Brad Scott probems to sort out (Part 1)

We’ve also changed the CEO, president, hired more assistants and increased investment in the football department

1 Like

I posted this in another thread.

These are the concerns I have with our list.
Stats from 2022

15th for Clearances
17th for tackles
17th for contested disposals
17th for 1%ers
16th for contested marks

We are a soft club. Our reputation is that we are a soft club. And I don’t believe coaching alone can turn these areas into 1st-4th.

In the last 10 years we have been constantly bottom 4 for Contested disposals and clearances, we had 1 year in 2015 where we were 8th for Clearances and contested disposals.

This is my main gripe with our List management strategy. We pick players who aren’t competitive and don’t have an appetite to scrap hard to win the ball.

You can’t legitimately win finals, without being a top 4 contested side imo.

24 Likes

I blame Dodoro

4 Likes

Yes, I agree with all that.

I was having a crack at Buckley’s inability to state his position with conviction.

1 Like

Some of those issues will likely change with BDB.

2 Likes

I’m sure it will improve. But as I said, I don’t think coaching alone can bring us up higher than 8-10th in these key areas.

List management is the main issue here. We haven’t addressed contested football, with our recruitment (other than 1 or 2 players sparingly). Winning the contest on the ground or in the air, should be a prerequisite for recruiting players imo. contested football is everyone’s job…… and shouldn’t be left to the few players who are considered “contested players”.

3 Likes

Agree. That’s why I would play Voss. Solomon like. Probably forward. Will hurt opponents physically or on scoreboard. There are others too. Start to build a team with players who will hunt and defend their mates. Opponents need to know this so the stars can be confident knowing they are being protected. Then they shine whilst the tough nuts do their thing. Donimo effect for whole team.

1 Like

The problem is you can’t intimidate or physically hurt the opposition these days, without the umpire running in at a million miles per hour blowing his whistle ‘dangerous tackle’ or some crap.

There is an interview with both Scott brothers i watched previously conducted right before they first coached against each other, where they both say their number 1 thing in any player they like, is them being able to win their own ball. So hopefully he changes things.

Overall though I agree and this is my number one issue with dodoro, he has never drafted one good, big
and strong contested ball midfielder. Even Jobe was a father son.

5 Likes

Im just extracting the p155. There’s always cries of “15 years of mediocrity” ™, im just tapping in to that.

1 Like

Liked but you can have presence. We haven’t had that for a while. It helps. Even perceived is sufficient to create opportunities.

dah you got me

And in 2015 when we were 8th for Contested football.

Our list had:
Watson, Hocking, Howlett, Chapman, Goddard, Hibberd, Myers, Melksham, Baguley, Merrett.

We don’t haven anywhere near that sort of contested winning ability. That’s how far off we are from being top 8 side for contested football.

3 Likes

It’s a great time to be an Essendon fan. We haven’t lost a game and nobody is out for the season with injury. It can only be downhill from here.

6 Likes

You missed the name of the bloke who led Essendon for contested possessions (both average and aggregate) that season.

Sheeds
Knighta/Knightmare
Hirdy
Bomber
Woosha
Truck
Brad Scott

we don’t even have an alternate name for our coach.
why?

1 Like

B
D
B

8 Likes

You absolutely can but you still need to be good enough to have an impact over 4 quarters

Or you’ve got a J Townsend type of game, smash some guy in the first 5 minutes, don’t get another touch for an hour.

3 Likes

As long as we see the following:

• a finals win

And don’t see the following:

• coast to coast goals
  • red time goals
  • kick outs tobthe exact same spot every time
  • guarding grass
  • panic handballing to another players feet
  • humiliation to the filth and FC

You can call him whatever the ■■■■ you want, in fact, declare a Republic and name him head of state.

5 Likes

The change I have seen in training so far has been the focus on kicking whether it be in play or at the goals. Very few handball focussed drills compared to previous years.

I wonder if there will be any change to Parish’s style when he comes into full training. He is certainly a great handballer, one of the best. I’d like to see him kick more and give us clear possession out of the contests so that we can maintain a chain of possessions without having to panic and cough up the ball.

2 Likes