Books

Quoted Post

A reply to: @GRR regarding QuoteLink
Vale Colleen McCullough. From the outset she was pigeonholed as a best selling hack but "The First Man In Rome" is a masterwork of historical fiction and I suspect it's a book that will live on.

That’s sad, I enjoyed reading The First Man in Rome!

I have the whole series, great read all the way. I was born to be a Roman!

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
A reply to: @GRR regarding QuoteLink
Vale Colleen McCullough. From the outset she was pigeonholed as a best selling hack but "The First Man In Rome" is a masterwork of historical fiction and I suspect it's a book that will live on.

That’s sad, I enjoyed reading The First Man in Rome!

I have the whole series, great read all the way. I was born to be a Roman!

Cur cogitas sic?

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Disinterested Handjob regarding QuoteLink
Too confusing. Back to space opera and post humanism novels for me.

Haha sorry!. The Sharpe series is a great easy read, nothing to heavy but has a great historic feel to it. Worth having a go at a few books to see if you like it.

I would certainly agree...the books also allow you a much greater scope than the movies.

Bernard Cornwell is very easy to read (and I mean that in a good way). I have read most of his books and always look forward to the next one.

I managed to fit one of those big Roman helmets in my suitcase last year. Wanted to buy a different souvenir.

Anyway I digress. I recently read “Notes from the Underground” by Dosteyevsky. A bit complex but a very interesting read. When I read part one I was slightly baffled, but the second part made it a bit more understandable.

Still battling through “Mein Kampf”. Good but so heavy. I’m up to his bizarre Jewish rantings. Though I do love what he says about propoganda. It’s 100 % true and it applies so badly to the sorry thaga that it’s actually concerning. Reading the Ford translation FWIW.

Quoted Post

I managed to fit one of those big Roman helmets in my suitcase last year.

Is that code?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Is that code?

I bought a dagger too.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Is that code?

I bought a dagger too.

So…not code. Got it.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Is that code?

I bought a dagger too.

So…not code. Got it.

Nup just a very strange girl.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Is that code?

I bought a dagger too.

A replica pugio? I got one of those not long ago.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Barnz regarding QuoteLink
The sequel to Red Rising, Golden Son has come out, cannot wait to finish the current series im reading to dig into this, the first one was a ripper.

just finished this book and it was awesome, cannot wait for the 3rd instalment.

Just finished Red Rising. Bought it yesterday and could not put it down, nearly missed my train stop !

This is a great book and this guy is a great writer. Best book I have read in a very long time.

So a sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird (although written first) is set to be released. And some are suggesting entirely against the author’s wishes. Other suggest she’s too senile to know either way.

Quoted Post

I recently read "Notes from the Underground" by Dosteyevsky.

Walter Kaufmann called Part 1 of that anti romantic, anti stoical little rant “the best overture for existentialism ever written”, and of course Nietzsche loved it, describing it as “really a piece of music, very strange, very un-Germanic music…The instinct of kinship spoke up immediately; my joy was extraordinary.”
I assume you have a toothache but don’t go whinging to me about it.

Just started Cibola Burn , latest book in James S A Corey ‘Expanse’ series, which has just been made into a TV series.

Despite being reasonably unimpressed with the first book of the said Expanse series (Leviathan Wakes was solidly competent and thoroughly uninspiring to my mind - just a standard sci fi/detective story with some vaguely interesting space-set racial issues in the mix) and have jumped into and am devouring the second one. And I’ve ordered the third. There must be some kind of memetic crack woven into the words.

Interested to see the tv show though, even if the Belters won’t all be weirdly thin.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
A reply to: @Barnz regarding QuoteLink
The sequel to Red Rising, Golden Son has come out, cannot wait to finish the current series im reading to dig into this, the first one was a ripper.

just finished this book and it was awesome, cannot wait for the 3rd instalment.

Just finished Red Rising. Bought it yesterday and could not put it down, nearly missed my train stop !

This is a great book and this guy is a great writer. Best book I have read in a very long time.

Golden son is better I think

Just finished The Long Mars by Pratchett and Baxter. This is the third book in the series, the first being The Long Earth followed by The Long War (just to spoil it for you, there wasn’t one). I dunno. I liked the idea of alternate worlds and how a person could “step” from one to the next and the differences they would experience but it’s become quite tedious. The Long Earth was an adventure, The Long War was… long without much happening and to then go to Mars and do the same in environments that looked like mars wasn’t going to get the adrenalin flowing. The books follow certain individuals and their exploits and I can see by the way this book finished that they must have plans for another book. Really not sure I’m going to go out of my way to buy it tbh.

I do believe there is a fourth one on the way; the Long Utopia. Due out some time this year.

I barely saw anything of Pratchett in those book anyway. Well, other than a lot of the names he’s used in other books before.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Is that code?

I bought a dagger too.

A replica pugio? I got one of those not long ago.

Oh similar. I bought it in San Marino where every shop seems to sell knives, swords, slug guns etc. Would love to buy some swords one day.

Go larping and use foam swords?

Quoted Post

Go larping and use foam swords?

What? Do people want to see my dagger?I’ll take a photo.