Bloke has Cockroach Removed from Ear

Australian man has 2cm cockroach removed from his ear
_72214657_d5be1543-ae13-4314-b16b-cbea74It is estimated that there are about 400 species of cockroaches in Australia

An Australian man has received medical treatment to remove a large cockroach that had burrowed into his ear.

Local media reported that the 2cm pest caused agonising pain for Hendrik Helmer, and defied his efforts to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner.

It was finally killed by doctors at a hospital in the northern city of Darwin and removed using forceps.

"They said they had never pulled an insect this large out of someone's ear," he told ABC News.

Mr Helmer awoke on Wednesday morning to a sharp pain in his right ear.

At first he thought a poisonous spider had made its way into his ear canal.

When the pain intensified Mr Helmer tried to remove the unwelcome guest with a vacuum cleaner and by squirting water into his ear.

"Whatever was in my ear didn't like it at all," he said.

As the pain become more excruciating, his flatmate rushed him to hospital where a doctor tried putting oil down the ear canal.

But that only made the cockroach crawl in deeper, before it eventually began to die.

"Near the 10 minute mark... somewhere about there, he started to stop burrowing but he was still in the throes of death twitching," Mr Helmer said.

It was then that the doctor was able to put forceps into his ear and and pull out the cockroach.

"She [the doctor] said, 'You know how I said a little cockroach, that may have been an underestimate'," he said.

Mr Helmer told ABC he was not suffering any major discomfort and would not be taking any additional precautions before going to sleep.

But he said his friends were strongly advising him to go to bed with headphones on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25690488

Lucky it wasn’t a croc!

Lucky it wasn't a croc!

a rot?

There was a Twilight Zone episode where a guy had an earwig (or some sort of bug) burrowed in through his ear and through his brain until it came out the other side, causing all sorts of pain and misery in the meantime.

Spoiler alert...when it came out, they discovered it was female and had laid eggs in his brain.

Lucky it wasn't a croc!

a rot?

Crocodile

There was a Twilight Zone episode where a guy had an earwig (or some sort of bug) burrowed in through his ear and through his brain until it came out the other side, causing all sorts of pain and misery in the meantime.
Spoiler alert...when it came out, they discovered it was female and had laid eggs in his brain.

That became one of those urban myths (along with the earwig laying eggs in someone's tongue, hatching, and the tongue swelling up) that went round the early interwebs again and again and again.

I've opened every compartment on my vacuum cleaner, and for the life of me I can't find the earpiece.

"Whats the matter Mr Pratt, bugs got your tongue"

Then there's the one about Jennifer Keyte...

Then there's the one about Jennifer Keyte...

I don't think we need to go there thanks gents.

Well thats a horrendous story.

I'ld rather it be in my ear than up where it's probably meant to go.

You'd rather have it in your ear than out in the chook pen?

...so lost now.

Farken Crocroach!

You'd rather have it in your ear than out in the chook pen?

Prefer not to strangle the chooks, but if it kills the roaches, so be it.