Brandon Matera

You listed a guy who has never played, a guy who is currently pinch hitting as a small forward and an Irishman who may end up a player, but will never end up a crumbing small forward.

That’s too many?

Shall I list the inside mids?

They are all small forward types - How good they will become is still undetermined - How coaches will end up using their talents is still undetermined - Even Tippa was trialled as a small forward in the pre-season - IMO EFC have a greater need for inside midfielders and talls - Small forwards are always the last piece of the puzzle.

Matera is a crap, sorry really crap player.

Matera has played 3 games and has 6 goals and 2 tackles, only averages 14 possessions.

2011 - 12 games for 15 goals & 25 tackles
2012 - 17 games for 11 goals & 38 tackles
2013 - 10 games for 7 goals & 20 tackles
2014 - 16 games for 27 goals & 49 tackles
2015 - 19 games for 18 goals & 55 tackles

He also only averages 14 possessions a game. 4 being contested

Would have won a goalkicking award for us

Yep, almost.

Our 2014 goal kicking

Daniher 28 from 22 games
Carlol 27 from 19
Chapman 22 from 20.

I wouldn’t go overboard to get Matera, but gee I reckon we could find some room for him at the right price.

I want the Bomb and Yaco to fight

@“The Bomb”

Are you factoring a) he has been injured plenty during early part of his career b) he himself has been part of a developing side full of kids?

You made a point at him “only” averaging 14 possessions a game and yet that is what the top small forward in game averages.

He is young in the whole scheme of things. Plays in the one of the hardest positions on the ground to have an impact. Has shown plenty of potential and seemingly improving his consistency as he matures (go figure).

His 2014, 2015 and 2016 stats thus far are good and better than anything we have seen at EFC from a small forward for quite a while. His average over his career is irrelevant since he was a kid in a start up team, it’s recently which is important. The last 3 seasons output is perfectly fine, that is not in a top side either.

And we currently have zero genuine small forwards on our list. Zero.

Would we better of with Betts or Walters or Rioli? Absolutely. Can we get them? No.

If Dodoro and the list management team goes after him with the referral from Bluey I’d expect your analysis that he is “crap” is that itself.

I still maintain we should have picked up Blake Hardwick Going on his VFL form he could have played round 1 for us - provided he kept the mullet

yep, the same Blake Hardwick that was kicking bags of 8 in the tac last year as a small forward, we overlooked a few highly rated kids that went 30+ in the draft.

I still maintain we should have picked up Blake Hardwick Going on his VFL form he could have played round 1 for us - provided he kept the mullet
I'm intrigued - could you provide more background to this? Both your 2015 thoughts and his 2016 performance?
Assuming we have 1, 19 and 37, 55 and they have 4, 22, 40, 58 I'd be going pick 37 and 55 for Matera and 58.

We have enough developing small forwards. Why chase a fringe player.

WTF? Eades and who?

Matera would play precisely the role Orazio is playing now. Orazio goes wing/centre/HFF.

I still maintain we should have picked up Blake Hardwick
Going on his VFL form he could have played round 1 for us - provided he kept the mullet

@“The Bomb”

I’m not sure the stats you put up are reflecting negatively from this year.

14 possessions average for a small forward would be about right, in fact very good. Eddie betts 2016 average - 14.6 in a top side

Just over 30% of his possessions contested which again would be about right for a small forward, not meant to be and is not a big bodied extractor.

And kicking 2 goals a game. Which would extrapolate out to 40 goal season. Eddie Betts - 2.8goals/game average 2016.

2016 Tackle stats down off small sample size but in 2014 and 2015 were excellent @ approx 3/game. Eddie betts 2016 AV @ 3.9 tackles.

Small forward not getting midfielder like stats. Must be crap. You’d never pick him in Supercoach team. Not worth looking at.

Who is the second Rioli? And which Cripps? Green?

Daniel Rioli at Richmond Green from Brisbane and Cripps from West Coast…all small forwards

Those 3 are not better than Matera, maybe green is but certainly not the other 2.

Matera has played 3 games and has 6 goals and 2 tackles, only averages 14 possessions.

Would have won a goalkicking award for us

Who is the second Rioli? And which Cripps? Green?

Daniel Rioli at Richmond Green from Brisbane and Cripps from West Coast…all small forwards

Assuming we have 1, 19 and 37, 55 and they have 4, 22, 40, 58 I'd be going pick 37 and 55 for Matera and 58.

