Blitz Probe Cycling

Stan, my Solomo road bike will be sold shortly as l am due to relocate to somewhere between Penang and Bali, depending on where l find work. The front break continues to malfunction. It stays on and the bike is the worst free wheeler l have ever had. The front brake has been replaced once already, when they sent me the wrong type, and has been adjusted multiple times. It is okay for a few days after that, but then after the next rain it starts to stick on again. l will replace it one more time, but just to sell it. I can't get another brake from Solomo as they no longer build this model. l will get another bike at some stage in the future, but l want to build my own now, to get what l want, the way l want it.
Just don't buy Chinese "rip-off" junk. Sorry to say it that way, but Solomo, VISP etc just make junk. There are some very reputable chinese frame makers, but better sourcing these direct from a known brand. Eg Giant etc.

-4.1º on this mornings ride. Any sympathy, Victorians?

Any ice?

Any ice?

Just frost

17 here this morning. Fortunately the climate control in my fully sick DOHC VTec Accord Euro kept me at a comfortable 22, else I might have considered pulling the collar up on my t-shirt.

Sympathy??

That's pretty damn cold. Rule #9 in operation.

I think my bike (Aluminium Scott roadie) is in its last throes - chain skipping like mad every time I have to push uphill, brakes iffy etc etc. In my dreams, I’d love a real carbon roadie but there’s the cost of course. I’m useless mechanically so I couldn’t knock one together. Is it too risky to look second hand? Anyone got any tips on the best sites? Gumtree has plenty I notice.

I think my bike (Aluminium Scott roadie) is in its last throes - chain skipping like mad every I have to push uphill, brakes iffy etc etc. In my dreams, I'd love a real carbon roadie but there's the cost of course. I'm useless mechanically so I couldn't knock one together. Is it too risky to look second hand? Anyone got any tips on the best sites? Gumtree has plenty I notice.

I’ve had a second hand carbon and an ex-demo carbon.

Ended up with a crack in the first one and blew out a wheel on the second but hey, the price was right!

I think my bike (Aluminium Scott roadie) is in its last throes - chain skipping like mad every time I have to push uphill, brakes iffy etc etc. In my dreams, I'd love a real carbon roadie but there's the cost of course. I'm useless mechanically so I couldn't knock one together. Is it too risky to look second hand? Anyone got any tips on the best sites? Gumtree has plenty I notice.

Sounds like all it needs is a good service and replacement cassette/chain. By all means buy a new bike if you wish, but may not be necessary…

Important reading.

Fixie alert!

Good to see you coming over to the light Riolio.

I had an easy roll for 6 km through national park gravel fire tracks on the weekend. Doesn’t sound like much but it was a big deal for me. First ride since Feb, I think, other than a bike test round the block last Friday.

I had some major surgery to fix my motor in June and Doctors have just given me all clear to start riding again which is good. At least I found out why I was getting dropped and blowing up on climbs - really it was surprising I was riding so well.

Not sure how I will progress from here. I mapped a lot of ride routes in the middle of last year, it would be good to ride some of them although I might have to shorten a few. But being able to ride anything, is much better than not being able to ride at all. I am now 16 kg lighter than at this time last year - so that should help a bit as well.

Had a TCX on sale all lined up but it got bought before I got back to it. Now in the market for a CX/Gravel bike. Any ideas?

Had a TCX on sale all lined up but it got bought before I got back to it. Now in the market for a CX/Gravel bike. Any ideas?
How much do you want to pay?

Have a look at Specialized Diverge, last year’s models are relatively reasonably priced and should be on par with the TCX.
Probably more of a gravel bike than a CX bike though.

Good to see you back on the bike!

Ended up getting this Fuji Cross 1.3. It’s a copper colour that looks way better IRL than in photos. 1x SRAM Rival, fun on wheels. Had a real good time getting covered in mud on Saturday.

Looks good.
I’d love to trade the old MTB for a cross bike.

Robin Williams’ bike collection up for auction, proceeds to disability charity.

Big collection. Also looks like most were bought to ride, rather than as big name trophies to be on display.

I was enjoying my new bike until I started getting flats again. The old clydesdale was heavy but the alligator tyres meant I didn’t get punctures. The new steed is lighter but the tyres are soft and the tubes are like tissue paper. I pumped them up as much as I could but 3 flats in a fortnight meant shifting one of my old thick skins to the back wheel, and I noticed the weight diff straight away. Love the way the new one takes me up the steep end of Stanley’s Road to Tar Barrel Corner without needing oxygen and I don’t want 2 heavy tyres but the arthritis in my hands means I shudder every time I get a flat.
Can anyone recommend tyres that are lighter but have a bit of resistance? The ones Bike 99 provided were first skewered by what looked to me like a fairly innocuous packing box staple. Then the front one followed a few days later and I replaced the tube but I just took it for a spin and it’s deflating again. Not fun.