England: 10 years to save the Lettuce

Yes she was a tad late, but we had a lovely chat…

7 Likes

Have watched the Secret stations one, and don’t mind Chris Tarrants Extreme Railways either, but that Portillo guy with the endless technicolor dream Jackets and his “Bradfords” leaves me a bit cold.

Best English Rail doco series I’ve seen was, Locomotion: Dan Snow’s History of Railways

But I like just about everything he does. In my top 4 or 5 documentary presenters of all time, and thankfully, … he’s made plenty.

From Edwin Morgan, interim director general of the Institute of Directors

Our politicians have yet again failed to find a way to break the impasse. They are becoming adept at saying what they don’t want, but it’s still hard to see where the desire for compromise lies.

If an extension is sought, both the government and the opposition must state in precise terms what they are hoping to achieve from it. Recurring short extensions aren’t an appetising prospect for businesses.

From Adam Marshall, director general of the British Chambers of Commerce

It is profoundly obvious that neither government nor many businesses are ready for a disorderly exit – and this must not be allowed to happen on 29 March, whether by default or by design.

Businesses have been failed over and over again by Westminster in recent months, but allowing a messy and disorderly exit on 29 March would take political negligence to new extremes.

From Mike Cherry, chair of the Federation of Small Businesses

While parliament dithers, debates and delays, the reality is that there are just 17 days to go and small firms are still blindly in the dark about how they will be operating post 29 March.

Small businesses are increasingly frustrated. While these political games have been playing out, small firms have been made to suffer - unable to invest, plan, hire and grow.

From Mike Hawes, head of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders

Today’s vote leaves us perilously close to the ‘cliff edge’. No-deal would be catastrophic for the automotive industry. It would end frictionless trade, add billions to the cost of manufacturing and cost jobs. UK automotive businesses will be put at immediate risk. Parliament must reject no-deal and take it permanently off the table.

From the National Farmers’ Union

The outcome of the vote means there is no realistic possibility of achieving an orderly departure from the EU on March 29. A no-deal exit from the EU would be a catastrophe for British farming and food production.

From Aodhán Connolly, director of the Northern Ireland Retail Consortium

It is the most vulnerable who will feel the impact of a no deal Brexit most …. There are no winners in a no-deal Brexit that systematically disintegrates the supply chains of these islands.

Politicians of all shades must put people before politics and economics before ideology to find an agreement.

They are in a world of strife.

1 Like

Youth hostelling with Chris Eubank?

4 Likes

But why should they accept a shitee deal. And the offer on the table from the EU is not good aat all for UK.

1 Like

What exactly does the UK want from the EU that is not on the table and doesn’t impinge on their “red lines?”

It’s a ■■■■ deal because its a ■■■■ decision to leave.

7 Likes

They don’t, they’re free to leave with no deal at all.

But they have chosen to walk away, so there’s no onus on the EU to do anything but look after their own member nations.

2 Likes

That’s probably because it’s not good for the UK to leave the EU.

The British, in typical form, want to do a stupid thing and get other people (namely the "■■■■■■ foreigners) to pay for their stupidity.

Why on Earth should they get a good deal?

Have they even worked out what they want?

2 Likes

They want all the privileges of EU membership and none of the responsibilities. The last couple of years have been the brexiters throwing an extended tanty when told they can’t have this.

6 Likes

A time machine to wind it back to about 1810, when the sun never sets on the empire (all stand) god save our gracious queeen

I don’t understand it at all, so I’m not going to comment on it seriously.
It does sound like a kid at bedtime, though.
‘I want to watch this show, and a drink, and a story, no…two stories, and…’
‘What you’ll get is a kick up the bum.’

I can only go on what my English rellos want.

The “leavers” amongst them don’t really know what they want, but it’s not this. The stayers are the ones with jobs.

Arguably another situation where politicians were allowed to tell outright lies, absolutely unchecked by good journalism or good opposition.

1 Like

Lets all laugh at England!

1 Like

I can’t comprehend how the UK can want to leave the EU and have a hard border with the EU, yet don’t want a hard border between Ireland (which is in the EU) and Northern Ireland or between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Boggles my mind that there’s so much uproar over the Irish backstop, yet no one has the guts to say that there has to be a hard border some where.

What you’re forgetting is the DUP. The Torries would sell out N. Ireland in a heartbeat and just put the hard border in the sea. But May is reliant on the DUP seats to stay in power, and they would never accept that. And the EU would never accept a hard border within Ireland, unless it was because there was no deal.

2 Likes

The agreement that led to the IRA putting their bullets and bombs away included issues around the Irish border.

1 Like

You will not get any argument from me on this. Another big win for democracy instead of common sense.

Yet many continue to argue that democracy is Perfect - Silly people make silly decisions.

Especially when lied to.

1 Like