Boys from the bush - Overlooked?

Keep reading about all the usual suspects from the NAB , AIS , state leagues, but wonder about all the great talent in the various country leagues. I know that often that a lot of the players in these leagues play the game because they love it and are not interested in giving up there well rounded lives for the intense atmosphere of AFL.

Having said that I recently went to a couple of finals in the Goulburn Valley league. I saw a young guy called Luke Morris, I understand only 20 yo playing for Kyabram[ BTW Ky play in Bomber colours]. This kid can play. Great mark, super quick, accurate 50 m on the run left foot goal kicker. Doesn't mind going in for the hard ball. I have been told that he is an accountancy student and may not be interested in playing in the bigtime. However he starred in the GF up here and IMHO was superior to team mates such as Nick Holman and Liam Ogden who are Bushies players and are highly rated and expected to be picked up in the draft. Surely someone from the club was up there as well as  the O&M finals but perhaps not.

My point is there are probably lots of players such as him in your local league and with the problems we have with draft picks there are obviously some potential Leon Bakers out there.

We know that people from the Club read BB . Maybe we can give them some clues.

I once watched a 16 year old Tom Rockliff kick 6 playing in the centre at Benalla Saints...these guys would need to prove themselves at VFL level first.

Former Dogs recruit Rick Symes booted 100+ for Corowa- Rutherglen...couldnt crack a AFL game

Some of these kids are pretty soft and hate the city life so dont want to move away.

I heard of a bloke kicking 21 or more for Horsham one game...not even mentioned at VFL level but gets good coin playing Div footy in Melbs

Believe me, there's plenty of "mature" age guys here in Tassie that could step in to AFL and play a role. In our state league, mind you, so not exactly a country league.

Do people really think guys are going to go straight from country leagues, into AFL, with no stop in between at U18s or VFL/WAFL ?

I can't see it. I can't see clubs taking that big a leap of faith - which is what it is - with guys who haven't bothered to make the leap to trying themselves at the level down. Completely unreasonable ask IMHO.

Do people really think guys are going to go straight from country leagues, into AFL, with no stop in between at U18s or VFL/WAFL ?

I can't see it. I can't see clubs taking that big a leap of faith - which is what it is - with guys who haven't bothered to make the leap to trying themselves at the level down. Completely unreasonable ask IMHO.

Nearest thing I've seen to that in modern times would be Gwilt. Not a country league, but he was taken by St Kilda straight from a Noble Park premiership side in the EFL.

Nearest thing I've seen to that in modern times would be Gwilt. Not a country league, but he was taken by St Kilda straight from a Noble Park premiership side in the EFL.
Isaac Smith is another one. He played only a handful of games of VFL having been picked out of the Ballarat league before going to Hawthorn.

sort of related i think. Wayne Carey:

In 1987, Carey was recruited by North Melbourne after North Melbourne club CEO Greg Miller met with Sydney's football department to discuss the transfer to North Melbourne of John Longmire, a highly regarded junior key position player. Once that deal concluded, Miller then enquired about Carey, who like Longmire, was zoned to the Swans due to having lived in New South Wales. He made a token offer of $10,000 as transfer fee, to which the Swans surprisingly agreed.[8][9] As a 16 year old, Carey made the move to Melbourne and played for the North Melbourne under 19s, where he starred in their 1988 premiership side, coached by Denis Pagan.[10] Carey was promoted to the senior list the following year and, after dislocating his left shoulder in a practice match early in the year, made his first appearance for the North Melbourne seniors as an 18 year old in round 11 of 1989 against Fitzroy.

In 1987, Carey was recruited by North Melbourne after North Melbourne club CEO Greg Miller met with Sydney's football department to discuss the transfer to North Melbourne of John Longmire, a highly regarded junior key position player. Once that deal concluded, Miller then enquired about Carey, who like Longmire, was zoned to the Swans due to having lived in New South Wales. He made a token offer of $10,000 as transfer fee, to which the Swans surprisingly agreed.[8][9] As a 16 year old, Carey made the move to Melbourne and played for the North Melbourne under 19s, where he starred in their 1988 premiership side, coached by Denis Pagan.[10] Carey was promoted to the senior list the following year and, after dislocating his left shoulder in a practice match early in the year, made his first appearance for the North Melbourne seniors as an 18 year old in round 11 of 1989 against Fitzroy.

Nah. That's just the old system.

Didn't Isaac Smith tear it up in a VFL grand final? That is reasonably good exposed form. Others in this thread are suggesting picking up guys who've never played above Ovens & Murray standard. Just wouldn't happen.

Nah. That's just the old system.

ahh too easy, was going to say, the swans got that one wrong....

Josh jenkins lake boga.

When Johnny Beveridge was recruiting officer at the Saints, a procession of coaches relied on his ability to plucvk names from obscurity and Gwilt has been the most successful of those.

I am sure the great Stephen Wells down at Geelong has the ability to do the same thing.

Just not sure Dodoro would even think of taking that approach.

Josh jenkins was rookie listed…so got a year at vfl to show himself before adelaide grabbed him.

Who did they grab him from? I hope whoever was smart enough to rookie him would have been smart enough to keep him, or to be suitably rewarded.

Anyone who thinks AFL clubs don't scout country leagues is a complete dill.

Josh jenkins lake boga.

But he'd played NBL. Smith had played VFL - very very well.

The point I'm making is the guys (we all know one, or more) who would've been asked to come down & try city football but either can't be arsed, too happy where they are or worried they'd fail.

And people expect a club to take a massive risk on them... when they haven't taken that risk themselves?

It's a hoop they make guys jump through - see how they adapt out of their comfort zone, with more training, new team-mates & a better standard etc.

I'm pretty sure the next 2 or 3 times Beveridge tried that trick it worked so well it contributed to getting him sacked.

The thing is, the TAC teams and VFL sides are constantly scouring their areas for the likely talent, so it becomes extremely unlikely that anyone will bypass those levels these days. The pathways are heavily watched.

The wildcard - where perhaps it could still happen - would be remote leagues in WA, NT etc. But there are factors working against those boys, mainly the desire to have seen the kids in structured fitness programs etc.

Wayne Beddison

The thing is, the TAC teams and VFL sides are constantly scouring their areas for the likely talent, so it becomes extremely unlikely that anyone will bypass those levels these days. The pathways are heavily watched.
The wildcard - where perhaps it could still happen - would be remote leagues in WA, NT etc. But there are factors working against those boys, mainly the desire to have seen the kids in structured fitness programs etc.

The biggest thing with those leagues is the standard. Most of them are appalling.