Brandon Matera

I'd be wanting something better than Moorcroft for pick 19. Moorcroft was good, don't get me wrong, but I would want 45 goals a season for a small forward with pick 19.

Get out of town! I’d give up pick one for a player who can kick 45 goals a season. Bewick only managed that tally once in his career. Moorcroft never managed more than 30.

You’ve lost the plot - Players like Green and Matera are average AFL players - I wouldn’t be pursuing these type of players.

I'd be wanting something better than Moorcroft for pick 19. Moorcroft was good, don't get me wrong, but I would want 45 goals a season for a small forward with pick 19.

Get out of town! I’d give up pick one for a player who can kick 45 goals a season. Bewick only managed that tally once in his career. Moorcroft never managed more than 30.

You’ve lost the plot - Players like Green and Matera are average AFL players - I wouldn’t be pursuing these type of players.

Well if you haven’t noticed. Our forward line has not only been below average, it’s been the worst. Average small forwards would actually improve us.

Very rarely do you pick up players from other clubs that don’t have faults in their game. Unless your willing to hand over a first round pick or pick up a free agent on massive dollars to get an a-grade player to your club, I don’t have an issue with targeting a player who we think can take another step in their game.

2 things you can do with these players:

1. Coaching and/or fitness staff back themselves to improve these attributes in the player.
  2. the team around this player can compensate for that players faults.

Matera >>>>>>> Green

You’re right. They are average players. Average players who would walk into our best 22 such is the deficit of goal kicking smalls on our list.

Green has performed closer to his capabilities on a more consistent basis than Matera has.
Brisbane have been more of a basket case than Gold Coast have.
And Green’s worst doesn’t occur as often as Matera’s.

If we could only get one, then I’d go with Green. He won’t be a superstar, but he’ll help with the biggest deficiency we’ve had on our list for a decade.

Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if Matera’s trade value is an early 20s pick (based on potential than performance) and Green’s would be in the 30s at best but more likely a PSD option.

Matera is from WA, so I wouldn’t be surprised if West Coast offer their second round for him.

Hopefully we’re into both and Green is a decent backup plan should Matera be tougher to get than first thought.

Oh so you have better available & gettable players in mind who can kick 30+ goals per year & may only cost a later pick or even maybe PSD? Who?

@JBOMBER

You’ve just been…

Well if you haven’t noticed. Our forward line has not only been below average, it’s been the worst. Average small forwards would actually improve us.

It would not improve the forward line one iota - BB where mediocrity rules.

Oh so you have better available & gettable players in mind who can kick 30+ goals per year & may only cost a later pick or even maybe PSD? Who?

You develop from within your list of 44 players and/or you draft players with the right attributes - Players retain small forwards who have decent ability.

Yes, but you are setting the bar low, at this present time I would love is we got 45 goals a season between 2 of our forwards.

I know bewick only did it a couple of times but that was also when small forwards had to just shark off the FF and CHF. These days you often see the small forward one out with his opponent, that rarely happened in the 90s.

And J Bomber I did misread it, I took it as 19 or lower.

It would not improve the forward line one iota - BB where mediocrity rules.

Pfft, I’m looking forward to the day when we finally get up to that stage.

Some people are farking clueless here.

Our small fwd depth is terrible. It’s all well and good to have our kpf and medium fwd structure somewhat sorted but we need crumbers who can kick goals and pressure when the ball hits the deck.

Fantasia has shown great promise but ideally we want him playing HFF andwe can’t just rely on one player. Most good sides have two, Hawks have 3.

Kommer will be delisted
Eades is a long way from being effective
Connor gets lost, and looks better back

We can shift Baguley fwd but it’s robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The cupboard is bare.

Matera & Green absolutely fill a need. Both at times have shown great potential. Are at an age now where consistency should be improving, abeit they plays a position where it’s very difficult to consistently impact.

We missed out on Jeffy Garlett due to not having a coach. Not a lot around at the moment. On their day Matera & Green have shown they can be class small fwds, just haven’t done it often enough.

Changed environment and team might see that differ. If not its a stop gap between Eades developing to level we need or us getting a hold of another small fwd. And if we draft one we will have to wait for them to develop like Eades as well.

I’d also be trusting Bluey McKenna to know exactly what Matera is capable of and how to get best out of him.

You develop from within your list of 44 players and/or you draft players with the right attributes - Players retain small forwards who have decent ability.

In other words no you don’t have a friggen idea & you’re happy to simply hope that 15 years of drafting for no small forwards might all of a sudden change simple because you know, blind hope & all that. Its really really simple - when you have an opportunity to fill a need you take it. Absolutely you try to fill all your needs trough drafting & developing but the reality is that its unlikely to EVER give you a squad capable of winning a flag. Again we have not had a small forward kick 33 goals in a year since Bewick in 1993 & even then I’d argue Bewick was a mid/forward. Gus is the closest we’ve come so ask yourself the question, would you pick up a 23 year old Gus for a PSD pick?

Next years “small” forwards…

Raz, Laverde, Langford, + significant minutes from Zach, Zaharakis, etc etc etc. + development minutes Redman, Long, Eades

For me, and in spite of recent history, recruiting a small forward is not a priority.

Next years "small" forwards.....

Raz, Laverde, Langford, + significant minutes from Zach, Zaharakis, etc etc etc. + development minutes Redman, Long, Eades

For me, and in spite of recent history, recruiting a small forward is not a priority.

Laverde & Langford are pushing 190cm. They are not small forwards.

Why do we think all our young mids are small forwards all of a sudden.

Next years "small" forwards.....

So basically lets just rotate all of our mids through the forward line and hope it works better than it has in the past (and that’s not even taking into account the fact that most of them don’t play small).
Why do we think all our young mids are small forwards all of a sudden.

Same reason all indigenous players are small forwards

To clarify, I am assuming a Daniher/ Brown /Bellchambers type tall setup, so in the traditional 6 person forward framework I’m looking at 3 smaller types. Of those, fantasia has shown enough to suggest that he’s your go to small forward who could kick 40 +.

Then you have a couple more slots. Given we’ll be adding guys like Heppell back into the midfield rotations I’m not sure why resting 2 midfielders in those 2 slots would even be controversial when considered as part of overall team balance.

To use old language, if Zerrett was first rover, you’d have him changing with Parish. Both have shown high quality forward capability and you could easily get 20 out of each of them. Laverde and Langford have also shown good forward craft, while also being “ruck rover” types. They could also be good for 20 each.

Obviously I’ve used out of date language, but I’m strongly in the 10 goalkickers per week category, and with our strength next year hopefully becoming a deep midfield, I think that there will be plenty of time that these guys will spend in the forward half.

I have zero doubt that if played as a pure forward zerrett and laverde would bring more than Matera or Green. Obviously I don’t want them as pure forwards, but they still have a role to play there.

Recruiting either Matera or Green is really gambling that they become as good as Raz will be. Then gambling that our forward structure will work best with 2 stay at home smalls.

I wouldn’t prioritise that gamble.

I could go it at the right price, but for me it’s not a priority.