Boys from the bush - Overlooked?

The thing is, the TAC teams and VFL sides are constantly scouring their areas for the likely talent, so it becomes extremely unlikely that anyone will bypass those levels these days. The pathways are heavily watched.
The wildcard - where perhaps it could still happen - would be remote leagues in WA, NT etc. But there are factors working against those boys, mainly the desire to have seen the kids in structured fitness programs etc.

This, mostly.

There are exceptions - some TAC sides do selection badly through favouring a particular region or having one all-powerful list guy who plays favourites with players/feeder clubs or similar.  Bendigo is/was notorious for that, and hence why Crammeri missed out completely on the TAC system and had to take the slow VFL route.  Hopefully as the TAC Cup gets its ■■■■ together this will happen less.

Other case is a talented kid who lives on the fringe of a big zone - again Bendigo is the classic case in that a big chunk of their zone's population is in Mildura which is the best part of 4 hours drive away.  Getting a kid to commit to that sort of travel on top of the lifestyle/professionalism requirements demanded of someone on the draft track is a big ask.  Many simply can't be bothered (remember, only about ~10% or less of TAC players get drafted after all) and just settle in playing local footy with their mates.  Some will try the footy route again when they're a bit older and maybe conscious of missing an opportunity, but it's pretty tough - they'll often be out of school and have work committments, plus drink/drugs are a bigger thing, they'll often have stopped growing and let themselves go physically a bit by then, and the coaching pathways for early 20s blokes are not as good as the TAC system.  This is the Duscher story as far as I can tell, talented kid from the fringe of a zone, not overly fanatical about making the AFL in his teens, didn't commit to TAC footy, changed his mind in his early 20s and made the move to VFL, and is probably earning perfectly decent $, but hasn't quite made the step up onto and AFL list.

But the exceptions aren't as common as you'd think.  Frankly a decent (not standout) TAC player would be one of the top players in many local teams, and that's purely on talent.  If he kept his fitness together he'd be able to run most country footballers into the ground and just do what he liked later in games especially.  Most blokes like this get found, and if they don't end up in the TAC then it's because of their own choices.

You guys mention that, however, watch some of the talent that will be featured on FoxFooty's 'The Recruit' in 2014. 

Is aimed at 20+ year olds who have never been in a high level system (State league reserves or higher). 

Apparently the early numbers have been incredible. Going to be amazing watching tens of thousands whittled down to a dozen in hope of chasing a dream rookie contract with an AFL club. 

This story pretty much covers everything from HMs post.  And he's a ruck, and we tested him when he weighed 140 kgs!  And he's obviously taken Brady Dawe's spot at Norwood.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/norwood-player-sam-baulderstone-loses-28kg-in-a-year/story-e6freckc-1226643207489

THIS time last year Sam Baulderstone was playing for Mount Compass and tipped the scales at 140kg.

The 22-year-old ruckman ate takeaway a few nights a week, soft drinks were a key part of his diet and he was usually tired by half-time.

“I was eating whenever I wanted, whenever,‘‘ Baulderstone says.

“I didn‘t really care.‘‘

Things changed in August when the 200cm giant received an unexpected phone call from Essendon‘s recruiting officer Merv Keane.

Having impressed the club during the state country championships in NSW and a Great Southern Football League match, Baulderstone went to Melbourne for a series of tests.

Essendon overlooked him at the AFL drafts but Baulderstone signed with Norwood one of four SANFL clubs that contacted him at the end of the season.Then he turned around his footy career and lifestyle.

He has lost a whopping 28kg since August and has played three league games for the Redlegs.

“It was definitely a surprise getting the phone call,‘‘ Baulderstone, of Broadview, says.

“Everyone knew I was an Essendon supporter so I thought people were joking around.

“Once they came and watched me, that was when I decided I‘m going to take 2013 seriously and really give footy a crack.

“I changed my lifestyle, became healthier and started doing all the right things.

