Flinders Street pedestrians run over

We should totally keep cutting spending on mental illness.

And if mental illness is characterised by religious mania and excessive drug taking?

Isn’t that a symptom of the illness?

And what happens when the mentally ill refuse to take their medication because it makes them fell fuzzy. A friend of my mum’s got murdered by her son with that excuse. Her daughters repeatedly warned her not to let him in the house because he was violent.

And I’m sick of hearing that drug addicts are mentally ill. The drugs often cause the illness. I don’t know what the solution is, but being namby-pambies isn’t one of them.

If this piece of dross claims he was mentally ill, he should still be locked away for life just to protect the community. That’s the priority, not the well-being of the offender.

Too many people watch movies and believe that’s how cops should act.

Normal to wish things could've been done better. Useless to have social media twits claim to be experts.

We’ll all remember just that in Game Day threads, … after the team is released every week this year, … and ESPECIALLY when the club chooses it’s coaching staff, and they then go about doing their jobs … right Barnzy? :stuck_out_tongue:

Video of him doing burnouts prior https://youtube.com/embed/tDE5fjXeNPk

That’s not a burnout/doughnuts…not even close, but driving slowly in circles doesn’t sound as exciting when reporting it.

Cops are on a hiding to nothing on this one, they are clearly following him in the video, questions will be asked as to why they didn’t stop him earlier.

Those donuts last longe enough for what must have been dozens of cops in that area to commandeer enough vehical’s at the intersection to ram him . I know that sounds a bit hollywood, but would not have been difficult thing to do

Your theory sounds good in, well, theory.
But it’s operating on the highly unlikely assumption that increased police activity at the scene wouldn’t have changed the behaviour of the perpetrator

Absolutely appalling incident.

The tweet by that young journalist is so inappropriate and self indulgent, he is quite rightly being slammed on twitter.
As if I didn’t have enough contempt for the media.

I hope all the remaining victims fighting for their lives pull through.
Sad day indeed :’(

Normal to wish things could've been done better. Useless to have social media twits claim to be experts.

We’ll all remember just that in Game Day threads, … after the team is released every week this year, … and ESPECIALLY when the club chooses it’s coaching staff, and they then go about doing their jobs … right Barnzy? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm has anything proven me wrong? Had the club won a flag since 2000? A final in the last decade?

There is absolutely no way you could see someone doing donuts and think “that guy could kill up to 20 people if we don’t do something right now”

And we know (now) that simply blocking the entirely of all roads out of there wouldn’t have worked… footpath is fine.

If he was high on meth or whatever, it is possible that tazing (if they had them to begin with) him would do nothing. Cops on a hiding to nothing here. They can’t prevent everything.

Yeah, I know. Thing is though, . they had been chasing this guy for most of the day, … he was a “Wanted” felon, . or at least suspect in a stabbing etc.

The air wing had been tracking him for quite some time, and tracked him from Yarraville, Cops gave chase & aborted earlier in the day … so my question would be, "Did the cops standing watching at Flinders St know who he was? Had they received the call on the radio that the Police force was trying to apprehend him?? If so, should they not have tried to arrest him, perhaps (dependent on reports of how dangerous he was) at gunpoint? Even shot him?

As someone said, the Vic Police had quite the record when it came to shooting people that were off their rocker, & posed perhaps much less of a threat?

Perhaps through some bad decisions from young, and or too trigger happy individuals, & the resultant bad press, they’ve gone too far in the other direction?

I’m not saying one way or the other, just throwing it up for debate, not stating an opinion btw.

Yeah, I know. Thing is though, . they had been chasing this guy for most of the day, .. he was a "Wanted" felon, . or at least suspect in a stabbing etc.

The air wing had been tracking him for quite some time, and tracked him from Yarraville, Cops gave chase & aborted earlier in the day … so my question would be, "Did the cops standing watching at Flinders St know who he was? Had they received the call on the radio that the Police force was trying to apprehend him?? If so, should they not have tried to arrest him, perhaps (dependent on reports of how dangerous he was) at gunpoint? Even shot him?

As someone said, the Vic Police had quite the record when it came to shooting people that were off their rocker, & posed perhaps much less of a threat?

Perhaps through some bad decisions from young, and or too trigger happy individuals, & the resultant bad press, they’ve gone too far in the other direction?

I’m not saying one way or the other, just throwing it up for debate, not stating an opinion btw.

