Boxing Thread

I reckon about 2. Some shot without being a favourite.

He hits very very very very hard. And knocks people out a lot.
If he gets one good one in early, he could be in business. If he doesn’t land anything meaningful early on, I reckon naah.

1 Like

He fights UFC like a boxer. Comparatively poor wrestler and doesn’t kick much.

1 Like

Conor is an amazing stand up boxer in the UFC, packs power in the left but most importantly quick and his precision had made a fool out of many and has ended many fights in 10 seconds or less. He doesn’t look like a dangerous boxer but he keeps knocking them out and he’s very, very fast, every fighter that has gone up against him has commented on his speed. His timing would be the best in the UFC bar none. He’s an extremely verstaile fighter, his spinning kicks and flying knees coupled with his dangerous left hook is a reason why he’s one, if not the best UFC fighter in the world. His ground game is fine, probably a minor weakness is comparison to his deadly standing game, it’s not bad, he was submitted by Nate Diaz but that was in just one of few losses and he’s improved heaps since then and has worked on it a lot. I would say whether good or bad his defence goes missing sometimes, in that he’ll actually like to be hit. I’d also say his stamina is probably on the weaker side, he does tire.

Realistically probably a 3. You could make arguments for it to push to a 4 or even the other way and say just a 2.

Going for Conor is:

• in peak age whilst Floyd is 40 and hasn’t fought for 2 years
  • Conor has a great left hook and has great timing and precision
  • you throw one good punch and you can win, just one
  • he’s a southpaw, works slightly in his favour in comparison to the majority of Floyds previous opponents
  • Conor will have a complete unorthdox style, it will take a few rounds for Floyd to work it out
  • Floyd has barley knocked anyone out in 20 years

That being said Floyd has the best defence EVER, no one hits him. It’d rate as the greatest upset in history if he won.

Basically my prediction is: They’ll dance around for the first few rounds, Conor will come hard at him early but’ll barely land more than a few hard punches, nothing gets past Floyds defence. Floyd won’t have the power to knock him out but’ll keep winning point after point and round after round until late when Conor tires and he lands a mores substantial hits. Conor will land the odd hit but will lose in decision relatively decisively. Floyd knows how to win rounds and doesn’t care about knocking opponents out.

1 Like

Yeah thanks. I rang up and basically all I had to do is say “yes” and it said it was ordered, no password. I was just worried it wouldn’t come on at start time.

1 Like

who are the fans going for. Connor or Mayweather?

if Mayweather lost would he be a laughing stock in boxing circles forever?

Conor is the rank outsider but has the bulk of the betting money behind him.

Certainly helps that, as TISM once sang, he might be a ■■■■ but he’s not a ■■■■■■■ ■■■■. Floyd, on the other hand…

Large, large majority for Conor. Boxing purists and fans going for Floyd because if he loses Boxing loses a lot of respect.

He wouldn’t be a laughing stock (he’s 49-0) but his legacy would be tarnished. Conor really only has to last 12 rounds for those doubts about boxing to surface. Conor has very little to lose if he makes it past the first few rounds.

Great summary and can’t argue.

To say Floyd’s a bit if a d!ck would be an understatement, so you can’t help but think that the money against him is wishful thinking.

I haven’t really followed Conner too much, but you’d have to think his best chance is a heavy punch KO or TKO in the first 3-4 whilst fresh. After that i suspect it could get ugly (unless Conner reverts to UFC midfight, in which case I hope destroys the Money man)

Can’t argue that it has brought with it a lot of people who aren’t generally watchers of boxing.

F Mayweather was well known among followers of the middle weight decisions in the 2000’s but not well known generally. He had a contract with HBO (I think) at the time and was earning reasonable clip but nothing that would be considered outrageous. Then around 06/07, he bought his contract with HBO back for $750k and began promoting himself and that’s when everything changed. When O De La Hoya accepted Mayweather’s challenge (the card which was co-promoted by Mayweather), Mayweather portrayed himself as the antithesis of the much loved De La Hoya. Sledged him, his record, his heritage at every opportunity. Mayweather adopted the mantle of the heel and then proceeded to pummel Del La Hoya into retirement. The audience was outraged but it made Mayweather the most disliked but conversely, the most watched fighter in all of the sport. People paid to watch him lose. And the more he won the more people paid in the hope that he would get belted. In all of his fights post De La Hoya, he is the bad guy, including this one. There is so much interest in this bout because combat sport followers want to see him lose and even casual observers want to see him lose also. He’s a genius.

2 Likes

He’s also a dog that will destroy McGregor.

Up there with Wayne Carey’s of the world.

Just out of curiosity has Floyd had an opponent trash talk him like this and play mind games to this level? McGregors only hope is that he can get Floyd out of his usual style and taunt him to get Floyd agitated which may weaken his defence and leave him open.

There are two reasons why Mayweather sought out McGregor for this event. 1) The cross-over appeal had the potential to generate an income that has never been seen before and 2) Mayweather would win. This is the reason Mayweather stopped at 49-0 after beating A Berto and didn’t take on one more fight to get to 50-0. No boxer could match the hype of a potential McGregor match up. Who better to take on to break the holy grail of boxing records? And another thing about Mayweather, no one is more disciplined or trains harder than him. No one. He knows everything about himself and everything about his opponents. Including McGregor. If he didn’t think he’d have McGregor covered, and that’s all aspects of C McGregor, he wouldn’t have approached him.

McGregor will need to be disciplined. He has the reach advantage and quick straight punches. I think Mayweather’s guard is open to a right jab and it screws his own jab. McGregor is then best off keeping the fight at range, sticking and moving.

McGregor weighed in 5 pounds larger and he cuts well. So could be 10 pounds bigger tomorrow. That’s an advantage.

I hope Conner has been foxing and gives him a round house to the head then followed up by some quick hammer punches whilst on the ground before his disqualification.

2 Likes

They said he’ll lose his purse if he goes full ape but they didn’t say anything about post-match? Should go full spinning side kick and then a choke out.

1 Like

…followed by a Royal Rumble like event by both members goons. I suspect large number of the boxing, UFC community would put up the crowd funding required to replace the purse, post bail and supply the post fight legal representation (not that he needs the cash).