“I had interest from a few (SANFL) clubs but it was hard to turn a premiership club down.‘‘

Baulderstone finished last season strongly, polling second in the GSFL‘s Mail Medal and third in Mount Compass‘s best and fairest.

He shed 10kg after starting on Norwood‘s individual fitness program in October and another 18kg since joining pre-season training.

“The kilos just fell off.

“I was running roughly 20km a week.

“Now I can get around the ground more, can stay out there for sustained periods and I can get through games well.‘‘

Norwood has given Baulderstone a second shot in the SANFL after he played reserves for North Adelaide in 2008-09.

Whyalla-raised Baulderstone says he regrets not making a better fist of his time with the Roosters after moving to Adelaide to live with his grandparents.

“It was a bit of immaturity when I was younger I didn‘t realise what was there and the opportunities I had.‘‘

Baulderstone, who is sidelined for six weeks with a hand injury, is determined to make the most of his second chance.

Getting drafted to the AFL is his dream but if it does not happen he is ``happy to play 10 years with Norwood‘‘.

“I‘ve come a long way.

“I‘m a lot happier, I‘m enjoying my footy.‘‘

You guys mention that, however, watch some of the talent that will be featured on FoxFooty's 'The Recruit' in 2014.
Is aimed at 20+ year olds who have never been in a high level system (State league reserves or higher).
Apparently the early numbers have been incredible. Going to be amazing watching tens of thousands whittled down to a dozen in hope of chasing a dream rookie contract with an AFL club.

Yes, but I'd posit that the sudden drive to do it is from the TV angle. Otherwise, those same blokes would happily play at whatever comp they are in. Of course, part of that might be that they just cannot see a pathway or don't believe in themselves, but fixing that pathway would then lead them to junior rep footy, state leagues, etc. But the OP wanted guys from outside that structure.
The truth imo is that most of the really freakish guys, the ones with the raw talent to make it and who dominate each week in country footy don't make the jump because they can't be stuffed. Grant Weekes at Golden Square, for instance. Incredibly good country player, didn't like the demands of a stint at VFL, and freely admits he's happier working on the family property and playing weekends with mates.
I saw Stephen Oliver at Castlemaine in the 90's, and he was Coleman like. Unstoppable. Carlton zone, they spent years trying to get a league player out of him but to no avail. He just couldn't handle the requirements.
The clubs know full well that these boys are out there. But they also know the reasons why they are on the fringes, and the only way to demonstrate a mentality to "make it" is usually a stint in the very leagues that make them no longer a hail Mary pick.
Or as HM mentioned, a kid gets missed but then usually gets snaffled back up by the system again. Matt Farrelly at Echuca a case in point. Had an excellent country year after getting super fit, scored an invite to the " young guns" game, impressed and was lured down to Bendigo for Vfl this season. Is now on recruiters radars, but its the year at VFL that will be in his favour for rookie-ing, not the season for Echuca.

This story pretty much covers everything from HMs post.  And he's a ruck, and we tested him when he weighed 140 kgs!  And he's obviously taken Brady Dawe's spot at Norwood.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/norwood-player-sam-baulderstone-loses-28kg-in-a-year/story-e6freckc-1226643207489

THIS time last year Sam Baulderstone was playing for Mount Compass and tipped the scales at 140kg.

The 22-year-old ruckman ate takeaway a few nights a week, soft drinks were a key part of his diet and he was usually tired by half-time.

“I was eating whenever I wanted, whenever,‘‘ Baulderstone says.

“I didn‘t really care.‘‘

Things changed in August when the 200cm giant received an unexpected phone call from Essendon‘s recruiting officer Merv Keane.

Having impressed the club during the state country championships in NSW and a Great Southern Football League match, Baulderstone went to Melbourne for a series of tests.

Essendon overlooked him at the AFL drafts but Baulderstone signed with Norwood one of four SANFL clubs that contacted him at the end of the season.Then he turned around his footy career and lifestyle.

He has lost a whopping 28kg since August and has played three league games for the Redlegs.

“It was definitely a surprise getting the phone call,‘‘ Baulderstone, of Broadview, says.

