Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

There has to be some reward for being the AFL’s mouthpiece. Cough *Gordon cough.

2 Likes

Where’s West Coast?

1 Like

No its best to do it over a much bigger sample size like from 2000 to current, in order to reveal the true farce.
Do it, and you will find something unbelievable!!!
The Wet Toast Weagles will be at the top, and their score will be twice as much as the second top…now thats a farce and it should be printed in every newspaper in the country.

3 Likes

55-30 our favour the last 2 weeks.

Something is up at AFL hoise

I can accept this, and hope it puts us on a Bulldogs like run.

1 Like

Swan fans very very upset about the umpiring today.

:wink:

3 Likes

well they would be … last time the umpires decided that they should win despite the rules. This time they didn’t interfere to get them over the line

4 Likes

One thing that ANZAC day did was educate myself properly on the HTB rule. Or more precisely, the no prior part of the rule.

I’ve been watching the decisions in a lot of games since then and now that I’m fully aware of the rules, or what I believe are the rules, there are more ■■■■ ups than ever. As most should now know, as long as you make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball properly, it’s not HTB if you don’t in fact dispose of it properly.

So theoretically, there should rarely be a free in this situation. Unfortunately, watching any given game, this is cocked up on multiple occasions.

3 Likes

McGrath’s holding the ball was unexplainable and Blakey’s just before it. Same things happened multipe times in the game but they pick those two out in quick succession.

Running through the restricted area happened countless times. Plucked a few out and gave them fifty’s. Some others they warned them off.

2 Likes

There were multiple occasions (especially early in the game) when players were clearly holding the ball, but the umps didn’t pay them.

We’ve had a great run with the umps two weeks in a row and I reckon they’ve got us across the line in both games

2 Likes

yep they were absolutely a significant factor in those wins just as certainly they cost us wins earlier in the year. Thats the problem with the umpiring - they are having WAY too much influence on games.

3 Likes

It’s almost as if… ambiguous rules are important to the commission.

1 Like

Disagree. It has been the efforts of the players involved that have gotten us over the line late in matches. Hooker’s heroics last week, Parich this week.

2 Likes

You’re basically better off not really trying to dispose of it with the intricacies of HTB, let it get knocked out…if you actually try and don’t dispose correctly, then it’s incorrect disposal rather than non HTB and ball up. The umps / rules are just trash.

The main thing that bugs me is the constant damn chatter - I can’t think of any other sport in the world where the umpires are CONSTANTLY reminding the players of the rules - every freaking ball up “keep a metre, keep a metre” - “don’t hold, don’t hold”.

You’re not there to fkn coach, and if players don’t know the rules and don’t adhere to them, just pay a damn free. Stop letting players get away with taking too long to give the all back etc cos you’re discussing why you paid a free, just start paying 50 and they’ll stop asking.

Also something I’ve heard a lot lately “play on, you’re both holding” - so you’re basically admitting to letting two players break the rules with no consequences, total fkng joke.

I find it funny how the AFL are constantly making changes to the game to improve the spectacle yet totally miss the obvious - I for one, and I presume the majority of others couldn’t really care if every game is open and free flowing, the umpiring (even in non EFC games) turns me off way more than the style.

8 Likes

Definitely GWS and somewhat today

We had a bunch of no-name umps this week: Dalgleish, O’Gorman, Mitchell

The previous week in the GWS game: Nicholls, Hosking, Gianfagna

Wonder why we’ve had a reasonable run…

AFL want woosha to keep his job?

1 Like

After watching the Pies V Hawks game the night before, you can see what the weekly umpiring focus is.

• running close to the ‘protected’ area
  • deliberate out of bounds. Don’t even try to accidentally run it out (same as Deledio last week)
  • not attempting to get rid of it, even if there’s no prior opportunity

Umpiring was better yesterday. I’d rather see frees paid and players need to adjust, than let 90% of them go and then pull one out that’s technically there.

I think most of those are OK. The ones I hate are ruck frees for blocking when you’re expected to get out of the way if the bounce favours you, and holding frees when both players are holding.