Bomberblitz 4th BBQ! - it happened

FURTHER INJURY REPORT:

One of the most serious hazards at a BBQ is the ACL injury (Accumulated Condiment Lethargy). One of our star Blitzers seemed to be suffering from this debilitating injury later in the day during the final quarter.

5 Likes

that breaks the illusion even more than this

Love the Led Zepp shirt Decks

2 Likes

5th aflx team for tomorrow?

7 Likes

Team name Is sorted “Blitz”.

1 Like

Imgur
hammy acl or somewhere in between

Great effort from all those involved especially picking up the reigns at a moments notice!

Thank as well for the club for allowing us to do this again. Great that people there also had some time to spend with those attending. Thanks again @Catherine_Lio for putting the request in front of the right people as usual.

We’ll most likely want to get this up and running again for next year. So those with jobs, you have one year notice to somehow get a day off work!

12 Likes

And a nice little drawing down in the Cafe
Imgur

6 Likes

Iced up for a corky, or a quad tear. I hope its just a corky. Quad tear could be round 4 earliest???
Anyone anyone?

And some of the crew
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
and just to remind every one
Imgur

4 Likes

3 Likes

Has ice on the front of his thigh

Hoping it’s just a corky but gee i’m concerned how easily he can get injured hoping he’s not Winderlinch 2.0

Misread this as great songs…certainly
not the case based on his contribution to DJ king thread :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not touching that one.

HEY!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the pics everyone. Glad you all had a great time. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I had an excellent time. It was a pleasure to cook for such an appreciative mob. The snags were great, the chorizo a standout. Rob Harding was fantastic giving us such a great chat.

11 Likes

Just to add something to that ^^^

Rob - and Xavier and a few others made a point of saying how much they appreciate the support they get from people here.

16 Likes

It was a great day at the BBQ today meeting some new and old friends and watching the match sims.

Thanks again for Soulnet for organising and Hambo for taking the reins at the last moment.

The highlight for me though and I’m sure a lot of other blitzers present was the time Rob Harding spent with us. He spent probably the best part of an hour with us and answered all our questions openly and as fully as he could, his time was very much appreciated by all.

Here’s a summary of some of the discussion, I don’t think I’m adding anything that he wasn’t happy to be shared publicly or wouldn’t be common knowledge at other teams:

When asked about the impact of Ben Rutten he said it was great to have input from different clubs and Rutten was doing a great job particular with the key position players and team defense. We’re not trying to copy Richmond or Collingwood or West Coast but rather integrate what the other coaches have learnt from other teams and work in a game style towards our individual strengths. The most interesting information to hear from people arriving from other clubs was who and what they were most worried about and what they planned to negate e.g. Saad and McKenna’s run off half back.

It’s no surprise to hear him him say we are likely to see more of McKenna and Saad from the kick ins this year. The heat map from last year showed we were the most predictable in our kickouts and something they have been working on.

We asked where Ambrose fitted in and the possibility of him doing a tagging role. The answer was quite surprising, he said contrary to popular belief they tag someone nearly every week, often with either Myers or Smith. The difference is players tagging are taught to look for the most dangerous option in a situation rather than just stick to an individual opponent. So while if you were covering Martin and Cotchin was in a more dangerous position they would switch to cover him. The idea of Ambrose tagging has been discussed but is unlikely to be implemented as he has more of a mindset to completely nullify an opponent which isn’t necessarily what they are looking for. It was also a very interesting insight into the way Myers plays and why he seems to be o highly regarded by successive coaches.

He said that as we have observed the training has been quite aggressive at times but there is no problem with any players within the group. Deckham asked specifically about Zerk v Smack and said there is no problem at all.

McGrath - as a few of us have noticed at training and said previously he has really blossomed this pre season and has a lot more confidence in his ability and role within the team. Expect a really big year from him (but keep it quiet we don’t want everyone to know!)

Mo22ie - great kid and huge potential but unlikely to play this year. He is completing his VCE in Gippsland this year so will probably only have 2 or 3 days a week at most at the club, is unlikely to be able to do the work this year to break into the team.

Jok - Has been very impressed with him, particularly his athletic capabilities. They are looking at him on a wing and think his height and run could be a huge advantage. He is also really eager to learn and is often asking coaches and players for advice on how to improve and may well play later in the year.

Ham - They have been really happy with all their recruits this year wit Ham another one that has stood out, particularly with his endurance and work in close. They are not sure what his best position in but will probably start down back.

Smith - has been great for the standards of training at the club, putting in 100% all the time. It’s interesting seeing players arrive from different teams, Smith, Stewart and Shiel have had to bring back their level at training as GWS go flat out nearly all the time, whereas Saad coming from Gold Coast had to increase his intensity.

Begley will probably start the season in the VFL to complete a full 12 months from his injury, and they expect Redman to be ready for round 1. We did discuss Gleeson but I can’t remember what was said, other than that he had an elite 8 or 9 weeks as a rebounding defender in 2017 before his injury.

Joe - While he has completed a large load of training, very little of it has been in the competitive drills which they need to increase before he’s ready to play. They will play him when they think he is ready to play continuously and not require constant breaks rather than bring him in and rest him. As shown from last year they believe we have the depth to cover him if he’s out.

There was a lot of other things discussed but that was most of the important things I remember. Again it was great of the club and Rob himself to allow us that time and it was most appreciated.

69 Likes

Terrific rap mate thanks

1 Like