“Everyone knew I was an Essendon supporter so I thought people were joking around.

“Once they came and watched me, that was when I decided I‘m going to take 2013 seriously and really give footy a crack.

“I changed my lifestyle, became healthier and started doing all the right things.

“I had interest from a few (SANFL) clubs but it was hard to turn a premiership club down.‘‘

Baulderstone finished last season strongly, polling second in the GSFL‘s Mail Medal and third in Mount Compass‘s best and fairest.

He shed 10kg after starting on Norwood‘s individual fitness program in October and another 18kg since joining pre-season training.

“The kilos just fell off.

“I was running roughly 20km a week.

“Now I can get around the ground more, can stay out there for sustained periods and I can get through games well.‘‘

Norwood has given Baulderstone a second shot in the SANFL after he played reserves for North Adelaide in 2008-09.

Whyalla-raised Baulderstone says he regrets not making a better fist of his time with the Roosters after moving to Adelaide to live with his grandparents.

“It was a bit of immaturity when I was younger I didn‘t realise what was there and the opportunities I had.‘‘

Baulderstone, who is sidelined for six weeks with a hand injury, is determined to make the most of his second chance.

Getting drafted to the AFL is his dream but if it does not happen he is ``happy to play 10 years with Norwood‘‘.

“I‘ve come a long way.

“I‘m a lot happier, I‘m enjoying my footy.‘‘

We have found the replacement for Hille.

Looks like a huge unit and has a premiership under his belt now.

Bauldy goes allright, completely differant bloke to the one that rocked up at pre season. I ■■■■■■ myself laughing when they said he had done a pre season at Essendon, I thought they had the wrong bloke. Has worked to butt off, had some good form early on and then sliced his hand open at work and missed about month before storming back through the two’s and grabbing his spot in the league side. Leading up to the finals Bassett had a dilemma with 3 rucks being Bauldy, Dawe and Power listed Renouf who was in great form aswell, Bass made the decision to tell Renouf he wouldnt be playing finals and went with Bauldy and Dawe. Thought he had a real solid game in the GF, his tap work was good but he did plenty of good stuff around the ground. Would love to ser him have a crack at AFL

Yes, but I'd posit that the sudden drive to do it is from the TV angle. Otherwise, those same blokes would happily play at whatever comp they are in.

There's the TV angle, plus someone is getting a guaranteed contract out of it. Not sacrifice playing with your mates, potentially move somewhere for a year or 2, endure harder pre-seasons than you'd face at the country level and be expected to maintain or even improve that fitness base throughout the course of the season...and after a year or 2 maybe you get on some scout's radar and potentially get drafted. A lot of effort, compared to oh sweet guaranteed AFL deal if I do well, and even if I don't it, if I stick around a while I might get recognised more which = more women.

Of course the numbers of applicants are going to be incredible.

Keep reading about all the usual suspects from the NAB , AIS , state leagues, but wonder about all the great talent in the various country leagues. I know that often that a lot of the players in these leagues play the game because they love it and are not interested in giving up there well rounded lives for the intense atmosphere of AFL.

Having said that I recently went to a couple of finals in the Goulburn Valley league. I saw a young guy called Luke Morris, I understand only 20 yo playing for Kyabram[ BTW Ky play in Bomber colours]. This kid can play. Great mark, super quick, accurate 50 m on the run left foot goal kicker. Doesn't mind going in for the hard ball. I have been told that he is an accountancy student and may not be interested in playing in the bigtime. However he starred in the GF up here and IMHO was superior to team mates such as Nick Holman and Liam Ogden who are Bushies players and are highly rated and expected to be picked up in the draft. Surely someone from the club was up there as well as  the O&M finals but perhaps not.

My point is there are probably lots of players such as him in your local league and with the problems we have with draft picks there are obviously some potential Leon Bakers out there.

We know that people from the Club read BB . Maybe we can give them some clues.

Rhys Clark who played with Essendon VFL also played for Kyabram in GF.

