Brandon Matera

The Sydney equivalent of Yaco (Syaco?) in 2009 would have been saying picking up McGlynn and Kennedy was a silly move…

I'd be wanting something better than Moorcroft for pick 19. Moorcroft was good, don't get me wrong, but I would want 45 goals a season for a small forward with pick 19.

Get out of town! I’d give up pick one for a player who can kick 45 goals a season. Bewick only managed that tally once in his career. Moorcroft never managed more than 30.

You’ve lost the plot - Players like Green and Matera are average AFL players - I wouldn’t be pursuing these type of players.

Oh so you have better available & gettable players in mind who can kick 30+ goals per year & may only cost a later pick or even maybe PSD? Who?

You develop from within your list of 44 players and/or you draft players with the right attributes - Players retain small forwards who have decent ability.

In other words no you don’t have a friggen idea & you’re happy to simply hope that 15 years of drafting for no small forwards might all of a sudden change simple because you know, blind hope & all that. Its really really simple - when you have an opportunity to fill a need you take it. Absolutely you try to fill all your needs trough drafting & developing but the reality is that its unlikely to EVER give you a squad capable of winning a flag. Again we have not had a small forward kick 33 goals in a year since Bewick in 1993 & even then I’d argue Bewick was a mid/forward. Gus is the closest we’ve come so ask yourself the question, would you pick up a 23 year old Gus for a PSD pick?

You fill a need with good quality players - The two players being discussed have played in the NEAFL in the last two years.

Why would Matera and Green leave if they are playing such good footy.

Who where & when did anyone say they are playing good football atm and since when don’t players playing good football leave their clubs? They are both out of favour with their current club (as are many guys at brissy) & have both had injuries. Omeara will obviously work his way back through the same system - should we write off his career? Matt Dea could barely get out of the VFL last year yet this year he’s earned a contract for 2017. Michael Barlow spent years in the VFL, Paul Puopolo, Baguley, Pig the list goes on & on of players who spend a lot of time developing in lower grades. Dayne Zorko spent years languishing in the very same league before being drafted older than Green or Matera are now. Neither player are playing good football right now which is the reason why their value should be low. What they have done however is have previous good football form which is a very good reason to believe that at a new club they MAY be able to not only replicate that best form but maybe just maybe reach a higher level on account of the fact that they both have physical development left in them. Green should be peaking over the next 3-4 years & Matera shouldn’t peak for another 2 years. IF they were playing regular good football then they wouldn’t be an option unless we were prepared to pay a very high price. We can’t afford to trade our top picks & we don’t exactly have excess talent on the list to trade either. This is why we have to find players we can improve & get the best out of at our club. Green in particular has consistent good form prior to this year - from 2013 to 2015 he played 53 games for 82 goals. Again he’s only 23, there is every reason to suggest that a return to that form (assuming fitness) is highly likely & there is also the possibility that if we as a side improves, the life of a small forward gets easier.

If you have a better suggestion other than your plan of “lets just draft a good small forward” then by all means toss it up for comparison. Till then its patently obvious to most football watchers that we have a gaping hole in our forward line & the opportunity to add a guy who has kicked more goals in a season than anyone on our list is something that would be moronic to ignore.

Your list of players switching from state footy to the AFL contains mostly good to very good players at AFL level - Green and Matera don’t meet those standards

Oh, so playing lower leagues is evidence that a player is no good except when the player is good. Got it! :blush:

Again I will ask you by what standard have these 2 not reached a good standard for a small forward? Do you have some criteria because against their peers the actual results stack up. Matera isn’t in his best form & is still averaging 1.3 goals & mid teens disposals per game.

Green would have won or come runner-up in our goalkicking that last three years, playing in a rubbish side. Still not good.

I'd be wanting something better than Moorcroft for pick 19. Moorcroft was good, don't get me wrong, but I would want 45 goals a season for a small forward with pick 19.

