BOOMERS EXPLODE on The Philippines, and take a few OUT!

Tend to agree. although not sure I would say heroic, but I think thon was trying to scare, not hurt. I’m sure if he had wanted to land the kick, he would have.

3 Likes

The fake tweet was Goulding calling the Philippines’ players racist names and abused the entire organisation, crowd and country. It was shared by heaps of people and then they abused him for apparently deleting it as well. You can see that the background colour of the abusive comments doesn’t match the remainder of the tweet.

Still trying to digest what happened here.

There should be strong statements from Basketball Australia, FIBA etc

Glad Luc Longley put the coach on the agenda

Release the audio from that time out, reveal what street thugs they were.

I can’t believe how close players were from losing an eye, permanent brain damage, death.

Thugs, absolute thugs

1 Like

What a joke

BULACAN (FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 Asian Qualifiers) - Australia defeated the Philippines, 89-53, at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan to top Group B at the close of the Asian Qualifiers first round.

Chris Goulding scored 20 points on the back of 4 three-pointers to lead the Boomers to their fifth win in six Asian Qualifiers games. Daniel Kickert also scored in double-digits with 12 points for Australia, who were coming off a stunning loss to Japan a couple of days ago.

Andray Blatche and June Mar Fajardo top-scored for the home team with 12 and 10 points respectively. The Philippines needed a win here to rise to first place in the group, but they will settle for a 4-win, 2-loss card heading into the Second Round.

The game was paused in the third quarter following an incident involving several players from both teams that needed additional review from the game officials. After review, four players from Australia and nine players from Philippines were sent off the playing area. Play continued until the Philippines were left with only one player on the court.

As a result, the Philippines lost the game by default according to Article 21 of the Official Basketball Rules. The game score shall stand as at the time the game stopped (53-89) because Australia was ahead in the score. Per the same rule, Australia will receive 2 points in the classification and the Philippines will still receive 1 point (as is the case when a team loses a game).

Following that particular incident, FIBA will now open disciplinary proceedings against both teams. The decision(s) will be communicated in the coming days.

Both Australia and Philippines will be in Group F of the Second Round of the Asian Qualifiers, which will begin in September.

Surely this is not the actual stance taken?

The Chief Executive of Basketball Australia Anthony Moore has issued the following statement.

"Basketball Australia deeply regrets the incident in tonight’s match between the Boomers and the Philippines in Manila. We are extremely disappointed with what happened and our role in it.

“This is not the spirit in which sport should be played and certainly not in the spirit in which we aim to play basketball.

"We apologise to our fans and will await the penalties to be handed down.”

Anthony Moore be available to media today in Brisbane.

Details of his press conference will be issued this morning.

http://basketball.net.au/statement-on-world-cup-qualifier-in-philippines/

It’s a pretty good magic eight-ball.

2 Likes

good call by you

1 Like

What the boomers player did was a dog act, and ripping up the stickers without asking as if we owned the country was the height of arrogance especially when the country you’re visiting may have an inferiority complex.

It should have stayed on court though. What happens on field stays on there.

What ensues afterwards shows that country is maybe not yet at a level as to host international sport at the highest level.

1 Like

If I was Basketball Australia, I would be requesting all games at the world cup to be played in Japan or they stay home.

Philippines and Indonesia - can’t guarantee their safety

4 Likes

100% agree on this.

1 Like

I don’t think FIBA realise that most countries who have NBA tallent may have their pro teams veto their availability.

They have to rip the wold cup from them unless they can insure sufficient security

1 Like

ggg

What on earth point are you trying to make?

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with us apologising for our role in the incident. Which was to start the whole thing (but certainly not to ‘finish’ it).

The statement from FIBA says they’re investigating. It’s not the end of the matter I wouldn’t have thought (and if it is, I will join you in your outrage)

2 Likes

shrugs
I do.
I think it’s a bizarre part of our culture that we can’t wait to apologise for stuff like getting beaten the crap out of.

2 Likes

I have mixed emotions about this. The escalation can not be excused but I can’t help but feel that if an opponent had elbowed or struck a team mate with a forearm like the Australian player did in an amateur football context, we would have responded in a similar robust fashion. I mean, I hope we wouldn’t have gone ape in response but I reckon we would have.

Do you remember the Barry Hall (punching) incident?

Let’s say hypothetically, that after Hall threw that punch, there was a brawl with Eagles players and officials kicking the crap out of Swans players (I know the circumstances are not exactly analogous but bare with me).

Despite the fact that they weren’t the main perpetrators of the mayhem, wouldn’t you expect the Swans to apologise on behalf of Hall for sparking the incident? I would. I don’t think that’s unreasonable or defeatist in any way.

Nope.
I’d expect Hall to get suspended.

I wouldn’t expect a dozen guys to rain down on a different Swans player while he was defenceless on the ground, or for someone to hit a Swans player with a chair, or for a guy to be running around the scene pumping his fists in the air while others clap.

I have to say I wouldn’t expect that at all in any way.
Not even a tiny little bit.

But leaving all that aside, since when do football clubs apologise for a players reportable action?

If we were playing the Irish, sure, every friggin’ time.

No, that would clearly be ridiculous, and nobody disagrees with that?

But if you don’t think an apology would be warranted that’s cool. I disagree

1 Like

Just out of interest, have the Phillipines apologised?

1 Like