I think there were some talk Luke Morris (20) may get drafted when he was right age but he missed out.  Has come on a heaps this year.  I expect he will be looked at again by recruiters but late in draft or rookies.  Think Steinberg but a good forward - moves well, bit mercurial, holds big marks and kicks well. Too slight for AFL key forward though.

I still think Nick Holman (18) is best prospect - good finals series against men as a midfielder and kicked 3 goals in GF.  I think he will get drafted and get AFL games in 2014.

Liam Ogden (21) is even older than Morris - he has played in seniors since 2009 when he was 17(?).  Kyabram always played him as full back (as did Bushrangers I think) so he didn't get much draft interest when he was right age as he is way too short (think Dean Solomon).  Although he was in midfield more this year.  Don't think he will get AFL call up.

Rhys Clarke played for Bendigo Gold this year, not Essendon Vfl.

And Nick Holman was a Murry Bushrangers regular and played for Vic Country at the champs too - he's definitely one that the system DID notice.

If anyone ever gets the chance, check out the Black Diamond League. Because its the Newcastle league, which is nrl domain, noone ever seems to get drafted from here even though there’s some nrl crossovers who are great athletes, I reckon that any afl team would think they had stumbled on a gold mine if they watched some Black Diamond!

Keep reading about all the usual suspects from the NAB , AIS , state leagues, but wonder about all the great talent in the various country leagues. I know that often that a lot of the players in these leagues play the game because they love it and are not interested in giving up there well rounded lives for the intense atmosphere of AFL.

Having said that I recently went to a couple of finals in the Goulburn Valley league. I saw a young guy called Luke Morris, I understand only 20 yo playing for Kyabram[ BTW Ky play in Bomber colours]. This kid can play. Great mark, super quick, accurate 50 m on the run left foot goal kicker. Doesn't mind going in for the hard ball. I have been told that he is an accountancy student and may not be interested in playing in the bigtime. However he starred in the GF up here and IMHO was superior to team mates such as Nick Holman and Liam Ogden who are Bushies players and are highly rated and expected to be picked up in the draft. Surely someone from the club was up there as well as  the O&M finals but perhaps not.

My point is there are probably lots of players such as him in your local league and with the problems we have with draft picks there are obviously some potential Leon Bakers out there.

I think there were some talk Luke Morris (20) may get drafted when he was right age but he missed out.  Has come on a heaps this year.  I expect he will be looked at again by recruiters but late in draft or rookies.  Think Steinberg but a good forward - moves well, bit mercurial, holds big marks and kicks well. Too slight for AFL key forward though.

I still think Nick Holman (18) is best prospect - good finals series against men as a midfielder and kicked 3 goals in GF.  I think he will get drafted and get AFL games in 2014.

Liam Ogden (21) is even older than Morris - he has played in seniors since 2009 when he was 17(?).  Kyabram always played him as full back (as did Bushrangers I think) so he didn't get much draft interest when he was right age as he is way too short (think Dean Solomon).  Although he was in midfield more this year.  Don't think he will get AFL call up.

This was my thought at the top of the thread. I know Holman is regarded as a draft possible at a relatively high level. I didn't realise Ogden was 21.

However I knew that Luke Morris was 20 and had obviously been overlooked at 17/18 for whatever reason, probably a bit thin. However he has been playing against grown men all season in one of the better bush leagues and was arguably the player of the final series. However I only saw the finals not the other games in the year.  I have a very high regard for players that perform in finals. Players such as Sidebottom and Melksham were selected partly for their form in  NAB GFs. Surely its worth getting some of these very young guys down for a pre season or a run, or for a try out for the VFL side.  The continual talk of some never-was from GWS or Lions etc. with a massive 4 games to his resume just give me the galloping crips.  All the kids I mentioned can play Footy at a very high standard , I leave the mental capacity, suitability to the experts like Dadoro etc. to evaluate.

This was my thought at the top of the thread. I know Holman is regarded as a draft possible at a relatively high level. I didn't realise Ogden was 21.