Get out of town! I’d give up pick one for a player who can kick 45 goals a season. Bewick only managed that tally once in his career. Moorcroft never managed more than 30.

You’ve lost the plot - Players like Green and Matera are average AFL players - I wouldn’t be pursuing these type of players.

Oh so you have better available & gettable players in mind who can kick 30+ goals per year & may only cost a later pick or even maybe PSD? Who?

You develop from within your list of 44 players and/or you draft players with the right attributes - Players retain small forwards who have decent ability.

In other words no you don’t have a friggen idea & you’re happy to simply hope that 15 years of drafting for no small forwards might all of a sudden change simple because you know, blind hope & all that. Its really really simple - when you have an opportunity to fill a need you take it. Absolutely you try to fill all your needs trough drafting & developing but the reality is that its unlikely to EVER give you a squad capable of winning a flag. Again we have not had a small forward kick 33 goals in a year since Bewick in 1993 & even then I’d argue Bewick was a mid/forward. Gus is the closest we’ve come so ask yourself the question, would you pick up a 23 year old Gus for a PSD pick?

You fill a need with good quality players - The two players being discussed have played in the NEAFL in the last two years.

Who where & when did anyone say they are playing good football atm and since when don’t players playing good football leave their clubs? They are both out of favour with their current club (as are many guys at brissy) & have both had injuries. Omeara will obviously work his way back through the same system - should we write off his career? Matt Dea could barely get out of the VFL last year yet this year he’s earned a contract for 2017. Michael Barlow spent years in the VFL, Paul Puopolo, Baguley, Pig the list goes on & on of players who spend a lot of time developing in lower grades. Dayne Zorko spent years languishing in the very same league before being drafted older than Green or Matera are now. Neither player are playing good football right now which is the reason why their value should be low. What they have done however is have previous good football form which is a very good reason to believe that at a new club they MAY be able to not only replicate that best form but maybe just maybe reach a higher level on account of the fact that they both have physical development left in them. Green should be peaking over the next 3-4 years & Matera shouldn’t peak for another 2 years. IF they were playing regular good football then they wouldn’t be an option unless we were prepared to pay a very high price. We can’t afford to trade our top picks & we don’t exactly have excess talent on the list to trade either. This is why we have to find players we can improve & get the best out of at our club. Green in particular has consistent good form prior to this year - from 2013 to 2015 he played 53 games for 82 goals. Again he’s only 23, there is every reason to suggest that a return to that form (assuming fitness) is highly likely & there is also the possibility that if we as a side improves, the life of a small forward gets easier.

If you have a better suggestion other than your plan of “lets just draft a good small forward” then by all means toss it up for comparison. Till then its patently obvious to most football watchers that we have a gaping hole in our forward line & the opportunity to add a guy who has kicked more goals in a season than anyone on our list is something that would be moronic to ignore.

Your list of players switching from state footy to the AFL contains mostly good to very good players at AFL level - Green and Matera don’t meet those standards

Oh, so playing lower leagues is evidence that a player is no good except when the player is good. Got it! :blush:

Again I will ask you by what standard have these 2 not reached a good standard for a small forward? Do you have some criteria because against their peers the actual results stack up. Matera isn’t in his best form & is still averaging 1.3 goals & mid teens disposals per game.

Maybe ask their clubs why they are playing NEAFL if they have reached AFL standard.

The Sydney equivalent of Yaco (Syaco?) in 2009 would have been saying picking up McGlynn and Kennedy was a silly move.....

Pity that McGlynn and Kennedy came from a Premiership team while Green and Matera come from cellar dwellers.

A poor comparison.

Maybe ask their clubs why they are playing NEAFL if they have reached AFL standard.

Maybe you can ask their clubs why they have played 160 games between them & are still contracted given they haven’t yet reached your imaginary standard. You’re acting as if they have already been delisted.

Maybe you can ask their clubs why they have played 160 games between them & are still contracted given they haven’t yet reached your imaginary standard. You’re acting as if they have already been delisted.

