BOOMERS EXPLODE on The Philippines, and take a few OUT!

Yeah I liked that. He did well to get everyone out of trouble, only problem he didn’t see the bloke under 20 phillipinos.

I agree with whoever said coming up with who started it is silly. No action justified the next action. If you think they did you will find an excuse for any war and many coward punches.

Removing stickers? Big deal. If you are offended, say so and ask for an apology. Probably an apology deserved not because the stickers might not have been slippery but for not asking to remove them first.

The flagrant foul - no excuse. Deserves whatever the normal penalty is for a flagrant foul - does not deserve an elbow to the head.

Kickert’s elbow was stupid. Deserved ejection and some ban. Imagine the brawl hadn’t started- what would he get - a two match ban? Or something? Well, that’s what he should still get. No excuse including what he thought he saw on Goulding.

Clearing the Filipino bench and all manner of reserves and officials. Way way bigger than what kickert did. Each should get what they deserve, some you would think multi-year or life bans. And people saying the Aus bench should have joined in. Stupid. Fuel on the fire stuff. Glad they didn’t.

Thon I think his first jump was less kicking than jumping over an Aus player. His second crazy jump was at someone who’s punched him in the back of the head. Possibly understandable but nothing gives you a right to kick. A several match ban I reckon.

Coach and officials being proud and blaming Australia for starting it our blaming refs - will look the stupidest of all.

Repeat. None of anyone’s actions in aggression was warranted by anything that came before.

Pretty sure Goulding and sobey got hit but did not lash out once. Kudos to them and the bench. Only calm heads out ther.

7 Likes

2 Likes

FIBA has an opportunity in the next couple of days to show the world if they overs/unders to FIFA in corruption levels.

The tweet that is getting accredited to Goulding is horrible. I’m no expert but looks extremely fake is only adding fuel to the fire. Not good. Hope he doesn’t suffer long term as a result on the basis it’s fake.

Apparently it is fake

Definitely looks fake.

Australians scuff up a cricket ball, wall to wall moral outrage and heart bleeding.

Australian players assaulted on foreign soil, a little news grab here or there.

Shrugs.

2 Likes

As a society we’re a strange bunch.
Pretty sure the scuffed cricket ball creates more news than the murder of Euryce Dixon cos, y’know, cricket is more important than someone’s life and all.

2 Likes

I don’t think it did?
And I don’t recall vigils for Steve Smith.
I understand your overall point, but I think you’re stretching it.

4 Likes

I agree with Wim, that was a stretch. The Euryce Dixon murder was very heavily covered and thousands supported her in candlelight vigils.

2 Likes

Staggered at the amount of argument in here. The footage is extremely clear.

1. Original Philippines foul on Goulding was a hard foul, almost definitely intentional, but no more than that.

2. The elbow by Kickert was a serious overreaction and completely unwarranted. A total dog act.

3. The reaction then by the Philippine team and officialls is also a complete overreaction, and is clearly unwarranted and disgraceful.

Not sure how anyone can see anything other than that from this footage.

24 Likes

Spot on SMJ - very well summarised.

Won’t somebody think of the poor sponsor stickers

2 Likes

Good post.

I reckon Thon’s actions should be regarded as heroic. His actions didn’t hurt anyone but sure as hell made them scatter. That was a gang attack and he took it upon himself to do something that may have actually stopped a serious injury. He should be applauded for his action

6 Likes

The secondary attack from the Phillipines players and officials was nothing short of an out of control gang attack / riot. Someone could have been killed. If a larger part of the crowd got involved, someone could have been seriously hurt or killed

Not unreasonable. Could easily consider his first jump in was trying to clear players and his chase out of the guy who hit him was the same. The jumping kick was overplayed as it was was more ‘get away’ than ‘cop this’. But I think he’d regret it still, and wouldn’t be surprised at some sanction.

Main thing is Kickert should get his right whack but should not be held responsible for whatever followed. He can’t blame the initial foul or a trip in the warm up, but equally the brawlers that stormed the court can’t blame him.

2 Likes

That fake Goulding tweet is a really low attempt at trying to avoid a sizeable law suit that his manager is threatening

1 Like

What was fake tweet?

1 Like