However I knew that Luke Morris was 20 and had obviously been overlooked at 17/18 for whatever reason, probably a bit thin. However he has been playing against grown men all season in one of the better bush leagues and was arguably the player of the final series. However I only saw the finals not the other games in the year.  I have a very high regard for players that perform in finals. Players such as Sidebottom and Melksham were selected partly for their form in  NAB GFs. Surely its worth getting some of these very young guys down for a pre season or a run, or for a try out for the VFL side.  The continual talk of some never-was from GWS or Lions etc. with a massive 4 games to his resume just give me the galloping crips.  All the kids I mentioned can play Footy at a very high standard , I leave the mental capacity, suitability to the experts like Dadoro etc. to evaluate.

That is one of the things that I love about following Noble Park. If they think you have achieved enough there, and are really a bit above EFL level they will actively try to get you to move to the VFL and put your name in front of the AFL scouts. It took the club ages to convince Tory Dickson (109 goal FF in a premiership side) to leave, but look where he ended up. In the big dance. They almost needed a crowbar to get Kyle Martin to leave his mates and have a crack, He's now wearing Collingwood colours. I reckon all clubs playing in good standard country/suburban leagues should do the same.

Here is picture of Luke Morris ... 

image.JPG

Bomber Morris loves to fly

Kyabram's Luke Morris doesn't mind taking a big grab and on Sunday he will have a big role to play when the Bombers take on Shepparton United in the Goulburn Valley Football League grand final.

By Marc McGowan

White men really can jump — just ask Luke Morris‘ Kyabram teammates.

Morris, one of the baby Bombers at just 20 years old, added to his highlight reel two Sundays ago with a screamer against Shepparton United in the second semi-final.

Morris and co meet United again in Sunday‘s Goulburn Valley Football League grand final.

It is anyone‘s guess where he will line up, given his spring-heeled ways mean coach David Williams can play him just about anywhere on the field, including in the ruck.

‘‘The main thing I liked about the game when I was younger was marking, so I like flying,‘‘ Morris said at the Bombers‘ second-last training session last night.

‘‘Then I fell in love with basketball and I always wanted to dunk, (which I achieved) probably two or three years ago after really working on my leap and doing some programs.‘‘

But there is much more to Morris‘ game than just his aerial work.

He regularly uses his athleticism and speed to burn past opponents and his goals on the run from beyond 50m on his booming left boot have become another of his trademarks.

Morris‘ breakout year at senior level was last season, when he played all 18 home-and-away season games.

Two right calf injuries have wreaked havoc on his 2013 campaign, but Morris has done enough in eight matches for most observers to regard him as a future star.

‘‘It‘s been the same calf each time and that‘s my leaping leg, so it‘s no good,‘‘ he said.

‘‘I did it in the second practice match then came back to it and was feeling really good, but then come the game against United here during the season and it went again.

‘‘That meant another eight or nine weeks out. The main thing I was worrying about was getting back in the side, because there is such great depth at the club.‘‘

Morris, who is doing an accounting cadetship in Shepparton, sought different physiotherapists and treatments to hasten his recovery and has played in both of Kyabram‘s finals wins.

This finals series just happens to be his first at any level of football, although he played in back-to-back under-17 cricket premierships for Kyabram.

‘‘As a thirds side, the year above us or below us was always playing in finals, but we had a dud year in our last year of thirds with injuries,‘‘ Morris said.

‘‘We had 10 injuries or something at one stage, so this is my first finals series and so far it‘s been an enjoyable one.‘‘

Morris said he felt fortunate to be just days out from playing in a senior grand final in one of country Victoria‘s top leagues.

‘‘It‘s pretty lucky, just with the people I‘m playing with and against,‘‘ he said.

‘‘It‘s pretty special and I feel blessed to be a part of it.‘‘

http://www.mmg.com.au/local-sport/shepparton/bomber-morris-loves-to-fly-1.58951

Sounds like a good option to invite to train and think about as a rookie spot.