Brandon Matera

And on the Laverde / Langford as “smalls”. Obviously they’re 4th marking target, but also show good ability when the ball is in the ground.

The equivalent from 2000 was Caracella, who was 186, good when the ball was in the air, and handy at ground level, without being a full on crumbing type.

Does anyone really think that Zac Merrett is going to be spending any less time in the midfield next year than he has this year. Parish has not demonstrated good ability as a small forward. Besides, it’s important that he remains part of the full time midfield rotation.

Laverde and Langford will bring something to the forward line, but it won’t be genuine front and square crumbing ability. Langford may even be playing predominantly midfield.

Although I agree that there is the possibility that our midfield might fill the role, I think we’ve gone so long without small forwards other than Davey that spending a PSD pick/late pick on one who has averaged 25-30 goals a year is a decent bet. I’d target Green, and only take one of him/Matera.

We’ll be adding Heppell, Myers, Hocking, Colyer and hopefully Watson to the midfield rotations. Merrett’s minutes will be managed so that he (And everyone else) is still going flat out in September. Whether that’s less, or the same, or more I can’t say, but we’ll have mute midfield depth, so I’d assume we’ll spread the load appropriately.

But I see you want to have this conversation in the other thread, so I’ll take it over there.

We'll be adding Heppell, Myers, Hocking, Colyer and hopefully Watson to the midfield rotations. Merrett's minutes will be managed so that he (And everyone else) is still going flat out in September. Whether that's less, or the same, or more I can't say, but we'll have mute midfield depth, so I'd assume we'll spread the load appropriately.
I can't see Merrett's minutes dropping. He's been our best midfielder, and is still our best midfielder, this year. Add another preseason, add some quality around him, put money on him for the Brownlow.
We'll be adding Heppell, Myers, Hocking, Colyer and hopefully Watson to the midfield rotations. Merrett's minutes will be managed so that he (And everyone else) is still going flat out in September. Whether that's less, or the same, or more I can't say, but we'll have mute midfield depth, so I'd assume we'll spread the load appropriately.
I can't see Merrett's minutes dropping. He's been our best midfielder, and is still our best midfielder, this year. Add another preseason, add some quality around him, put money on him for the Brownlow.

I agree with that, but it’s a balance right?

When he’s the 6th forward working up onto the ball because we’ve pushed Watson, Heppell and Myers into the middle to change the dynamic. We’ll have more options for that next year than this year.

Our when trying to shake a tag. Or whatever.

Hopefully we have 12 plus guys that can go through there with no loss of quality. Zach will still be first choice, but rotations are vital.

I agree with that, but it's a balance right?

When he’s the 6th forward working up onto the ball because we’ve pushed Watson, Heppell and Myers into the middle to change the dynamic. We’ll have more options for that next year than this year.

Our when trying to shake a tag. Or whatever.

Hopefully we have 12 plus guys that can go through there with no loss of quality. Zach will still be first choice, but rotations are vital.

No. You don’t see Fythe not playing midfield. Zerrett will be in there all the time. Just like this year. His endurance is fantastic.

Fyfe never plays forward?

I'd be wanting something better than Moorcroft for pick 19. Moorcroft was good, don't get me wrong, but I would want 45 goals a season for a small forward with pick 19.

Get out of town! I’d give up pick one for a player who can kick 45 goals a season. Bewick only managed that tally once in his career. Moorcroft never managed more than 30.

You’ve lost the plot - Players like Green and Matera are average AFL players - I wouldn’t be pursuing these type of players.

Oh so you have better available & gettable players in mind who can kick 30+ goals per year & may only cost a later pick or even maybe PSD? Who?

You develop from within your list of 44 players and/or you draft players with the right attributes - Players retain small forwards who have decent ability.

In other words no you don’t have a friggen idea & you’re happy to simply hope that 15 years of drafting for no small forwards might all of a sudden change simple because you know, blind hope & all that. Its really really simple - when you have an opportunity to fill a need you take it. Absolutely you try to fill all your needs trough drafting & developing but the reality is that its unlikely to EVER give you a squad capable of winning a flag. Again we have not had a small forward kick 33 goals in a year since Bewick in 1993 & even then I’d argue Bewick was a mid/forward. Gus is the closest we’ve come so ask yourself the question, would you pick up a 23 year old Gus for a PSD pick?

You fill a need with good quality players - The two players being discussed have played in the NEAFL in the last two years.

Why would Matera and Green leave if they are playing such good footy.

Langford and Laverde played VFL last week. Should we write them off too?

Frosty got no clue.

I'd be wanting something better than Moorcroft for pick 19. Moorcroft was good, don't get me wrong, but I would want 45 goals a season for a small forward with pick 19.

Get out of town! I’d give up pick one for a player who can kick 45 goals a season. Bewick only managed that tally once in his career. Moorcroft never managed more than 30.

You’ve lost the plot - Players like Green and Matera are average AFL players - I wouldn’t be pursuing these type of players.

Oh so you have better available & gettable players in mind who can kick 30+ goals per year & may only cost a later pick or even maybe PSD? Who?

You develop from within your list of 44 players and/or you draft players with the right attributes - Players retain small forwards who have decent ability.

In other words no you don’t have a friggen idea & you’re happy to simply hope that 15 years of drafting for no small forwards might all of a sudden change simple because you know, blind hope & all that. Its really really simple - when you have an opportunity to fill a need you take it. Absolutely you try to fill all your needs trough drafting & developing but the reality is that its unlikely to EVER give you a squad capable of winning a flag. Again we have not had a small forward kick 33 goals in a year since Bewick in 1993 & even then I’d argue Bewick was a mid/forward. Gus is the closest we’ve come so ask yourself the question, would you pick up a 23 year old Gus for a PSD pick?

