Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

Nah I’m paying against Langford. Didn’t attempt to mark.

West Coke should have beaten us by 20 goals tonight. Just as well their kicking was askew.

1 Like

Just let’s remember it is not just the absolute number of frees.

It is where they are paid - WCE gets most of theirs on the forward line, or to prevent our attacking plays.

Most of ours are on the back line to pad the stats.

In the first half WCE only had about two goals that did not have the maggots influencing the play.

3 Likes

Also some of our frees brought the ball back 50m and gave them time to set up.

2 Likes

Umpiring was atrocious but it didn’t cost us the game.

Our poor disposal and decision making cost us yet again.

We lack class.

7 Likes

Same as it ever was interstate. Need to be a 4-5 goal better team to scrape home. We weren’t even close

1 Like

Poor umpiring and our poor play are two different things. Can’t blame the former on the latter. But gee there were some bad decisions last night. The state of umpiring at the moment is a frustrating concern.

9 Likes

McGovern jams two hands right in Browns back on maybe 3-4 occasions? Every single one of them is play on. Langford does it to McGovern, its an instant free kick.

The current product is one of the more unwatchable sporting spectacles going around. Not just Essendon, most games are just garbage to watch and there is absolutely no way you could explain the rules of the game to a new comer.

“Why was that a free kick 28 seconds ago, but now it isn’t?”.

“Oh see cos what happened is it looked like the player in front might have misjudged the ball a little bit more than the guy behind him so when he used his hands to stabilise himself against the player that’s backing up against him it appears the umpire as ruled that he felt the player behind was in a better position to mark or take possession of the ball than the player in front so in that particular instance it’s probably play on however in the second instance it would appear that the umpire has made the judgment call that the player at the back used his hands to stabilise himself against the player in front and in this particular case the player in front may have judged the drop of the ball a little better than the player who was stabilising himself against said player so that would then transfer to meaning that he had better body position and that the guy at the back could potentially have been at an unfair advantage in the way that he pushed off with a bit more force than in the previous case so you can see why that one was awarded a free kick”

“oh”.

20 Likes

Haven’t seen a 100+kg guy fall over as much as McGovern, and be rewarded for it by the umpires. Well, not since Dean Cox or maybe Rance.

7 Likes

To be fair, the ball was forward for WC for most of the game so it’s hard to get them paid in the backline.

But nevertheless they managed it, preventing our goal attacks on at least two occasions.

2 Likes

Agreed.
I thought we played fairly well in the first quarter. Should have stopped watching at that point

1 Like

My Facebook memories today from 1 year ago:

“Can we just hand West Coast 3 goals head start at the start of the match, if the Umpires call the game evenly? Every single Melbourne team.”

It’s the same every year

4 Likes

We actually were going ok in first quarter but umps stitched us to get WC back into contest

And when we were making our run late in game they also did so.

Game was lost by the players but umps definitely had an impact.

4 Likes

This thread must be where paranoia goes to thrive. Three or four ordinary decisions but I’d take that any day of the week in Perth.

No wonder we have the reputation as the biggest whingers in the League.

1 Like

oh yes they did & if you don’t see that their disgraceful interpretations took the wind out of the players sails then you are just kidding yourself

this is true you could see it in their body language half way through the second quarter

1 Like

Look I am not an umpire fan at all. But there have been far worse games where umpires genuinely influenced the game this year.

Last night was not the case, yes there were some bad calls but that is what happens in Perth.

But honestly, if the players just stop trying and give up because of a few bad calls that is just pathetic and weak and sums up the club being a nonentity for over a decade.

Also many players were well down, and that had nothing to do with umpires.

1 Like

I found it interesting that the TV Broadcast didn’t replay many of the free kick decisions or if they did it was from a dodgy camera angle that showed nothing.

5 Likes

Look, the reality is that from half-way through the first quarter, we were simply dominated by a quality team. However, it’s hard to imagine that players don’t recognise the same things many supporters do in the way our games are umpired.

It’s also hard to imagine that our players don’t recognise, and aren’t affected by, an apparent bias against them which consistently sees them robbed of momentum. I reckon there was perhaps an element to this yesterday, when at one point in the second quarter the free-kick differential was more than double in WCE’s favour.

I find it quite extraordinary, illogical and unreasonable then, that when the game is all-but-gone, Essendon players apparently suddenly reach a level of almost negligible infringement and WCE players do nothing but give free kicks away. From 19 frees to only 7 early in the 3rd, EFC suddenly get FIFTEEN of the next 19 free kicks awarded. This is far from an isolated circumstance, I think particularly in the saga and post saga period.

No… nothing at all to see here…

27 Likes