Blitz Metalhead Thread

But… but… without genre labels I can’t say something sucks before listening to it first!

Anyone listen to Devin Townsend?
He’s been one artist I’ve heard snippets of and meant to further investigate but have never gotten around to it

Anyone listen to Devin Townsend? He's been one artist I've heard snippets of and meant to further investigate but have never gotten around to it http://youtu.be/x9AcP3VHiak

loved him in Strapping Young Lad back late 90’s, early naughties.

Not so much fan now, super technical guy but find latest stuff bit over the top, but understand why he has such devout following.

Like watching his play throughs though.

I can never get over his mullet ^ lol
I like cheesy OTTP stuff so I should like him
Could be a DTP day at work tomorrow

Love Dev’s skullet.

Jeez mention SYL, used to see this clip all the time back in the day, man this is nostalgic for me

What was that metal show on Channel V back in the day? They used to play that clip all the time. That and that Machine Head song where Rob Flynn was rapping and hanging upside down…

I’ve listened to a fair bit of devin. I like SYL most, saw them live around 10 years ago. He has about a thousand side projects with different names too.

I'm not really one for the sub-genre arguments, they become pretty tedious. If I like it I like it. Call it what you want. Is Carcass grindcore, or death metal? Who the ■■■■ cares? I like some of Dillinger Escape plan, but what is it? Is that mathmetal? What the ■■■■ is Meathook Seed? Is Godflesh Industrial metal? Helmet is one of my favourite bands, but some would say it's not even metal, but I would definitely include 'I Know' or 'Meantime' in a metal mix. I like some Pantera, but overall not a huge fan - is that powermetal? I don't even know.

I’ve got a genre name that takes care of most of that in one fell swoop … over indulgent indecipherable garbage.

I like my metal listenable, & with understandable lyrics, and you know, call be old fashioned, actual singing.

who's arguing?

Sorry. Wasn’t having a go at anyone. It all seems unnecessarily complicated. Just getting on my soap box. Climbing down now. \m/

who's arguing?

Sorry. Wasn’t having a go at anyone.

ah ok my bad mis-read it. I remember when Helmet came out people arguing it wasn’t ‘metal’ cause ‘they have short hair’.

Getting back on topic. “Earth tone suits you, so give it a smile.”

who's arguing?

ah ok my bad mis-read it. I remember when Helmet came out people arguing it wasn’t ‘metal’ cause ‘they have short hair’.

Yeah but that’s just because there are a lot of elitist metalheads out there - which is where I thought Zimmer’s rant was directed. The kind of people who say Nu-Metal isn’t metal, thrash was only good in the 80s, metalcore is pop music with down tuned guitars and screamo vocals, etc. The kind of people who wouldn’t let Soulfly be listed on the Metal Archives site because they didn’t consider them metal. The kind of people who need to get the fark over themselves and just enjoy the music.

Genre tags should be a stylistic cue on the music and nothing more.

Now my rant is done, time to thrash the fark out to this classic:

who's arguing?

Yeah but that’s just because there are a lot of elitist metalheads out there - which is where I thought Zimmer’s rant was directed. The kind of people who say Nu-Metal isn’t metal, thrash was only good in the 80s, metalcore is pop music with down tuned guitars and screamo vocals, etc. The kind of people who wouldn’t let Soulfly be listed on the Metal Archives site because they didn’t consider them metal. The kind of people who need to get the fark over themselves and just enjoy the music.

Genre tags should be a stylistic cue on the music and nothing more.

Yep, pretty much.

I saw Opeth the first time they visited Australia, which I think was just before Blackwater Park came out. Couldn’t split these two so I’m posting both. They are both epic.

Above is Ghost of Perdition, below is Baying of the Hounds.

Agree, anyone who says Nu-Metal isn’t metal, thrash was only good in the 80s, metalcore is pop music with down tuned guitars and screamo vocals, is definitely wrong.

Nu-Metal is metal, albeit terrible metal, but still metal, thrash was good in the 80s and also the early 90’s and, metalcore is pop music with down tuned guitars , drums, bass and screamo vocals :tongue:

Lets concentrate on whats important here and what we do best…hanging sheet on rap and hip hop. \m/

one of my fav albums of all time is a mix of hip hop and metal.

one of my fav albums of all time is a mix of hip hop and metal.

Rage Against the Machine?

The closest I will ever get to hip hop.
great band!