You fill a need with good quality players - The two players being discussed have played in the NEAFL in the last two years.

In response to your last question…because QLD football

Langford and Laverde played VFL last week. Should we write them off too?

Yeah compare players who are two years in the system with players who are six years in the system.

Frosty got no clue.

Frosty actually makes sense. Anyone that think Merrett, parish, Colyer, Laverde and Langford will not be playing huge fwd minutes between them next year is crazy.

Myers, hocking and Heppell are pure midfielders. Zaka is a pure winger. Watsons role next year is interesting.

Frosty got no clue.

Frosty actually makes sense. Anyone that think Merrett, parish, Colyer, Laverde and Langford will not be playing huge fwd minutes between them next year is crazy.

Myers, hocking and Heppell are pure midfielders. Zaka is a pure winger. Watsons role next year is interesting.

Except for the fact that Heppell and Zaharakis started their careers in the back and forward line respectively so pure in relation to them is incorrect.

But in relation to the forward line Colyer is ■■■■ forward, he’s a small forward in the sense that he is small and fast and this occasionally allows him to kick a goal. Some Essendon fans just think he is decent there (apparently, considering how many of them shove him in the forward line of their best 22’s) because we haven’t had a good small forward in forever. Parish has shown nothing other than he’s a midfielder who can rotate through there and Merrett is an emerging gun midfielder who will have enough preseasons behind him by next year to really start killing it so why would he be spending large amounts of time there?

Of course small forwards need to be able to rotate through the middle in this era but you still need guys who are natural goal scorers and have a forward sense most midfielders don’t.

Frosty got no clue.

Call me crazy then, because I can’t see Zac playing less midfield minutes even if everyone comes back.

Who where & when did anyone say they are playing good football atm and since when don’t players playing good football leave their clubs? They are both out of favour with their current club (as are many guys at brissy) & have both had injuries. Omeara will obviously work his way back through the same system - should we write off his career? Matt Dea could barely get out of the VFL last year yet this year he’s earned a contract for 2017. Michael Barlow spent years in the VFL, Paul Puopolo, Baguley, Pig the list goes on & on of players who spend a lot of time developing in lower grades. Dayne Zorko spent years languishing in the very same league before being drafted older than Green or Matera are now. Neither player are playing good football right now which is the reason why their value should be low. What they have done however is have previous good football form which is a very good reason to believe that at a new club they MAY be able to not only replicate that best form but maybe just maybe reach a higher level on account of the fact that they both have physical development left in them. Green should be peaking over the next 3-4 years & Matera shouldn’t peak for another 2 years. IF they were playing regular good football then they wouldn’t be an option unless we were prepared to pay a very high price. We can’t afford to trade our top picks & we don’t exactly have excess talent on the list to trade either. This is why we have to find players we can improve & get the best out of at our club. Green in particular has consistent good form prior to this year - from 2013 to 2015 he played 53 games for 82 goals. Again he’s only 23, there is every reason to suggest that a return to that form (assuming fitness) is highly likely & there is also the possibility that if we as a side improves, the life of a small forward gets easier.

If you have a better suggestion other than your plan of “lets just draft a good small forward” then by all means toss it up for comparison. Till then its patently obvious to most football watchers that we have a gaping hole in our forward line & the opportunity to add a guy who has kicked more goals in a season than anyone on our list is something that would be moronic to ignore.

Who where & when did anyone say they are playing good football atm and since when don’t players playing good football leave their clubs? They are both out of favour with their current club (as are many guys at brissy) & have both had injuries. Omeara will obviously work his way back through the same system - should we write off his career? Matt Dea could barely get out of the VFL last year yet this year he’s earned a contract for 2017. Michael Barlow spent years in the VFL, Paul Puopolo, Baguley, Pig the list goes on & on of players who spend a lot of time developing in lower grades. Dayne Zorko spent years languishing in the very same league before being drafted older than Green or Matera are now. Neither player are playing good football right now which is the reason why their value should be low. What they have done however is have previous good football form which is a very good reason to believe that at a new club they MAY be able to not only replicate that best form but maybe just maybe reach a higher level on account of the fact that they both have physical development left in them. Green should be peaking over the next 3-4 years & Matera shouldn’t peak for another 2 years. IF they were playing regular good football then they wouldn’t be an option unless we were prepared to pay a very high price. We can’t afford to trade our top picks & we don’t exactly have excess talent on the list to trade either. This is why we have to find players we can improve & get the best out of at our club. Green in particular has consistent good form prior to this year - from 2013 to 2015 he played 53 games for 82 goals. Again he’s only 23, there is every reason to suggest that a return to that form (assuming fitness) is highly likely & there is also the possibility that if we as a side improves, the life of a small forward gets easier.

If you have a better suggestion other than your plan of “lets just draft a good small forward” then by all means toss it up for comparison. Till then its patently obvious to most football watchers that we have a gaping hole in our forward line & the opportunity to add a guy who has kicked more goals in a season than anyone on our list is something that would be moronic to ignore.

Your list of players switching from state footy to the AFL contains mostly good to very good players at AFL level - Green and Matera don’t meet those standards

So what do we say about players that have switched clubs, and gone from average to very good?

It is possible-history proves it, but it also proves average stays average.

If say the club spoke to Matera and he said he’d been flat for a couple years and didnt feel he was getting the most out of himself, would that change people’s minds?

That’s the unknown here.