financial sanction, so suspension is a possible outcome. Sicily got a week for stomping Atley last year. IIRC it looked as though Sicily was trying to run over Atley who was on the ground, stumbled, and inadvertently stomped on his ankle (an attempt at disguise that deceived no one.) I’d expect Stratton to be given one week for stomping, but wouldn’t be surprised if they upgraded it to 2 given how obviously intentional it was.

Fines of $1,000 or $2,000 etc. are laughable when placed in the context of what players earn.
For example, a $1,000 fine for a player on $500,000 pa represents 0.2% of their earnings. This sort of encourages indiscretions.

1 Like

He should get weeks for the stomping, he could seriously injure a player and effect his career if he broke a critical bone.

4 Likes

The social media backlash against Gildo and crew is gaining momentum. Especially after his presser today. Let’s hope this flog is out of there soon.

3 Likes

What’s being said?

Surely with 3 field, 4 boundary and 2 goal umpires, plus the emergency, one of them could’ve taken appropriate action. Surely common sense could prevail with the umpires able to discuss the issue (which was bought up to them on several occasions) during the half time break. I’m sure that if they were all aware of the act then at least one would have taken appropriate action. This would have saved everyone from all having to deal with the crap that has gone on since.

3 Likes

Sometimes I think that the AFL enjoy watching the media and general public pick apart how stupid and unprofessional their organisation is.

They are gluttons for punishment.

A bit like our stupid politicians.

1 Like

Biting is worse

Completely ot of character? He’s done it before, how can it be out of character?

12 Likes

I hope he gets 3 weeks, but I would be ok with 8, especially if we could get live footage of clarko’s head exploding.

1 Like

Yeah I agree, all else being equal, which it isn’t.

That still makes laugh. What, he was going to puncture an artery?

Perhaps Dickson had a particularly dirty neck?

Gil being King Flog. A few petitions doing the rounds to get rid of him. Who doesn’t love a good online petition??? :joy:

1 Like

Threads gunna go OFF on Thursday night.

Marghetts in Perth. WOW

2 Likes