Brandon Matera

Rotating the three of them through the midfield would be delicious, and not something you could do with Green.

sigh Pipe dream, though. The go home factor would be too much, I reckon. Good point, Ants, ya spoilsport.

1 Like

Get him. Move Raz into the midfield. Instant midfield upgrade!

But heā€™ll go back to WA as already stated.

He just looks sooooooo likely to go somewhere else & flourish. He is a high end talent as a small forward & I reckon he also has potential as a part time mid, not as good, but similar skill set to Parker. If we didnā€™t already have a strong forward line, chasing him again would be a no brainer but I suspect there will be a few clubs who rate his potential & will chase him. I wouldnā€™t be against getting him but our need is pure mid & heā€™d be a poor consolation to missing others. Heā€™ll go back to WA & kick 45 goals next year :disappointed:

1 Like

Will head back to WA, reckon he would love to get to West Coast but it may be Freo

GOLD Coast foundation player Brandon Matera looks set to seek a fresh start in 2018.

The 25-year-old heads the list of out-of-contract Suns who might be seeking a new home next season, having marked time in the past three years under former coach Rodney Eade.

The Suns are understood to be comfortable for Matera to explore his options.

Matera made a blazing start to 2017, kicking six goals in round three in what was his first AFL game for the year, and earned praise for his effort to get back to top form.

By round 13, he had kicked 22 goals in 10 games and cemented a spot inside the forward 50.

However, the forward missed four weeks with a foot injury before making a successful return to the NEAFL last Saturday, where he kicked one goal in the Sunsā€™ seven-point win.

With the Sunsā€™ review of the football department already leading to Eadeā€™s departure after three seasons, more significant change is expected at a club that is yet to play a final since joining the competition in 2011.

Although the list has come in for criticism, the Suns have a strong spine and have locked in many of the young players who arrived as first-round draft picks in recent seasons.

Gold Coast re-signed key defender Steven May recently and Tom Lynch remains contracted for next season. The Suns still harbour hope that contracted superstar Gary Ablett will play on in 2018 with the club.

Having kicked 124 goals in 101 games, and topped 20 goals in three of his past four seasons, Matera is potentially one of the more dangerous small forwards out of contract at this stage of the season.

Richmond has shown this season how important small forwards who put on tackling pressure can be to a teamā€™s game style.

Matera is understood to be open to a move to Victoria, while there have also been reports linking the West Australian with Fremantle.

The Suns will begin a process to appoint a new coach soon with Carlton assistant John Barker and Sydney Swansā€™ Stuart Dew among the leading candidates.

More By Peter Ryan

Do we need him AND Green? I remember last year wanting one or the other

Do we need him and Green and Howlett?

I donā€™t see Matera as only a small forward.
At all.

Edit: If weā€™re losing Watson, Stanton, and Hocking, then I think we have room for Matera.
Heā€™s a better forward than Green, and a better mid than Howlett.
imo.

7 Likes

WANT

1 Like

They really arenā€™t too bright if that is truly the case, are they?

1 Like

But Richmond would be upsetā€¦

Yeah want. Especially with Zaka not signed and Colyers ā– ā– ā– ā–  kicking.

Is he quicker and a better tackler than green?

If not, donā€™t want.

1 Like

Bring him in. But seriously heā€™s too good a player to let slip for peanuts to a ā– ā– ā– ā–  club like Carlton.

He would be an upgrade on Green. Only problem is that small forwards who arenā€™t great with defensive pressure arenā€™t really suited to the modern game.

That would be my issue, just doesnā€™t offer enough defensive pressure as a small forward. Can he play outside mid?

The time to get him cheap would have been last year when he was playing NEAFL once a fortnight.

If our second round pick was enough to get him, then Iā€™d take the chance. Iā€™d prefer him than gambling on a second round project player that may be available in the third round (you know Jackets wonā€™t take best available).

It was suggested on Perth radio perhaps 2 months ago that a Matera to Freo deal was almost done. He declined a chance to return to WA previously so I donā€™t think itā€™s a go home factor itā€™s more a I want out of the Suns factor. His cousin Jordan Matera (Peterā€™s son) is playing for Sandringham.

Matera is a genuine talent averaging 16.9 disposals & 2.2 goals (15th in the league). As Wim said Iā€™d take him in a heartbeat for the right price.
Matera wold be an upgrade on Green - a comparison for those interested: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=24&type=A&pid1=3477&pid2=3616&fid1=S&fid2=S

We donā€™t have enough midgets alreadyā€¦ yep get him.

It seems to be only Essendon senior coaches who would ever put B Howlett and J Green in the same sentence or the same position

I canā€™t think of much (outside general anatomy) that is similar between them?

2 Likes

Also would be happy with B Matera, if McKenna was happy enough that he could do the defensive work. That would be the only possible area of concern, heā€™s way better than Green.

1 Like