Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

This is the one Mckernan gets killed on.

It’s not his fault.

I think the only thing you can legally do if you’re parked under it is to not use a straight arm, or just take the hit. Even taking your eyes off the ball and it can be a free kick.

Gianfagna was the umpire when the Rampe climbed the goal post.

They paid one against him against either GWS or Hawthorn (think GWS) where the ■■■■ umpire bounced is poorly and basically sat it on McKernan. He puts his arm out to protect himself and got pinned for it.

■■■■

2 Likes

Oh I know it. Etched into my retinas.

Is this not replaying frees here to stay?
Was it the same thing across all games.
Bizarre

It’s painful isn’t it.

If AFL umpires umpired tennis.

“Your serve Rafa”
“Keep your feet behind the line”
“If you snick the net I’ll call let”
“hit it back over the net”
“Nah mate you didn’t hit it back over the net 15-0”

21 Likes

That’s pretty good, but its more like…
‘Get your foot behind the line.
Rafa.
Rafa. Your foot’s in front of the line, get it back.
Rafa.
Your foot.
Get it…point started!’

3 Likes

Then pay something minor and incidental to the world #263 at the other end, with no warning.

The constant, and constantly ignored, warnings about getting back to the mark ■■■■ me.

One warning, MAX, then pay the 50.

1 Like

I know we do it, too, but it’s been over half a season so the automatic running over of the nine metre zone should be penalised straight away too.
You can’t tell me the players don’t know.

Edit: It’s weird how the AFL supposedly wants to speed the game up, but put up with that crap, as well as…
‘Oh, it’s their free? I thought it was mine.
You’re sure it’s not mine, because I really…
Oh. Okay. You’re saying it was too high. By me?
Really?
Well, agree to disagree I guess.
Now which player do I give the ball to?
This one?
The one right in front of me?
The one who’s been waving his hands for the last ten seconds?
Okay. Here you go, mate.’

6 Likes

Player kicks the ball from inside the middle of a pack. The ball goes all off 1 metre and hits another player in the bum (or smothered) and drops to the ground “Play on, not 15!”

6 Likes

‘Knock it out.
Knock it out.
Knock it out.
Okay, give it to me.’

2 Likes

We have got a run on in Q4 the last 2 weeks and I think the 50/50s have gone our way. In prior weeks eg v Freo & v Hawks we were well up & the umps paid some silly frees in front of goals that reduced our winning margin…not to mention the pies & bin chicken 1st match debacles.

It looks to me that the team that has momentum on the field often (maybe more than 50%) also gets more of the 50/50 free kicks paid to them. I think there are 3 forms of bias by umpires generally across the AFL -

1. the impact of the crowd sound of affirmation ie interstate home ground bias
  2. the top teams and top players get more 50/50 frees as the umpires predetermine their likelihood of winning each contest
  3. teams with momentum get more frees.

Add all this up, fans go nutz.

What I’ve noticed creeping back into the game is the way the umpires are speaking to the players. Last week (I think) the ump told one of our players to get up after a collision with an opponent. He had no way of knowing how badly hurt he was.
A few times this year the umps’ attitude in speaking to the players has been appalling. The finger pointing at Hurls comes to mind. Had that interchange been reversed you can guarantee there’d be a free kick and maybe a please explain involved.
If the umpires expect respect, they need to show it as well.

1 Like

I don’t know afl umpires could cope with tennis rules, they are pretty black and white. You can’t interpret a ball being in or out

But thinking on it:
“Sorry mate, no point for the ace, he had no prior opportunity to hit it”
“Penalty point, didn’t make a genuine attempt to return the ball to the ball boy on the full”
“No, ball didn’t go up straight, serve it again”

3 Likes

AFL want us in finals, not 6 interstate teams including the tarps, brions and the experiments

1 Like

That serve was in…just, but it wasn’t really with the mood of the game so he was right to call it out.

3 Likes

Sorry I need you to translate

Lol

2 Likes

Lol.
Fair enough. Not everyone has my mind, thankfully.

I was saying they yell for it to be knocked out and then ball it up when it’s not, but it’s crickets before they actually pay a holding the ball decision (which the ballerina is supposed to signify).

Ok gotcha. I did think the ballarina was paying holding the ball.

I reckon some weeks players are given a decent prior op and some weeks there is just none at all.