Bourke Street Part Deux

100%

Libs signed that deal, absolutely cynically, knowing they wouldn’t get in, to tip a billion of public money into the hands of developers for absolutely nothing. No-one in that cabinet is fit for office ever again.

5 Likes

To me it’s more random attacker vs Hubbie who hits her every 2nd week, and finally finishes the job.

I believe he had a fairly long record for an assortment of minor crimes.

Same with the Lindt cafe guy and the Bourke St car guy.

These guys are ultimately just grubs who latch onto some cause as an excuse for more damage. They’re not driven by it. IMO. And it would be a mistake to believe they are.

2 Likes

That’s a big call, I’ve got to admit I’ve never looked into it more closely.

(Very) off topic but it’s exactly what they did. Signed it about 2 weeks pre election, Labor were smashing them in the polls and had no East West as a clear, stated election policy.

All so the Libs could go “nah nah nah nah nah, Labor are wasting money” as soon as they lost.

3 Likes

Yep 100% correct, except it was about 5 weeks pre election (can’t sign anything in caretaker period, which is 4 weeks)

2 Likes

I always put it down to incompetence. I can only imagine the kickbacks that some of these cabinet members would have had come their way for pushing this through…

The Gvt’s intention to fund stage 1 of the project was formally announced on May 7th 2013 - its revisionist BS to suggest the project started a few weeks prior to the election. Hundreds of millions had already been spent on preliminary works & forcefully acquiring properties along the drilling area. Yes the formal contract for stage 1 was signed 5 weeks before the election as was 100% legally within the power of the Gvt at the time. If for example a new contract for a railway crossing removal or the Westagate tunnel was needed to be formalised a few weeks ago its nonsense to suggest Andrews should or would have waited & left the project in limbo. EWL was intended to be a 8+ year project with multiple stages so this idea that a Gvt can only commit to projects within their term is again nonsense. Andrews went to the election promising the contract was worthless - he was either really poorly advised or he deliberately sold a lie to the electorate. Under no circumstances was the state ever going to be able to exit the project without significant loss. The ultimate compensation paid to the consortium was $339M of the estimated 1.2B lost.

1 Like

Retracted. Don’t care and so off topic.

Best to have them leave & never to come back. Not sure how confining them to Australia somehow cures their radicalisation as getting to that point that you would otherwise leave means you’ve already been radicalised too much & present a real danger.

1 Like

Would’ve cost 22billion had it been built. Auditor General lays blame more at the feet of public servants not providing more explicit advice and of course at the feet of the incumbent govt fro so cynically pushing things through in its death throes. Costs offset by sale of acquired properties. The idea that you could find more fault with Labor than the shockingly irresponsible and downright spiteful Libs in this is difficult to comprehend.

But Wim is right, totally wrong thread.

2 Likes

My nephew has just passed all the exams and goes into do his Police Training early next year.

I am concerned for him but keeping my mouth shut, as this kind of violence seems to be getting worse.

If they are Australian citizens, not much choice but to let them back in ( we are part of an international treaty under which we do not render citizens stateless). The option was to let them go, let them back in, put them in jail and let them radicalise others.
For a while, the Government was looking at stripping those with dual citizenship ofAustralian citizenship, but that seems to have gone quiet as it difficult to draw the line at acts of terrorism and other crimes.
There is also an issue of morality, of letting them go and kill innocent people in other countries, as compared to doing our best to contain them here.
Governments have to make hard choices sometimes and can never guarantee 100% protection against criminal acts. Crimes of terrorism are no different

4 Likes

If they try to leave to do that we should just lock them up or better yet, just knock them off. They contribute nothing to our society in the first place, they HATE IT, and they want to go to a war zone and make a terrible place even worse.
Now some poor ■■■■■■■ is dead because our response was “HA! We took your passport! What are you going to do now?”

So you’re the one?

8 Likes

Don’t worry too much. Police get guns and trained how to use them; nutters bring knives to a gun fight, and the Police shoot to kill, well at least for Muslims.

You’re saying he only shot him because he was Muslim?

2 Likes

The deceased victim was an Essendon supporter. Picture of him with Sheedy in Pelligrinis restaurant.

Did you see how old mate was dancing around. A leg shot is not a viable option because they move so quickly you are likley to miss. Thats before you take into account the amount of training given to front line police and the fact that one of the quickest ways to kill someone is via the femoral artery which runs down the leg.

As for the Taser it good, but fires probes that have a habit of missing, or getting caught in clothing, you might have noticed old mate was wearing some sort of smock. Also 50000 volts into a bomb strapped to a chest could have interesting outcomes.

The effective distance to draw and react to someone charging with a knife is 10 meters. If you only have one chance, your going to take the one that gives you the best chance.

2 Likes

I’d rather “knock off” as you so casually put it, someone with your attitude to be honest.

1 Like