Not trying to be a smart ■■■■ but who? Raz yes, can’t think of many others (haven’t seen anything of Eads)

Kicked 3 today, albeit against Brisbane but he is looking pretty handy.

How could he kick 3 in an AFL game?

Yaco’s been telling us he’s played plenty of NEAFL and will never be any good.

Of course he is capable of kicking 3 in a game - And its not the first time he’s kicked 3 goals - I’ve rated him as an average AFL player - And never stated he is not good.

I don't think the consensus is that he is no good. The consensus is generally that Matera is better than green and we should take him if we can virtually steal him. Not many believe we should actually give up anything of worth, though there are a few that disagree.

I don’t think anyone has suggested we give up massive coin or our top picks for either but the thought was that both Matera & Green looked to be out of favour with their clubs & so there was the possibility of paying unders for them. Both have shown they are more than capable of being effective small forwards in spite of not meeting yacos “special” standards. Now with each game that possibility is looking less likely as both are now playing regular games & Matera in particular has been very good. 37 disposals & 5 goals the last 2 weeks is the return of a top quality small forward. He has had these form runs a few times in his career so its not an aberration, if he can find consistency he would without doubt be among the best small forwards in the game.

Personally I’m more on the Green bandwagon simply for the fact that I believe he’s more likely to be gettable. If it was a straight choice most would agree Matera has been the better player but I can’t see GC letting him go cheaply. Brissy on the other hand are a basket case & have been haemorrhaging talent for a few years now. Docherty for example was pick 11, 2 years later they trade him for pick 33 & he’s now one of the better small defenders in the game. Yeo is another talented player they sold for unders then there’s Polec & Longer & Luey walked on them last year. I think its possible a player like Green could reach their potential elsewhere. Not saying that means we are necessarily in the right position to get the best out of him but Brissy just doesn’t look like a place many want to be.

Can say that one or two have posted that Green is not worth 400K - I think its a touch overs - I’d pay 350K, especially seeing the average wage is nearly 300K - I make no apologies for wanting high standards at the club.

I’m confused.

You want high standards at our club but want to pay this squib 350k?

If the average is 300k then he is right on the cusp of average to not quite. Given that big contracts inflate and new recruits deflate this range heavily 350k would be well overs imo

Of course he is capable of kicking 3 in a game - And its not the first time he’s kicked 3 goals - I’ve rated him as an average AFL player - And never stated he is not good.

I don't think the consensus is that he is no good. The consensus is generally that Matera is better than green and we should take him if we can virtually steal him. Not many believe we should actually give up anything of worth, though there are a few that disagree.

I don’t think anyone has suggested we give up massive coin or our top picks for either but the thought was that both Matera & Green looked to be out of favour with their clubs & so there was the possibility of paying unders for them. Both have shown they are more than capable of being effective small forwards in spite of not meeting yacos “special” standards. Now with each game that possibility is looking less likely as both are now playing regular games & Matera in particular has been very good. 37 disposals & 5 goals the last 2 weeks is the return of a top quality small forward. He has had these form runs a few times in his career so its not an aberration, if he can find consistency he would without doubt be among the best small forwards in the game.

Personally I’m more on the Green bandwagon simply for the fact that I believe he’s more likely to be gettable. If it was a straight choice most would agree Matera has been the better player but I can’t see GC letting him go cheaply. Brissy on the other hand are a basket case & have been haemorrhaging talent for a few years now. Docherty for example was pick 11, 2 years later they trade him for pick 33 & he’s now one of the better small defenders in the game. Yeo is another talented player they sold for unders then there’s Polec & Longer & Luey walked on them last year. I think its possible a player like Green could reach their potential elsewhere. Not saying that means we are necessarily in the right position to get the best out of him but Brissy just doesn’t look like a place many want to be.

Can say that one or two have posted that Green is not worth 400K - I think its a touch overs - I’d pay 350K, especially seeing the average wage is nearly 300K - I make no apologies for wanting high standards at the club.

Incorrect.
We have young half forward flankers who are developing into midfielders. Not crumbing small forwards.

Agreed.

Both Fantasia and Eades will do more damage from HFF/wing.

The genuine small fwd we have zero of on the list. Hence trying to manufacture with moving Baguley fwd.

Last we had was Del Olio and Davey.

Hawks have 3 of the fkrs!

Incorrect.
We have young half forward flankers who are developing into midfielders. Not crumbing small forwards.

Oh my