Bombers v Giants Los Angeles

I can’t open the HS link until I get home later today but does anybody know about the idea for Essendon to play GWS in LA in a real deal 4 point game?

AFL website

Man, that’s a long drive home if we lose

37 Likes

The AFL is coming to America. Photo: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images

The Essendon Football Club is California dreaming and it has GWS in tow as a loyal ally.

The Bombers are eager to play a game for premiership points in the US in 2021 or 2022, with the latter looking the most likely scenario.

The club is in preliminary discussions with GWS around the feasibility of taking a Giants home match to Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Watch every match of every round of the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season LIVE & On-Demand with KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Round 1

Foxfooty.com.au understands negotiations are in their infancy, but the plan is to make the encounter an annual affair either at the start of the season or around the bye weeks.

The International Cricket Council is set to play a significant role in the initiative. Its ambition to upgrade cricket facilities in California will have an added benefit to GWS and Essendon, which will seek to partner the ICC to source a suitable ground.

The Bombers are in the process of finalising a deal with GWS, CEO Xavier Campbell told an EFC business network luncheon on Wednesday at Crown.

It looks as though GWS and Essendon are America bound. Picture: Phil HillyardSource: News Corp Australia

GWS CEO Dave Matthews and Campbell have been discussing the project for the past few months.

Kevin Sheedy, who coached both clubs and is an ambassadorial figure at the Dons, has been an advocate for global matches in the past.

The plan would see the Giants always play as the home side, though the Dons believe their involvement can be a financial boost to the club in an untapped US market.

The game would help expose the sponsors for both clubs. California is the fifth largest economy in the world.

The time of the game is still some way from being determined, though a direct 14-hour flight makes it possible.

The west coast of the USA is five to seven hours behind Australian Eastern Standard Time.

If executed, the match would see a home and away game taken to a third nation beyond Australia, following New Zealand in 2013 and China in 2017.

GWS already have a foothold in the USA via several wealthy and altruistic business people who have fallen in love with the game from the other side of the world.

2 Likes

10 Likes

And is broke

1 Like

Opening round of season is planned it says.

Seems ridiculous. Surely could be scheduled around a bye weekend given the travel

3 Likes

Velly intereshting.

Yeah i can’t see the value beyond, maybe getting more $ out of sponsors and Ben Simmons dragging a few basket ball players along.

How does that assist us winning a flag?

6 Likes

Play in La round 1, then Anzac short breaks a month later, sounds great for injury prevention.

8 Likes

I hope my membership covers fights.

11 Likes

Bombers V Giants in SF would get a heap of baseball fans rocking up thinking that the Yankees were in town

1 Like

Why why why why why???

5 Likes

Why not?

might be a week early.

Still will have a bigger crowd than a Giants home game

13 Likes

$$$$$
:-1:

1 Like

This sounds like an unpurposeful innovation.

17 Likes

Exciting and stupid.

6 Likes