Bomberblitz 4th BBQ! - it happened

Richmond averaged 97 and 71. To get the top 4 slot we want, we have to improve both.

I didn’t take it that way, I think they are still aiming for round one but they won’t rush it and play him if he’s not ready. It still looks to me at the moment like he will be ready.

1 Like

Yes this was the most fascinating part for me, and a real insight into some of the things that go on with team dynamics. Another reminder that players can be performing their role just as instructed without necessarily getting stats but still being a huge benefit to the team which ordinary supporters aren’t aware of.

4 Likes

Yeah, 3rd BBQ in 2 days, I must have put on 3kg and I still have about 15 sausages in the fridge left over from last night. You had the best snags though!

1 Like

Another surprise from Rob Harding was that Stringer is very much a “team first” player and person - contrary to the impression that comes from the press and reports about his time with Bulldogs. He will sacrifice his own game and do whatever he is instructed to do, and supports other players when they are going through tough times. Seems that it is only when he is away from the club that he gets distracted.

29 Likes

Stringer may have his problems just like anyone else, but he is a good person.

When he makes an appearance at the VFL while the rest of the boys are standing in a group chatting to each other he is generally playing kick to kick or handballing with kids while their dads are there watching.

That would be a great thrill for any child or parent and Jake genuinely looks like he enjoys it as well. Not everyone is perfect.

14 Likes

Another thing Harding mentioned was the 6 6 6 rule could have a big impact on the way teams use their seconds rucks this year. An example he gave was in the last couple of years when Richmond have had Grigg rucking they always started with 2 extra players at the back of the square to give them extra protection which they won’t be allowed to do this year.

It will be a great advantage to have a second ruck that can also play forward (my comment, not his)

7 Likes

Thanks nackers- any discussion on Francis?

I’m sure there was but can’t recall what was said (we touched on nearly everyone, it really was amazing access and insights). I had so many conversations with other blitzers I’m getting who said what about who a bit muddled. Maybe @Deckham or someone can recall what was said about Francis

3 Likes

Not a whole lot - other than the obvious and usual. Extremely highly-rated by the club, maturing, better stamina, ‘in a better place’, sometimes takes on a little too ambitious field kicks and needs to learn when to take the risk, and when not too.

4 Likes

Also made brief mention re the contract status, and how they are ‘sure there will be contract discussions throughout the year’ - with a bit of a grin on his face. He also said that the request for a trade was just a half-hearted one - an ‘open offer’ so to speak, not a hard request.

3 Likes

Yes that’s right, he said with some of his some his kicks he tries to not only kick it to a target but aim for someone like it’s through the open window of a car - that’s travelling at 140kph and in the middle of a spin (he was quite a funny guy at time as well).

At then end he said he wanted to have a chat to us at last years BBQ but didn’t get the time, I said yeah we could only get Sheedy last year (also fantastic to meet the great man). He said he had a 10 minute conversation with Sheedy recently and he’s still trying to work out what he said!

10 Likes

Great insight (especially for fantasy footy!). Thanks Nackers

Over the first couple of years Francis tried these kicks in the VFL, with varying levels of success. Having seen that, the thing that amazed me was that in that 6 or so games at the end of 2018, all but one of those audacious kicks worked and the one that didn’t, went by pure chancet to one of our players, so did not result in a turnover inside the opposition 50. Phew.

Anything on my boy Langford?

You mean like Hawthorn who averaged 89 for and 74 against and were 4th.

Obviously the aim is to score as much as you can and restrict the opposition to as little a score as possible, so being as best you can at attacking and defending is good.

But, which is the better win out of these two games from last year (ignoring opponent)?

1. Ess 125 v Nth 108 (our highest score win)
  2. Ess 80 v WC 52 (our lowest score win)

Next time you sit down with Rob can you ask him to move Stewart to a wing

2 Likes

Nah, we didn’t bother asking, really.

2 Likes

Don’t toy with my emotions Deckham.

1 Like

Yeah I may bring it up at dinner tonight with Rob, Woosha, Sheeds, Lindsay Tanner and Hirdy, but I haven’t decided if I want to go yet

5 Likes