Quite a reasonable question to ask if the rules of engagement are too restrictive.

Problem is before they got tightened up there was a number of fatalities during pursuits. Very tough to get it right.

Plenty of cases of “suicide by police” in those police shootings. If people want to die, have the courage to do it just to themselves, not screw up, or even take, someone else’s life with them.

If so, should they not have tried to arrest him, perhaps (dependent on reports of how dangerous he was) at gunpoint? Even shot him?

From memory, the last one that was shot dead was that kid that ran at them with a knife.

Yeah, I know. Thing is though, . they had been chasing this guy for most of the day, .. he was a "Wanted" felon, . or at least suspect in a stabbing etc.

You have an opinion, you keep asking the same question to reinforce it.

There is absolutely no way you could see someone doing donuts and think "that guy could kill up to 20 people if we don't do something right now"

That act on it’s own is tough to tell how it eventuates.
But they were following him all morning weren’t they? Through South Yarra. As soon as he reached the city they had to know that the risks of something going wrong were going to escalate.

At the time he was doing donuts was their best chance to contain him. As soon as he heard the cops, he drove up Swanston Street.

I think they were hoping after the schasesee through South Yarra, he’d end up on the freeway and away from high risk casualties, but he instead went through the city.

I think they’re valid questions.
I hope the police force are asking similar questions right now.
No-one’s criticising the men on the ground (I hope).
The guy was armed, yes?
Doing donuts in the city’s central intersection.
I wonder about whether Melbourne even has a tactical force group, and combined with the Lindt siege, whether the call will ever be made to hand over to them.
We’re constantly told that we’re prepared.
They weren’t ready for a guy with a known and current history who gave plenty of warning.

The guy was armed, yes?
I wonder about whether Melbourne even has a tactical force group, and combined with the Lindt siege, whether the call will ever be made to hand over to them.
They weren’t ready for a guy with a known and current history who gave plenty of warning.

And what warning did they have that he was going to drive the car on the footpath and mow people down?

Police have been criticised for not doing more to stop the driver earlier.

They had received reports of two men fighting in Windsor at 2:15am. Police said one of the men was the suspect in the incident in the CBD and he had left before they arrived at the scene.

Police later pursued the suspect in the Melbourne CBD incident on the other side of the city, in Yarraville, before pulling back for safety reasons while the air wing monitored the situation as vehicle travelled towards the city.

The driver was later seen doing burnouts outside Flinders Street Station before finally driving through Bourke Street Mall after 1:30pm.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said he was “rock solid” behind the decisions police made while trying to apprehend the driver.

“I am satisfied from my perspective — I emphasise my perspective — all decisions that our officers made were in the interests of trying to provide community safety. I am confident in that.”

"We did make a number of attempts to arrest that driver yesterday, both through the southern and inner western suburbs.

“When we do pursuits, calls are made by both the officers doing the pursuit and the pursuit controller about whether to continue pursuits based on the behaviour — largely on the behaviour — of the driver.”

The guy was armed, yes?

And what warning did they have that he was going to drive the car on the footpath and mow people down?

Maybe I have some of the basic facts wrong, but…
He stabbed someone that day
He’d taken a hostage.
He was behaving in a manner that no-one does in The most central part of Melbourne.
He was(?) armed.

I’m assuming that was a legitimate question.

Police have been criticised for not doing more to stop the driver earlier.

They had received reports of two men fighting in Windsor at 2:15am. Police said one of the men was the suspect in the incident in the CBD and he had left before they arrived at the scene.

Police later pursued the suspect in the Melbourne CBD incident on the other side of the city, in Yarraville, before pulling back for safety reasons while the air wing monitored the situation as vehicle travelled towards the city.

The driver was later seen doing burnouts outside Flinders Street Station before finally driving through Bourke Street Mall after 1:30pm.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said he was “rock solid” behind the decisions police made while trying to apprehend the driver.

“I am satisfied from my perspective — I emphasise my perspective — all decisions that our officers made were in the interests of trying to provide community safety. I am confident in that.”

"We did make a number of attempts to arrest that driver yesterday, both through the southern and inner western suburbs.

“When we do pursuits, calls are made by both the officers doing the pursuit and the pursuit controller about whether to continue pursuits based on the behaviour — largely on the behaviour — of the driver.”

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-21/melbourne-cbd-incident-victoria-police-chief-defends-officers/8200206

Again, for clarity, I am not criticising or even questioning “the officers.”