Blitz Metalhead Thread

Rust in Peace my favourite thrash album. Just next level in so many ways - fast, technical, really dynamic in the song structures and the guitar play between Mustaine and Friedman just amazing, can’t tell you how much air guitar I had going as a teen to Hanger 18. My original cassette survives to this day despite being played more than any other…

First thrash I ever heard was on a cold winters day. We were surfing South Stradbroke island at around age 15, overcast sky, sea was dark, surf was huge and the wind was an icy westerly.

Up until then I’d only ever really listened to Top 40 and the heaviest music i had was Bon Jovi or The Cult. Growing up in a very religious house I was scared of kids in metal t-shirts and thought listen to it would give me a head-ache .

Mate of mine had ‘Ride The Lightening’ on his walk-man. Told him I wouldn’t like it but he said’ just give it a go’

I always remember sitting there looking out over the violent brooding ocean, and ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls’ started …

DONG!.. DONG!!..

Dinnen Dinnen durnnn… do do do do, do do do do… Dinnen Dinnen durnnn…!!!.

Hooked.

6 months later and my mates would play me 2 seconds of any Metallica song, on our trusty walkmans, and I could guess it straight away.

From there I went to listen to a lot of Slayer, Death Angel and Sepultura. Was never really a Megadeth fan , not for any main reason, just preferred the others.

Anybody have any metal genres that they are particular fond of , or can’t stand?

I particularly like 80-90’s thrash, stoner metal, death/black metal from early 90’s, and most progressive metal.

Not a fan of nu-metal and power metal.

Anybody have any metal genres that they are particular fond of , or can't stand?

I particularly like 80-90’s thrash, stoner metal, death/black metal from early 90’s, and most progressive metal.

Not a fan of nu-metal and power metal.

I’ve never been able to get into black metal or straight up death metal, and the only “core” genre I like is metalcore
Power metal I have a bit of a love hate relationship - most of my favourite bands are power metal, but I can’t stand about 40% of the power metal bands I hear lol
Melodeath is a bit the same
The other genre I really enjoy is the more classic sounding newer bands like recent Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold
Seriously, Hail To The King is about the best driving song there is

THE song that got me into my favourite band of the last decade or so. I first heard this song sitting on the top deck of a houseboat on the Murray for a mate’s buck’s week. It came on amongst a whole stack of metal and rock and I literally sat bolt upright and said “Who the ■■■■ is that…?”

1 Like
I literally sat bolt upright and said "Who the ■■■■ is that..?"

Ha yes similar thing for me when i first heard ‘Colony Of Birchmen’.

Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned,but I reckon black sabbeth and deep purple are what heavy metal is all about.i can tolerate the newer bands like iron maiden and judas preist a little but these ‘Johnny come latetleys’ like quiet riot and twisted sister have no substance.

New bands? Iron Maiden? Have you been asleep for 30 years? :smiley:

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned,but I reckon black sabbeth and deep purple are what heavy metal is all about.i can tolerate the newer bands like iron maiden and judas preist a little but these 'Johnny come latetleys' like quiet riot and twisted sister have no substance.

I’m a younger metal dinosaur… any genre invented after the mid-90s is rubbish.

Thank you yoosarian,I was being a little sarcastic.im quite open minded but I still reckon sabbeth remain the kings of metal.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned,but I reckon black sabbeth and deep purple are what heavy metal is all about.i can tolerate the newer bands like iron maiden and judas preist a little but these 'Johnny come latetleys' like quiet riot and twisted sister have no substance.

Death/black metal and power metal have definitely existed since the 80s
Melodeath was early 90s as with nu metal
Really haven’t been many revolutionary new genres/sounds since then

If you were around at the time and sat up watching Rage every Saturday night - or stuck in a 4 hour tape to record as much as possible - I need not say anything. Personally, this is where metal started for me. Four albums in, first film clip they ever made:

If you were around at the time and sat up watching Rage every Saturday night - or stuck in a 4 hour tape to record as much as possible - I need not say anything. Personally, this is where metal started for me. Four albums in, first film clip they ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgGTTtR0kc

^^^ still sooo good.

Changing it up a bit. First metal album I ever bought - Megadeth, Rust in Peace. First time I saw this clip, I immediately went out and bought the album. (How cool were the cymbals on the end of chains?!). The film clip is a bit lame in hindsight, but classic thrash metal all the same. One of the great metal songs. I was about 14 and had never heard of them. I listened to is so much the tape had glitches all through it where I'd rewind and replay my favourite riffs, songs etc. Still have the cassette. Also first metal T-shirt I ever had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4ui9q7eDM

I was about 13 when I bought Rust In Peace on cassette at Virgin Megastore. I was living on a farm up past Echuca at the time and this store was like heaven to me!

Death/black metal and power metal have definitely existed since the 80s
Melodeath was early 90s as with nu metal
Really haven’t been many revolutionary new genres/sounds since then

I mostly had my tongue in my cheek with that comment. Mostly.

If I had to answer what sub-genres I don’t like, my answer is pretty much any genre with the word “core” in it’s name - grindcore, mathcore, metalcore, deathcore… none of those genres do a thing for me. And djent. No thanks.

First post (in this thread).

I first got into metal ~10-12 years ago. I stopped listening for a long time and recently got back into it over the last 12 months. My tastes have changed quite a bit over that time. I generally prefer anything that has clean vocals. When I was younger I preferred bands like Disturbed, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, Ill Nino, Opeth, In Flames.

More recently I am listening almost exclusively to Power Metal. Go to bands at the moment are a lot of the obvious PM bands. Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Sabaton, Stratovarius, Cain’s Offering, Kamelot, Nightwish, Powerwolf, Edguy. I’ve been listening to a lot of Avantasia recently.

I’m not really one for the sub-genre arguments, they become pretty tedious. If I like it I like it. Call it what you want. Is Carcass grindcore, or death metal? Who the ■■■■ cares? I like some of Dillinger Escape plan, but what is it? Is that mathmetal? What the ■■■■ is Meathook Seed? Is Godflesh Industrial metal? Helmet is one of my favourite bands, but some would say it’s not even metal, but I would definitely include ‘I Know’ or ‘Meantime’ in a metal mix. I like some Pantera, but overall not a huge fan - is that powermetal? I don’t even know.

who’s arguing?

DEP one of the best live bands I’ve ever seen. First time I heard Panasonic Youth I was amazed people wrote songs like that. Never really heard music like that before.