Bombers v.s Cats Review Thread - Neelded to find a way

Was a truely remarkable game. Looks like we were tackling low so Selwood was getting frustrated that he could not stage for any high tackles … until late in the last

3 Likes

My son… “who’s the skinny guy, he’s great”.

5 Likes

For a game where all the talk here has been how we wanted to lose and cheer and support Crameri instead, there are far too many happy people about.

Anyone who was in either boat should put their hand up now. To stick by the club in a big way throughout the saga and read some of the crap I have seen here just because we looked broken for a few weeks has been painful. Then these same people post after a win like the last few weeks didn’t happen. I’ll move on.

Bipolar Blitz is REAL.

Still, it was a great game, and we played well but Geelong were very poor. How a midfield with the trinity and Duncan can be beaten by us is astonishing. Kelly who has been on fire was quiet. I loved the game, great to see tippa being a threat again- together with Raz they are such a brilliant combination. Cale is a joy to watch as usual and together with Baggs is all heart.

GWS are ripe for the picking, so this week will be interesting.

11 Likes

I really dont understand posts like this.

People were angry (and absolutely justified - the second in charge got sacked such was the state of us this week) and demanded change and a response.

The fact they bothered to post here tells you they care. When people disappear and don’t care enough to vent is when we should worry.

4 Likes

It’s the fools who were declaring the club was dead are to whom the comments are likely directed at.

7 Likes

Yeah I noticed that at the game too. It was awesome watching him and Ablett getting frustrated as hell.

I lost it in the third when Walla had his head ripped off in the pocket but was done for holding the ball and then it got followed up by Smack giving one away in a centre ruck contest…for…ummm contesting the ball? I really don’t know what you can do in a ruck contest these days. Anyway I thought the fix was on with the umps. When I got home and watched the replay and saw Danger getting legged by Zerrett in the goal square I realised the umps were just incompetent.

The Ridler had one of the more impressive debuts I’ve seen.

And Bags, man he looked dangerous up forward. He’s as hard as a cat’s head.

Anyway thoroughly enjoyable win for all the right reasons.

3 Likes

Hopefully Raz hasn’t hurt himself again - seemed to not play much of the final term and had the tracksuit jacket on unlike the other boys on the bench.

2 Likes

Quite astonishing how often Ridley instinctively knew where to be in the exact right position to link with hooker and others he’s never played with, so many times. Seems to have heaps of time, nice relaxed yet penetrating kick. This was one hell of a debut. His body frame is similar to hooker. We have a live one here folks

8 Likes

Really need to sit down and watch the replay.

But the change in attitude to be proactive was marked.

Soooo much happened during the week that it’s hard to know if any one factor was significant.

Neeld departing? Tactically? Or personality?
Players happier with selection on form?
Assistants running things how they wanted?
Communication improved?
More accountable game style that provided players with more obvious standards to measure themselves against?
Natural enthusiasm of youth?
Pure coincidence that Tippa and Zerrett suddenly looked quick and hungry again?
Stringer actually doing the hard yards up the ground?
Formerly incompetent disposal suddenly looking slick?

It was largely the same names. It wasn’t even close to the same people.

PS - everyone shredding Langers over the last 12 months can enjoy a bag full.

18 Likes

Interesting after the game Woosha said ‘yeh we had 91 tackles last week as well’.

Pressure Just looked so manic today compared to the last month.

1 Like

Other than the obvious injection of effort and esprit de corp, I put our turn around to a few things:

1. Selection on form not name. McKernan and Dear were brilliant, and offered more than the AAs they replaced have been.

2. Balance. I just rewatched the 2nd quarter and our two way running was phenomenal. That’s partly effort but also ability. Myers, right now, is a better player than Clarke or Guelfi but he would have gotten lost in transition out there. You flick your “best” team, you pick your best team for the style of footy you want to play.

3. Intercept marking. Dea, Ridley, Saad, HOOKER, are all very comfortable playing in front and taking intercept grabs. It made going i50 dangerous for the Cats. Supported by improved midfield pressure sure but suddenly you can see how we were trying to play.

4. Even numbers forward of the footy. This was bold coaching vs the dream team cats midfield but it gave us a chance to capitalise on our momentum. Well done.

3 Likes

You shut the fark up, Willie ■■■■.

16 Likes

big smile
So, that happened.

1 Like

It’s obvious now that Mark Neeld was the sole problem with our football club.

All good now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think of all that you mentioned, Neeld seems to be the only problem with our club.

Oh, and Geelong supporters were friggin broken after that loss.

I was trying to cheer them up by reminding them how they’ll spend their September, but they were all just too upset to see it.

2 Likes

One million percent this.

As a very much outside, armchair psychologist, Id hazard a guess there’s been a zillion little points of annoyance brewing within the club over the past month/s. Most of them got changed or looked at with fresh eyes. Most of those changes worked.

The biggest one though, was effort and committment.

So much to smile about watching the match… The tackling pressure, the run was fantastic. They played as a team. And wow, Zerrett’s tackle on Ablett was beautiful - even better was that he stopped a late quarter goal.

2 Likes

“It appears he was shot in the calf with a small calibre sniper rifle by a deranged blitzer on a light tower, eager to get the inside scoop…”

2 Likes

Noticed this too, however he seemed pretty jovial and was jogging on the spot a bit and handing out balls after the win. Wouldn’t be so if he was in strife?

1 Like