Blobfish Voted World's Ugliest Animal

<strong>'A voice for the forgotten mingers' Hideous blobfish voted the world's ugliest animal</strong>

A HIDEOUS fish that lives up to 1,200 metres below sea level has been voted as the world's ugliest animal today.
<div>
<div>
<div>By: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.express.co.uk/search/Dion+Dassanayake?s=Dion+Dassanayake&amp;b=1'>Dion Dassanayake</a></div>

Published: Thu, September 12, 2013</div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><a data-ipb='nomediaparse'  class="" href='http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/428992/A-voice-for-the-forgotten-mingers-Hideous-blobfish-voted-the-world-s-ugliest-animal#comments'><span>0</span>Comments</a></div>
</div>
</div>

blobfish-ugly-creature-428992.jpgThe blobfish has been officially named as the world's ugliest animal [REX]

The blobfish, which has been described as "hideous" and a "minger", measures up to a foot in length and has a milky white body that looks akin to jelly.

Found between 600m and 1,200m below the ocean surface off the Australia and Tasmania coats, it is often hauled up in trawler nets and is inedible.

Experts say the animal, which topped a shortlist of five ugly animals, is at risk of extinction but could not give reliable estimates of its numbers.

Simon Watt from the Ugly Animal Preservation Society said: "We've needed an ugly face for endangered animals for a long time.

75716.jpgThe blobfish came ahead of the endangered kakapo parrot which featured second on the list

For too long the cute and fluffy animals have taken the limelight but now the blobfish will be a voice for the mingers who always get forgotten

Simon Watt from the Ugly Animal Preservation Society

"For too long the cute and fluffy animals have taken the limelight but now the blobfish will be a voice for the mingers who always get forgotten."

The blobfish came ahead of the endangered kakapo parrot which featured second on the list of unattractive animals.

Third was the axolotl, a salamander from Mexico that looks like a giant tadpole while fourth was the titicaca water frog - also known as the "■■■■■■■ frog".

The fifth animal on the list is the proboscis from Borneo, which has a massive swollen red nose.

The Ugly Animal Preservation Society was set up to support unattractive animals that do not get as much support as their cute counterparts.

The campaign is supported by a number of well-known scientists, comedians and TV presenters.

Professor Brian Cox said: "I support the ugly animal campaign. There are too many people trying to save cute animals. They get all the press, and all the attention.

"Ugly animals are more deserving than cute animals."

75717.jpgThird of the list of ugly creatures was the axolotl, a salamander that looks like a giant tadpole

Describing the appearance of the blobfish, Mr Watt said: "Indeed this is an ugly hideous thing. It looks sad and so it should, because it's suffering from severe problems.

"They've got a really gelatinous flesh that is slightly more buoyant than the water. So they float around and they can be right lazy.

"They've got no muscle tone whatsoever because they don't have to move. They just sit there looking unhappy, grabbing any food that comes by.

"It's the ultimate deep sea couch potato."

I don’t get any of this.

The blobfish is so ugly it’s cute, who couldn’t love a flightless budgie, and I used to have an axolotl as a pet. his name was Zebedee. He used to keep bashing against the glass of the fishtank.

How can axolotls be endangered?

Meanwhile, black rhinos are extinct?

The Proboscis Monkey has a case against nature.

Axolotls are endangered in the wild. They're native to a bunch of lakes that have been largely drained, and now only exist in one of them in small numbers.

Insaw Lance Whitnal one night at the Marquee, he looked like a blob fish.

Phil Gould looks like a blobfish. 

The blobfish would have been a distant second if the voters had been shown a photo of Vlad.

The blob fish was quoted as saying’PIGS ■■■■’.

I really don't get the kakapo thing.  They're kinda cute...

The blob fish was quoted as saying'PIGS ■■■■'.

uncannyjuc3.jpg[/IMG]

I really don't get the kakapo thing.  They're kinda cute...

Yeah can't explain how that rates so high it looks like most smallish birds only green. Also can't explain how the aye aye doesn't rate a mention at all - I can only assume people think small and furry = cute.