Boxing Thread

Yes!!!
I was being facetious before saying 10 seconds but 2-3 rounds is about spot on

Golovkin would murder him.

Trilogy!! Diaz v McGregor!!

Horne would murder him

1 Like

But youā€™d pay to watch it.

Hes not stupid, he fought mayweather because a) it would make him very rich b) very low risk of him getting hurt bad. He isnā€™t going to start fighting KO artists. No point being rich if your a vegetable, he doesnt need to take that risk.

Probably not but with 12 months more of ring training it would be an intriguing contest.

1 Like

You can say what you like and guess what would happen, but the facts are Conor went toe to toe with him for and was dead even on the scorecards until Round 8 when he tired badly, and that was through stamina and not through anything Mayweather did. How many people told me Conor wouldnā€™t last more than a few rounds. He did, and won the first three easily. Conorā€™s withstood a lot harder punches than Mayweather could ever throw or has ever thrown. Thatā€™s off a few months of boxing and learning all the nuances, which are many. Today Conor landed 30 more punches (111) than Pacquiao and a lot more than a long list of previous opponents. I think that is an incredible result having never stepped into a ring before today and comfortably withstood anything Mayweather threw at him. His stamina was always a weakness and once the heavy legs kicked in his hands dropped.

No one is saying heā€™s a champion boxer or anything but off 2 months training to match it with the best is an incredible show of McGregorā€™s skill. Floyd might be 40 but heā€™s had over 25 years of training experience compared to a few months. I think If you gave McGregor another year of experience and stamina heā€™d be a good boxer, and hardly garbage. I think what he did today surely earnt the respect of many, and I guess annoyed boxing purists in that McGregor actually showed some skill out there.

4 Likes

Bingo!

disagree CB on the toe to toe part, In his last 15 bouts, Mayweather only really hunted down his man down once and was versus a old washed Mosley. With Conor he walked him down liked a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . Like seriously, Floyd was on the offensive despite Conorā€™s reach, height and weight advantage. There was nothing in Conors offensive that scared him and Of course Conor was going to land alot more compare to Pac, With Pac, he was on the defensive cover up thus he landed fewer, with Conor he actually open up and made himself more susceptible to getting hitā€¦again hands up and chin down . thats boxing.

And what do you mean he got tired because of stamina and nothing of what Mayweather did? Body shots baby. He was getting them in through the first 4 rounds, boxers know the body shots zaps stamina and Floyd got his fair share in. That helped ruin Conor later on.

And i disagree with the stamina part too mate. Being a Conor fan, he really has got a major major issue with that stamina of his. During the Diaz fight, a fight that amazingly went the distance he got gassed in 3rd and the 4th! Like any above average boxer will exploit that. His not use to fights going the distance since he ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  KOs them early, No 25 years of training can band-aid the facts that he doesnā€™t last after 30 mins.

After 25 years of training and experience will i think Conor will be a decent boxer? Nope. I reckon with all that , heā€™ll be a journey man. Someone with 20 wins but loses 10. Not good enough to be world champion and but will win his fair few. Trust me, what Conor showed in thereā€¦really nothing can fixed that. The angles, the footwork, the head movementā€¦you either have it or you dont.

I reckon he sticks to MMA, stamina is a huge issue and but ā– ā– ā– ā–  me that KO power is unreal. Not a hater but theyā€™ll be someone out there that will exploit that besides Diaz and maybe ends the hype.

4 Likes

Agree to disagree then (despite in your post you actually agreed with most of what I said).

You could just easily argue that Floyd only really took control once Conor tired which was around round 7/8 or so. We all know Floyd is the better boxer so you donā€™t need a degree in Engineering to work that one out. No oneā€™s arguing that Floyd won and won well in the last few rounds, Iā€™m arguing what a great achievement it was from Conor to go from a few months training to matching it with Floyd for as long as he did. People were saying he wouldnā€™t even land a punch, he did, 111 of them, people were saying he wouldnā€™t win a round, he did, at least the first 3 and many including a judge say 1 more (so 4-5 heading into Round 10) and many said heā€™d be knocked out by Round 2/3, and again, he wasnā€™t. The man himself said he was impressed by Conor and had trouble with his angles. To come from that to what he showed yesterday was nothing short of extraordinary and shows the pure talent and skill that Conor has and itā€™s whats made a world star.

Yes, body shots may have made him tired but Mayweather hits would have half the juice that heā€™d be used to. The body and head shots would have done little. What Mayweather did smartly was making Conor move him which Conor said himself he burnt far too much energy ā€œonly to be resetā€. Credit to Mayweather as he knew exactly what he was doing in trying to exploit a weakness. I think Conor degrading in stamina had very little to do with Mayweather and more to do with never experiencing a 12 3 minute round fight.

And I posted prefight he his stamina is a weakness for Conor so youā€™re actually agreeing with me. DId I say 25 years of experience would make him a good boxer? Nope. I said those years of experience count for a lot. What you think he could be in an imaginary world is all guesswork. What heā€™s actually shown is some good skill for a guy with a few months training. I definitley think he stays in UFC, obviously. And good luck to those trying to exploit his stamina, they usually donā€™t get through the first few rounds. Diaz has a head like a box of cement so heā€™s one of the few that stand a chance of lasting.

Interesting to see if McGregor takes what he has learned from this experience with boxing back to the UFC and if it makes him a better striker or worse. From what Iā€™ve seen of McGregorā€™s work in the octagon, it requires different positioning and footwork because of the potential areas of attack and is probably why pure boxers arenā€™t really suited to that form of combat.

On a related note, I canā€™t believe two of the three judges only gave 1x round to McGregor. I gave him 3x definitely with another possibly.

1 Like

Watching the replay now, McGregor backed him up at the start of the 9th. Ref broke the action due to a low blow from McGregor but that came after the first blow that caused some damage.

1 Like

Canelo v Golovkin is here!

V Ortiz hits very hard for a 140 pounder.

Right in the solar plexus.

Canā€™t seem to be able to stream the fight directly to my phone. No problem accessing the Mayweather/McGregor fight. Golden Boy will need to look at how he does business if he wants people to watch his promotions.

DRAW!

1x judge had it 7-5 rounds to Golvkin
1x judge scored it 10-2 to Alvarez
1x judge had it a draw.