Bombers fail to win their second local eSports premiership - you’re cut

I’ve had trouble holding this one in… It’s time for our footy club to expand and grow our brand, membership and revenue - so we officially take a step into esports. Expect to see an Essendon team in 2018!

7 Likes

reckon this could be such a cash cow for us if it all goes according to plan

1 Like

WTF is Esports?

28 Likes

links broken for me…

However, finally an Essendon team that I have the athletic ability for.

7 Likes

The WTF responses highlight that the club will have to roll this out carefully, perhaps with a few videos explaining what it is, what it means, and why. Am I right that Adelaide is the only AFL club that’s already in this space? Anyone know how its been working out for them?

Thanks - the link was causing me heartache. Was truncating for some reason.

this must be the bewildering feeling old people get when they see a smartphone for the first time…

5 Likes

stay in your lane old people, this isn’t for you its for the next generation of members.

8 Likes

Which lane? Mid?

9 Likes

nah youre the adc that sits bot whole game then blames everyone else.

1 Like

:confused:

Is my interpretation correct that this means you can go to a stadium and watch someone in an Essendon jumper play Xbox?

And cheer them playing Halo or whatever because they’re wearing an Essendon jumper?

4 Likes

Hopefully not Sam Lane.

2 Likes

I think you drop an E, and try to play sports - which does sound entertaining to watch.

3 Likes

League of Legends. And yep.

More info here: https://lol.gamepedia.com/Abyss_Esports

Though really, this is the important stuff for people not interested in watching someone else game;

“The Global eSports audience is projected to reach 400 million in 2018, made up of nearly 200 million eSports enthusiasts and a further 194 million occasional viewers. In 2017 the eSports economy grew to US$696 million and brands spent approximately US$517 million on advertising, sponsorship and media rights. Consumer spending this year on merchandise and tickets will amount to US$64 million.”

and

“Many professional sports clubs have invested in eSports, including NBA teams Philadelphia 76ers and Miami Heat, the New York Yankees, European soccer powerhouses Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, FC Schalke and AS Roma and in Australia, the Adelaide Crows.”

3 Likes

Not an Xbox, and not Halo, but more or less.

Think this is the ‘opt out’, question point of my future membership.

2 Likes

Does Riot do pro-team skins? Seems like something sporting clubs would be pushing for quite heavily.

1 Like

Great question and not one I can answer sorry, but it looks like League Of Legends itself does.

Only if your team wins the world championship

2 Likes