Blitz Metalhead Thread

Yes. I discovered these guys via Spotify a while back, and they are pretty good. Different.

Always good liveā€¦Dave is a big bomber fan too. Have seats together in the members if you ever wanna have beer.

1 Like

@Sully, your non post reminds me that the AOTY has arrived:

Listened recently to the new In Flames, ā€œI, the maskā€ album which was very good and really enjoyed Ice Nine Kills a band from Bostonā€™s ā€œThe Silver Scream.ā€ All songs off the album are based around horror movies and worth a listen.

I donā€™t suppose too many here listen to Black Metal? Which is a shame as itā€™s still going really strong and itā€™s got to a point where everything has been experimented with it. Atmospheric, post black, aventgarde, thrash, death. Some bands like Ulver have turned from pure Black to Electronicā€¦ and itā€™s not bad either. Lotā€™s more but you might get the point. In my opinion for the pure Black MGLA is the best of the newer bands doing it and their album ā€œExercises In Futilityā€ is one of the best albums of the last 5 years any genre.

I think Black Metal has a bit of a bad name and some people I know try to avoid it. Give it a proper go, but be careful as the old saying applies here ā€œonce you go black, you never go backā€ (not sure if racist)

One of my personal favs is Summoningā€™s Stronghold (1999). Itā€™s Atmosperic Black and I think most people would be able to enjoy it:

Iā€™ve found BM hard to get into.
Too many bands/songs that are too extreme for my tastes to ever spend the time to find ones I do like.
Iā€™ve been listening to Dimmi Borgirā€™s last two albums a lot, but from what I gather they are no longer considered BM in the same vein that In Flames are no longer considered melodeath

Yeah Dimmu Borgirā€™s not really the stuff Iā€™m referring too. But if you like Symphonic stuff it would be up your alley. Perhaps Emperor is worth a look in that regard

Black Metal was quite extreme early days, especially the first wave. But some of it is not extreme at all, like the last couple of Bathory albums and Enslaved, which are both more Viking Black Metal. I think any metal fan would like the last 2 Bathory albums and eventually all of them once you get hooked.

And if you play the Summoning video above youā€™d probably argue that it has nothing to do with Black Metal and you might call it quite soft. But atmospheric black metal is definitely influenced by it and has some awesome tremolo picking throughout. Itā€™s a must listen imo

1 Like

Friend plugged his brotherā€™s band on IG.
Straight up death metal isnā€™t really my jam but itā€™s not half bad

1 Like

Yeah, not bad at all

1 Like

I feel I would have loved Ice Nine 15 years ago

I have no idea of the context behind this (beyond it presumably being a parody of sorts) and itā€™s a little (ok, a lot) creepy BUT I actually really enjoy the musicianship.
Vocals Iā€™m not a huge fan of, though Iā€™m not sure another style (or even variation of harsh vocals) would suit the music better.

Oh yeah that. It came up in my recommendations in youtube when my kid had my phone. He chose to watch it. Had to quickly kill it when i realised what it was about.

1 Like

Oh these are dethklok songsā€¦ the original clip for mermaider was way more violent than this, itā€™s been taken down from YouTube now. Dethklok were parody, i guess someone just made their own clips for the songs

2 Likes

Hetfield has gone into rehab and Metallica has cancelled their tour to Australia :cry:

This guy does some sick metal covers of different bands:

3 Likes

So launching their own brands of whiskey and beer recently maybe not the smartest business decision

1 Like

ā€œHey guys, check out our new products! Drink these and be just like Ja- oh wait . . .ā€

Jokes aside, hopefully his rehab goes well.

On a more musically related note, I vaguely remember someone mentioning Beā€™lakor a while back.
Finally got around to checking them out and Iā€™m really liking what I hear. Given theyā€™re from Heathmont (iirc) Iā€™m gonna claim them as ā€œmy boysā€.

Fark. I drunkenly spent $500 on2 tix through via go go. Bet itā€™ll be a nightmare getting my money back.

1 Like

They announced a refund.

1 Like

Yeah, but itā€™s only because the tickets I got were through via go go, so theyā€™re resales.