Bombers Bite Back

New coach. Check
New prsident. Check.
Clash abomination jumper out. Double check.
Tons of classy new recruits. Check and mate.

Maligned Essendon clash jumper fades to grey

Callum Twomey December 15, 2015 9:24 AM
Essendon’s maligned grey clash guernsey won’t be seen in 2016

“We’ve got an exciting announcement to make early next year when we will be reverting back to a red and black guernsey as our away strip”
Essendon CEO Xavier Campbell

ESSENDON’S grey clash jumper has been ditched, with the Bombers to unveil a red and black away guernsey next year.

The club has been wearing a predominantly grey clash jumper in select games over the past three seasons, under a strict ruling enforced by the AFL under previous football operations boss Adrian Anderson.

But the Bombers have been working with the League over the past two seasons to find a way to discard the grey option, which has been met with disapproval from large sections of their supporter base since its inception.

Chief executive Xavier Campbell told members at Monday night’s Annual General Meeting the club would reveal a new clash jumper early next year without the grey base.

“For the last 24 months we’ve in dialogue with the AFL. There has been a change in key personnel at the AFL,” Campbell said.

"[New football operations boss] Mark Evans has had a greater ear for the understanding of our position around what our preference is, which is establishing a red and black base to our guernsey.

“Without saying too much more, we’ve got an exciting announcement to make early next year when we will be reverting back to a red and black guernsey as our away strip.”

The announcement was met with a round of applause from the crowd at the AGM, where chairman Paul Little stood down from his post after two-and-a-half years in charge and handed the reins to Lindsay Tanner.

Essendon introduced the predominantly grey jumper in the middle of 2012, having resisted the AFL’s pressure to introduce a clash jumper for six years.

The Bombers were the final club to succumb to the AFL’s demands to develop an away jumper, and wore it in games against Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and Port Adelaide.

Dustin Fletcher reached his 400th game in the guernsey earlier this year, with a jumper that also had artwork included as part of the Indigenous Round celebration.

The Bombers made a point to add “a heritage element” to their grey jumper to ensure some of the club’s history was reflected in the redesign, but it will be scrapped in 2016.

“Probably in 2010 we were given pretty strict parameters from the AFL with which to work within, and given an ultimatum to establish a clash guernsey with a predominantly light base to ensure we didn’t clash with opposition teams,” Campbell said.

"At that point in time, the AFL classified both red and black as dark colours so we did have to go and establish a further colour. We used the grey from the Bomber logo as the base colour.

“What we did around that guernsey was establish a heritage element, because there was some frustration, absolutely, from the football club around having to do that.”

More By Callum Twomey

. Follow @AFL_CalTwomey

Kudos to Xavier Campbell and Mark Evans. Take that and shove it Adrian Anderson.
What else is new?

Hmmm… No mention of a sash. Droopy or otherwise.

Whether it is good or bad design, people on here will cry about it.

Death, taxes and outrage on Blitz.

Well I reckon it looks good.

But you’re right.

What am I going to do with the grey piece of crap now? File it in the scarf box I guess.

But you’re right.

Is it different from the one that was floated around on here earlier this year Boot?

But you’re right.

Is it different from the one that was floated around on here earlier this year Boot?

Similar but different if that makes any sense.

Beats the crap out of that grey abomination.

What am I going to do with the grey piece of crap now? File it in the scarf box I guess.
  1. Why did you buy it in the first place?
  2. Now it really is a “Heritage” jumper.

How many times are they going to announce it? This makes twice, . . but then again this one is just announcing that an announcement is coming. FMD.

It’ll be like Richmond, reversed colours?

It'll be like Richmond, reversed colours?

Doesn’t our constitution state that our jumper must contain “a red sash on a black background”? If so, I bet it’s that jumper Mero drafted up which was basically all red with a black outline surrounding the sash. Does anyone have a link to that design?

looks good but would look better with Black shorts.

http://i.imgur.com/qkGBBeS.png

That aint it.

Ballpark … but no cigar.

Black sash on red background looks ■■■■. Why can’t we just have the fatter sash?

Black sash on red background looks ■■■■. Why can't we just have the fatter sash?

Problem is - tucking it into our shorts.

Generally i prefer white shirts away regardless of the strip, don’t mind red shirts every so often for a change

Back to the past…(thanks Mero)

http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Essendon-Clash-2007.gif

http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Essendon-Clash-2007.gif