Blitz Metalhead Thread

I think it was the year before…at the showgrounds with Faith No More headlining.
I agree mate, very dissapointing that Soundwave fell in a heap.

Ghost: Metal, with melody.

I nearly started this thread around the desert island disc thread as well. Was going to call it: Everything Louder than Everything Else.

I have pretty diverse taste, but I’m a huge metal fan. Have been since I heard Metallica and Megadeth in my teens. Not being strict with subgenres, but limiting myself to one album per band, I’ll have a go at my top ten desert island metal albums. A fair bit of death metal. No particular order.

Entombed - Clandestine
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Godflesh - Selfless
Pitchshifter - desensitised
Obituary - Cause of Death
Christbait - Yeast
Carcass - Heartwork
Coroner - Grin
Deicide - Deicide
Metallica - Kill Em All

Once again, 10 is not enough.

Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Meathook Seed - Embedded
Ghost - Opus Eponymous
Napalm Death - Diatribes
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Bolt Thrower - War Master
Death - Human

That’ll do for now.

Just on this melody thing, this is one thing that does tend to come up a lot with people I speak to when they find out I’m a metal head. And I get it, a lot of metal is abrasive with death growls and blastbeats, but there is a lot of melody in metal and a few sub genres use melody as their base. Black metal is probably the extreme of metal and it has a lot of melody in it. Eh, I could rant here, but instead I’ll just post an epic song with amazing melodies instead:

Really digging new Behemoth.

Just on this melody thing, this is one thing that does tend to come up a lot with people I speak to when they find out I'm a metal head. And I get it, a lot of metal is abrasive with death growls and blastbeats, but there is a lot of melody in metal and a few sub genres use melody as their base. Black metal is probably the extreme of metal and it has a lot of melody in it. Eh, I could rant here, but instead I'll just post an epic song with amazing melodies instead:

https://youtu.be/d8o3oAt9Db8

People saying metal doesn’t have melody = I don’t like the melody therefore I am unwilling to admit its existence

Speaking of melody: Ghost

I love this version of Ritual

and this is a killer from their new album

From the original melodeathers

Love Swedish metal.

My first fav metal song outside of thrash.

^ @Incoming! I said no particular order on my list, but there is good reason that Entombed Clandestine is the first listed. ^

Then Entombed lead me to Carcass . Still holds up this song.

Some tasters of the original band I'm kicking around with at the moment. Got a side project happening also, covers, playing a bit of TOOL, Soundgarden, alice in chains, stuff like that, first gig coming up in June at the boogieman bar. Its a hobby :) \\m/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlx8gGz7hQw

ahh the boogie man, great little bar (pretty good pa too, think theyve upgraded) used to work there years ago when it was IDGAFF

This was the first Death metal I ever heard and it scared the ■■■■ out of me. I couldn’t believe guitars could sound like that, I couldn’t understand how a human being could sing like that, and the double kick drumming! … remains one of my favourites.

(Interesting fact: the album art is from the cover of a collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories.)

Meshuggah have always been my vote for heaviest band.

1 Like
Some tasters of the original band I'm kicking around with at the moment. Got a side project happening also, covers, playing a bit of TOOL, Soundgarden, alice in chains, stuff like that, first gig coming up in June at the boogieman bar. Its a hobby :) \\m/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlx8gGz7hQw

ahh the boogie man, great little bar (pretty good pa too, think theyve upgraded) used to work there years ago when it was IDGAFF

Try not to play there too much. Once a year is fine.

Apparently Ross upgraded the PA since I was last there.
I certainly hope so because the fold back was non existent. You actually had to walk front of house to hear what was going on. Thats not so unusual though, much the same with The Tote, Bendigo, Espy, The corner is ok.

• Note to self,buy some “In ears”

Def have similar tastes to Zimmer as far as leaning more on the death side… May I add:

Autopsy - Any of their LPs
Crematory - Denial
Demelich - Nespithe
Abhorrence - Abhorrence
Rippikoulu - Musta Seremonia (one of my favourite records)
Immortal Fate - Beautiful (underrated kings)

Some local favourites:

Contaminted (full finnish death style)
Sewercide (killer death metal thrash)

Shameful plug. My new band Faceless Burial demo is here:

Only discovered Demelich last year. Other worldly. All their demos and the Nespithe album are available for download from the band’s website. Seriously worth checking out, one of the unique death metal bands

Meshuggah have always been my vote for heaviest band. http://youtu.be/4A_tSyJBsRQ

Maybe I’m showing my age here, but Slayer is my vote for heaviest band \m/ \m/

I am a metalhead. I like most of it. I actually enjoy going out on weekends and discovering new local bands.

If you haven’t already - check out Melbourne Metalcore band Atlantic. Got some stuff up on youtube also.

Changing it up a bit. First metal album I ever bought - Megadeth, Rust in Peace. First time I saw this clip, I immediately went out and bought the album. (How cool were the cymbals on the end of chains?!). The film clip is a bit lame in hindsight, but classic thrash metal all the same. One of the great metal songs. I was about 14 and had never heard of them. I listened to is so much the tape had glitches all through it where I’d rewind and replay my favourite riffs, songs etc. Still have the cassette. Also first metal T-shirt I ever had.