Blitz Metalhead Thread

Here’s my list of all the 2016 albums that I’ve heard enough times to consider ranking. Obviously a fair bit of thrash and Aus bias here:

1. Vektor - Terminal Redux
  2. Deströyer 666 - Wildfire
  3. Suicidal Angels - Division Of Blood
  4. Hobbs' Angel Of Death - Heaven Bled
  5. Sodom - Decision Day
  6. Exumer - The Raging Tides
  7. Destruction - Under Attack
  8. Desaster - The Oath Of An Iron Ritual
  9. Exmortus - Ride Forth
  10. Abbath - Abbath
  11. Rezet - Reality Is A Lie
  12. Death Angel - The Evil Divide
  13. Voivod - Post Society
  14. Be'lakor - Vessels
  15. ColdWorld - Autumn
  16. Entombed A.D. - Dead Dawn
  17. Paradox - Pangea
  18. Ihsahn - Arktis.
  19. Flotsam And Jetsam - Flotsam And Jetsam
  20. Game Over - Crimes Against Reality
  21. Testament - Brotherhood Of The Snake
  22. Novembre - URSA
  23. Megadeth - Dystopia
  24. Dust Bolt - Mass Confusion
  25. Nervosa - Agony
  26. Anthrax - For All Kings
  27. Artillery - Penalty By Perception
  28. Toxic Waltz - From A Distant View
  29. Metal Church - XI

Any obvious exclusions?

I think we have similar tastes munchen don, though I didn’t listen to many new releases in 2016, mainly older stuff (trying to find old gems). You should check.out Ripper. My fav of 2016 of what I heard would be.the borknagar album.

On the megadeth thing, I only have tapes but I do have mp3 files of the.original recordings so ok for my ipod except for “these boots” which has the lyrics bleeped out (farking.annoying)

I think we have similar tastes munchen don, though I didn't listen to many new releases in 2016, mainly older stuff (trying to find old gems). You should check.out Ripper. My fav of 2016 of what I heard would be.the borknagar album.

On the megadeth thing, I only have tapes but I do have mp3 files of the.original recordings so ok for my ipod except for “these boots” which has the lyrics bleeped out (farking.annoying)

I didn’t know Borknagar had an album out this year. I like their other stuff, so I’ll have to check it out. Cheers.

With Ripper, there seems to be a few bands by that name. Is there a particular album?

Some older stuff I’d recommend if you haven’t heard would be:
Tankard - The Beauty and the Beer (2006)
Deceased - Fearless Undead Machines (1997)
Voivod is a band that I had written off for some reason, their old stuff is quite good, eg. Nothingface (1989)

The Ripper from Chile

And Deceased is amongst my favorite bands. Tankard and voivod are on my to do list.

New Kreator is out. Arrived a day early in the post :slight_smile:
It’s a pretty solid release, good songs, great production. I’ve only listened once, but I think it will end up as one of their better ones.

I plan to go to Summerbreeze this year, if anyone is… around

Just a Hail Mary: does anyone have the original cd versions of Megadeth's, 'Peace sells' and or 'So Far so good so what?' ?

Not the bullshit remastered/remixes - the originally released mixes!?

I only have the cassette copies.

Managed to find an original ‘Rust in peace’, but the other two have eluded me.

I have both on vinyl.

New Mastodon album out in a couple of months. The two singles released are actually pretty good. Looking forward to hearing more.

Hail of Bullets have called it quits. Real shame, I love this kind of groovy death metal that rolls over you like a tank

I hadn’t heard of them - sound pretty amazing. That is a seriously raw vocal. Intense.

:astonished: Sorry, but I just don’t u/stand this sort of stuff … If I said, “Indecipherable Pointless Noise”, … would that be too harsh?

If you don’t want the lyrics to be understood, why bother wriring any, … what is the point?

You’re making it sound as though the human vocal chords arent an instrument any different to a guitar or drums

That said I don’t like that particular style of harsh vocals all that much.
Prefer either metalcore style or more like this

:confused:

My favourite cover.

edit
uploaded wrong link

Yeah, a shame. They were going to be at summerbreeze this year. Korn just got announced as headliners. I really dislike them

As eastie boy says, vocals are only part of the arrangements, and I’m not sure a clean vocal would suit the aesthetic with that kind of music. I can generally get by understanding most growled vocals but it doesn’t concern me if I don’t.

But on topic…

Gutteral and primal vocals are expressive in themselves, especially when war is the primary theme.

This is a really funny clip from Obituary’s new album:

I’ve liked what I’ve heard from the album so far and will hopefully get the CD tomorrow.

@Muchen_Don Very different lead guitaring style. One of my favourite Death Metal bands.

Edit: had a listen to a few songs. Almost a grindcore feel on some songs, and some more straightforward rock feel in places. Unmistakably, Obituary, but they’ve definitely modified their sound with the new guitarist. Bass a lot more prominent in the mix as well. ‘Turned to stone’ sounds like something off “World Demise”. Great sounding album - bigger sounding that ‘Inked in Blood’.

I’m definitely enjoying this more than Inked in Blood. I think it’s a really good release (only second listen in), and yeah can see some similarities to World Demise, which for me is a really good thing.

The song “Straight to Hell” is very different, standard start then after about a minute it goes into full doom sludgyness. Still fits the album though