Ask the clubs concerned why retaining these players ISN’T a priority.

Ask the clubs concerned why retaining these players ISN’T a priority.

So now in addition to having an imaginary standard that you can’t reveal, you’re claiming to know the priorities of GC & Brisbane. Again you are acting as if both have simply been discarded by their clubs. You do realise both played in their clubs last game don’t you? You do realise both are playing this week right? Matera last week picked up 20 disposals & kicked 2 goals 2 - is that not a good standard? Until you are prepared to at least set some standard I’m forced to believe you’re simply baulking to avoid having to admit you’re completely ignorant about both players.

Maybe you should contact both clubs & ask them why they are playing players who have never reached your AFL standard especially in light of your inside knowledge about their impending delisting.

Don’t feed the yaco …

Yacolt

No one can resist the temptation of yaco.

Why do we think all our young mids are small forwards all of a sudden.

the same as our HBF that can play in the midfield…

White LEROY

Kicked 3 today, albeit against Brisbane but he is looking pretty handy.

How could he kick 3 in an AFL game?

Yaco’s been telling us he’s played plenty of NEAFL and will never be any good.

I don’t think the consensus is that he is no good. The consensus is generally that Matera is better than green and we should take him if we can virtually steal him. Not many believe we should actually give up anything of worth, though there are a few that disagree.

Of course he is capable of kicking 3 in a game - And its not the first time he’s kicked 3 goals - I’ve rated him as an average AFL player - And never stated he is not good.

Of course he is capable of kicking 3 in a game - And its not the first time he’s kicked 3 goals - I’ve rated him as an average AFL player - And never stated he is not good.

I’m right there with you yaco. Let’s get out the pitchfork and hunt these witches!

Suns enigma turns it around after being dropped Michael Whiting July 22, 2016 7:19 AM

BRANDON Matera is as talented and exciting as he is frustrating and irritating.

He is an enigma Gold Coast is still trying to solve after six seasons.

The diminutive forward has enough skill to be one of the best in his position in the competition, yet often lets himself down with below-par work-rate.

Now 24 and with 85 games to his name, Matera has again endured a frustrating season.

He was dropped to the NEAFL earlier this year, a clear message from coach Rodney Eade that he wasn’t doing enough.

His defensive pressure was almost non-existent, and even his usually reliable skills had dropped off.

But in the past month, the pendulum has swung back towards the productive, spark plug version of the knockabout West Australian.

With tall timber Tom Lynch and Peter Wright providing aerial targets, Matera has profited at their feet, averaging 15 disposals and kicking eight goals over the past four matches.

He said being dropped was a wake-up call.

“Defensive pressure and my kicking efficiency was down – they were my two big messages,” Matera said.

"I learnt my lesson and went back and worked on it as much as I could.

"The last four games have been really good, probably on the back of us forward line playing together as a group, the continuity of getting to know each other.

“The big guys have been pretty good, made our job a lot easier.”

While the midfield has been smashed by injuries, Matera says continuity with forwards, including first-year Suns Ryan Davis and Callum Ah Chee, has helped him learn leading patterns and where to stand at stoppages.

Eade is pleased with Matera’s progression, and with a year remaining on his contract, the small forward says he expects a big six weeks to finish the season and a bumper 2017.

“We’ve got the right personnel here,” he said.

"Rocket’s come in with a good game-plan.

"I’m really excited.

"It’s come to a point where we’re sick of losing. We want to go up the ladder.

"We’ve got all the stuff in place, it’s a matter of getting everyone on the track and playing together and getting that continuity.

“We need to use this six weeks as a stepping stone.”

He used the last six weeks of last season as a stepping stone.
Yet he regressed back to his former habits.

I still think he’s worth the gamble to get (late first round / early second round pick would get him) but Josh Green carries less of a risk as far as what we’d need to give up in comparison to what we get in return.