Bomba Thompson

One thing I noticed on the show before the game last night was just how involved the assistant coaches actually are.

It was about our pre-season in Boulder and the one coach I was impressed with the most was Simon Goodwin. Definitely going to be a senior coach one day, speaks well, knows the game inside and out and has a great concept and understanding of the role of coaching within a club.

Bomber is the top dog no doubt but the likes of Goodwin, Bassett and Egan have been important, although I am not sure how much longer Egan will last.

…and the effort was more even over 4 quarters, more sustained.

We didn’t fade out, which was pleasing.

Think the short kicking, patient game was probably ramped up against the Kangaroos to make sure we got quality entries into the forward 50. This limited the Kangaroos run from defence in which they can be deadly. I have noticed all sides are being more patient with the ball, probably a matter of retaining possession, but also to slow down the game.

The forward line was OK but we still need to get more value from inside 50 entries. 24 scoring shots from 60 entries is on the low side. Teams usually aim for 50% scoring from inside 50 entries.

A lot of the great teams don't necessarily have standout goal kickers.

Take Geelong as an example, often goals are spread between multiple midfielders and I think that's what will happen with Essendon.

Heck, you even have Hurley, Hibberd, Baguley etc. who can run up the ground and kick goals ...Even Fletcher.

Essendon is a lot more dynamic for potential goal kickers then people realise.

Howlett will be important this year as far as goal kicking goes. 1.5 > 2.5 goals a game from him should become usual. 

Would have thought that's a bit high. A goal a game from him across the season is pretty good. 30 a season would be pretty good.

Would have thought that's a bit high. A goal a game from him across the season is pretty good. 30 a season would be pretty good.

30 goals from Howlett for the year would be fantastic! If you gave that to me now i would take it.

tho

A lot of the great teams don’t necessarily have standout goal kickers.

Take Geelong as an example, often goals are spread between multiple midfielders and I think that’s what will happen with Essendon.

Heck, you even have Hurley, Hibberd, Baguley etc. who can run up the ground and kick goals …Even Fletcher.

Essendon is a lot more dynamic for potential goal kickers then people realise.

Howlett will be important this year as far as goal kicking goes. 1.5 > 2.5 goals a game from him should become usual.

Ablett jnr averages 1.3 goals per game over his career. Would honestly be happy with 20 per season for Howlett.

We have played like this every round 1 match under Hird.

cheers BOMBER! the TEAM is really F*UP and about!

great to see him enjoy presser!!

I like what he said on 360 tonight with regards to everything off field. 

Paraphrasing, 'look i'm here to look after on field issues and i'll leave the off field stuff to james and the board'.

This is my new mantra :)

Always liked Bomber's acumen as a coach. All his moves were right on Friday night. Early days, need to see if he can get the side through the usual mid season fade out. If Bomber makes a go of this season the players may want him to stay on.

Not that style of football, and we controlled the game for 99% of the time. Last time we beat Norf round one, we won because of a shank after the siren. Last year, we had a massive comeback win that was nothing like the way we played.

Always liked Bomber's acumen as a coach. All his moves were right on Friday night. Early days, need to see if he can get the side through the usual mid season fade out. If Bomber makes a go of this season the players may want him to stay on.

Not as head coach they won't.
Melksham made it quite clear the other night that even though the amount of love and respect they have for Bomber is huge, the playing group fully expect and want Hirdy back next season coaching the team.

There are interesting observations in here but to those of you who want a thread where you can try to destabilise the club why don't you join Tanking Carlscum where they really appreciate that sort of thing.

Not that style of football, and we controlled the game for 99% of the time. Last time we beat Norf round one, we won because of a shank after the siren. Last year, we had a massive comeback win that was nothing like the way we played.

Yeah, those 13 points we were down after the first quarter against Adelaide were hard to make up in the other three quarters of play we dominated.

Loved his comment on the team video pre game, "Tomorrow's match against North Melbourne... the Kangaroos... whatever they call themselves"

where can i see this ?

Loved his comment on the team video pre game, "Tomorrow's match against North Melbourne... the Kangaroos... whatever they call themselves"

where can i see this ?

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2014-03-20/btv-team-selection-rd1

No

We were up by about 20 points at three quarter time. We dominated the inside 50's in the last quarter,something like 16 to 6. We couldn't convert and North got all their goals from clearances either on the wing or our half forward line. 

No

We were up by about 20 points at three quarter time. We dominated the inside 50's in the last quarter,something like 16 to 6. We couldn't convert and North got all their goals from clearances either on the wing or our half forward line. 

exactly, same with Enkis comment too.

Since Hird, we have pretty much dominated teams in round 1. We have always been stronger over the ball, moving the ball quicker and very accountable. This has been the theme early on, then we drop off.

We know the reasons for the drop off (soft tissue injuries 2012, whatever in 2013) so hopefully 2014 won't be the same.

No

Except this time we converted, we DOMINATED the clearances and the ball movement was slow and patient but precise.