Books

Death in the City of Light  by David King

A book about a serial killer in Paris during WW2.

Have just bought Glory Days. It’s about the VFL in the 70’s and 80’s and the suburban tribal warfare. Looks good.

I have a ■■■■ load of books to get rid of, what do I do?

Its a pretty bland collection, but there’s almost every ■■■■ Francis, Ruth Cornwall, Wayne Gretzky biography, Rambo First Blood anyone want some?

Not the right year, but one of the scariest cars ever to grace the silver screen…

Wasn’t much room for photos, sorry bout the angle…not enough room for this classic Chevy…

Not sure what model Ferrari this is, but I prefer this to the other modern lines.

Hahaha.

I guess immin the wrong thread?

Stupid freakin iPhone!

I would like to read these books.

I just finished the 1969 novel “The Green Man” by Kingsley Amis, the late British author and famous drinker and ladies man. Although I‘ve always enjoyed the quality of Amis‘ writing and humour, I‘d probably avoided this one because of its genre hopping status as a “ghost” story. Well it is a ghost story, and a ■■■■■■ good one at that, but it still has all the engaging ingredients of an Amis tale, plentiful lashings of wit and personal and sexual shenanigans. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I managed to find the 3 part TV series with Albert Finney from the early 90s on You Tube which stays fairly close to the plot.  

I grabbed Bill Bryson's latest One Summer the other day.

Bryson's done some varied and interesting stuff and this one's about one pivotal summer where so many things happened...Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic for one...there was a spree killing...one of the first...the case that spawned The Postman Only Rings Twice and Double Indemnity happened...tabloid newspapers (or the Yellow Press which led to Caroline Wislon being employed) began...the move that precipitated the 1929 crash happened, and Babe Ruth led Murderers' Row to the World Series.

Bryson's writing is always entertaining. 

I'll let you know what else happened, but I'm only up to about page 60.

Bryson's done some varied and interesting stuff and this one's about one pivotal summer where so many things happened...Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic for one...there was a spree killing...one of the first...the case that spawned The Postman Only Rings Twice and Double Indemnity happened...tabloid newspapers (or the Yellow Press which led to Caroline Wislon being employed) began...the move that precipitated the 1929 crash happened, and Babe Ruth led Murderers' Row to the World Series.

I find Bryson always wears thin before the book is finished. Always struggle to get to the end.

I find Bryson always wears thin before the book is finished. Always struggle to get to the end.

So you reckon he'll be pretty bored by Christmas, Boxing Day?

He's a resilient chap. I'd say somewhere between Xmas and New Year..

I've really enjoyed some of his history/language stuff, even apart from his travel stuff. A Short History of the World was good, the Mother Tongue, Made in America, loved his line about John Howard in Down Under. I've got to get back into At Home, which is a history of household doovers, watchamacallits and thingummybobs.

I’m reading At Home right now actually, 100 pages in, not too bad…

I've really enjoyed some of his history/language stuff, even apart from his travel stuff. A Short History of the World was good, the Mother Tongue, Made in America, loved his line about John Howard in Down Under. I've got to get back into At Home, which is a history of household doovers, watchamacallits and thingummybobs.

Another thing that's been covered is the massive Mississippi floods of 1927, only exceeded by those in 1993.

There are flood markers outside and opposite Poynton's on the Maribyrnong that mark high points. I know 1993 was a big one...I must check soon but I'm pretty sure 1927 was a big one too. Which would make it clear that the fact you get massive rains on opposite sides of the world means that there are some big forces out there...sunspots, what? There were also massive floods in Scotland in 1993. And that Brisbane game at the MCG was wet.

Also some domestic terrorist blew up a school in Michigan killing at least 40 kids.

Anyway, I'm reading this...
9781848848252.jpg
and this...
9780261103559.jpg

Just started Republic of Thieves, Scott Lynch’s new Gentlemen Bastards book. Some of the best fantasy going around at the moment. Oceans 11 meets the Godfather in a sort of Renaissance-Venice with creepy magical edges.
And that Parthia/Indi/Rome things looks like a book I’ll have to hunt up. There’s just so damn little out there about Parthian history, but I’ve always wanted to find out more about it.

Can anyone recommend me books about famous Australians, specifically politicians, explorers or bushrangers? I

see that fits immin guy has a book out about Ned, but Im not sure unlike his writing style.

Can anyone recommend me books about famous Australians, specifically politicians, explorers or bushrangers? I
see that fits immin guy has a book out about Ned, but Im not sure unlike his writing style.

A few suggestions.

On the issue of Kelly, "Ned Kelly: A Short Life" by Ian Jones is highly recommended. Jones is probably the pre-eminent Kelly Scholar and in my opinion the work is surprisingly both erudite and highly readable. If your Local Library doesn't have a copy tell them to get one in.

Peter Carey won a Booker Prize for the "True History of the Kelly Gang" in 2001 but don't let that put you off. Carey appropriates the style of the Jeriderie Letter which was supposedly written by Kelly (although Jones reckons Joe Byrne wrote it) and as a result it is light on for punctuation. You get used to it after a few pages and Carey is informed and one of Oz's best writers.

And if you're in a historical mood Robyn Annear's Bearbrass concerning early settlement in Melbourne is terrific.