Books

What I have enjoyed is the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. The fictional ‘hero’ is woven neatly into actual historical scenarios during the 19th Century. Well researched and executed.

There’s another Flashman series, with the anti-hero being Harry’s uncle, or grandfather. Same style, earlier timeframe. Written by Robert Brightwell.

And yet another, round WW1, written by Paul Moore, with the “hero” being Sir Harry’s grandson, Harry.

I’ve read the first of the Brightwell ones. Wasn’t bad. I think I picked up on it from the Revolutions podcast on the South American revolutions liberating the Spanish empire…Bolivar, Sucre, O’Higgins, San Martin.

Regarding Ellroy, I read American Tabloid, being the 5 years to the JFK assassination, then The Cold Six Thousand, being the 5 years to the RFK/MLK Jr assassinations. Couldn’t get into the third, Blood’s A Rover.

I thought the LA Quartet, with The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential and White Jazz were all pretty good. They were my eye-opening venture into American crime fiction, which was such a difference from what I had been reading of English twee stuff where the big crime was farting in front of the vicar, or passing the port in the wrong directions. It is an effort though.

George Clooney was mooted to be making a White Jazz movie, but felt he’d made too many retro-style movies around that time. That one covered clearing the Mexicans out of Chavez Ravine to build Dodger Stadium in preparations for the Dodgers moving from Brooklyn in the mid-to-late 50’s.

1 Like

Chris Hammer’s second novel, Scrublands, was an outback noir ball-tearer.

I’m now reading his sequel, Silver, set up in ex-journo, Martin Scarsden’s home town, Port Silver, on the NSW north coast.

His new girlfriend, Mandy, from Scrublands, has already ventured up there with her baby son.

Haven’t quite finished it yet, but pretty much as good as Scrublands…but with more surf.

Chris Hammer was a prominent foreign correspondent for Dateline.

Scrublands has been optioned for TV.

2 Likes

Read ‘Scrublands’ only last week. Concur that it’s a good 'un.

1 Like

I really enjoyed Scrublands. Just purchased the sequel and looking forward to another good read.

Scrublands was his first novel but his second book. His first was about living on the Darling during the drought.

I’m going to have to read Scrublands again after his.

Just finished Rachel Cusk’s “In the Fold”. Like so much of her stuff, it’s full of awful people and horrendous marriages. Screamingly funny in places too. Not quite as forensic and astringent as her autobiographical stuff but still unmistakably from one of the more compelling writers around.

He’s won the New Blood Dagger Award from the UK Crime Writers Association for this book.

Anybody read any of Peter Corris’ Cliff Hardy novels? Looking for recommendations please.

I’ve read a few. They’re not bad. I can’t think of any that stands out. They’re all pretty good.

1 Like

I’m reading his final collection done post mortem called Meet You at the Toxteth (in Glebe). Quite enjoying them. Despite being Sydney born and bred, he was a mad Essendon fan.

I’ll be grabbing a few when i get home.

Cheers AN. I read a review of his oeuvre in this weekend’s The Australian (I only read it for the lit supplement :wink:) and can’t fathom how he passed me by. Off to Elizabeth’s (Perth’s best 2nd hand bookshop) this morning for a trawl.

Just completed The World According to Garp by John Irving. Remember seeing the movie and another adaptation, The Hotel New Hampshire, back in the 80s. Quite a different writer; clever and quirky but I found the book dragged occasionally. Wondering if anyone has done any of his other books?

1 Like

Owen Meany is John Irving’s best book IMO

1 Like

Cider House Rules is one of his too, I believe. Never read any, myself.

If you like wrestling and bear references Irving is the man for you.
Setting Free the Bears is a good read. The Fourth Hand is a bit weird but good all the same - especially for Packers fans. Water method Man and 158 Pound Marriage are both worth reading, but not as good as Garp and Hotel NH. I found Irving an enjoyable read - but I am not a big reader.

1 Like

Virginia Trioli interviewed Michael Connelly this morning.

Guts of his part is from about 15-30 minutes.

Just finished what is being advertised as Le Carre’s swan song, “Agent Running in the Field”. I know others in this forum wrote him off when the wall fell but I’ve always found him engaging and if it is to be his last he’s going out with a bang. Le Carre’s finishing on his home field and it’s a dead set page turner full of whipsmart characterisation. And it hangs dung on Putin, Trump and Boris. Of course he employs the easy fluent prose of a true master. I know he’s 88 but I hope someone seeks him out and encourages him to go around one more time, just so he can say he,s still going in his tenth decade.

1 Like

Sitting on my table ready to be read.

1 Like

Borrowed this from the library on Friday and finished it last night.

Every bit as good as ‘Scrublands’ I reckon. Hope there is more to come.

1 Like