England: 10 years to save the Lettuce

Toys out of the pram everywhere on Facebook today.

Don’t know how people can be so certain that this is a bad thing in the short or long term.

• Australians who are sad that their British passport won’t let them retire in the south of France
  • Europeans who think Brits don’t like them anymore and threaten to move home
  • Australians and Brits who think that everyone who exercised their democratic right are stupid / uneducated / scared / ill-informed
  • People who cried
  • Brits who seem to think it’s a national act of self-harm
  • People who feel compelled to tell the world that they voted remain
  • People who think it was rigged
  • People who assume that anyone who voted leave did so because of immigration fears or that it was a vote for Nigel Farage
  • Brits worried their vacations will get more expensive
  • Brits threatening to emmigrate
  • “Appalled”
  • “Embarrassed”
  • “Welcome to New Greece”
  • “ill-informed and under educated who have been influenced by false truths and propaganda”
  • etc.

I’ll vote brexit stay in july 2.

Firstly, if you scare the ■■■■ out of everyone about what happens outside of your borders and then ask them what they think about it then… ta da!

Secondly, the subliminal thing about it ending up being called “Brexit” almost as though it’s a slogan for change. Well…

If a referendum about stopping all foreign aid was done in this country now the panic merchants that have been groomed by the press and political right hand would vote for it to stop without even realising the fall out that would happen on an international level. It would be as cerebral as “Nah, ■■■■ that. We need that money here and ■■■■.” This is why you don’t use scare campaigns about the world beyond your borders and then ask the people to decide on how things are going to work beyond your borders. And, if you’re going to manipulate everyone in that way, above the public consciousness of how things actually are then don’t expect them to understand it. Bed made and laid in.

Obviously there are those who stand to gain from this and then there are the backwards reptiles who are rubbing themselves raw over all of the hormone let down from the enabling of their deluded bigotry that this got them.

So how come our stock market got routed because of the Brits?

Well, for starters, if the Brits leave they lose a crapload of access to markets etc, and anyone who’s got investments exposed to the UK economy is going to feel that. And second, it’s going to be hard to keep a whole lot of other countries in, and of countries start leaving the EU then some of them (Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Ireland…) could start defaulting on their debts, in which case every financial institution in the world loses.

They may lose ‘free’ access. But those access agreements will be renegotiated over the next few years before their exit is confirmed. It will be in both the UKs and EUs interest to negotiate mutually beneficial agreements so it’s hardly going to be economic armageddon for the UK.

The EU have issued a statement saying that there will be no EU/UK trade deal negotiations until Brexit is finalised. And frankly, I expect the EU to decide it’s in their interests to make the exit process as miserable, destructive, and painful as possible for the Brits, partly out of ‘screw you’, but mostly to put the frighteners on the Netherlands, Greece, or anyone else who might consider opting out.

Well, for starters, if the Brits leave they lose a crapload of access to markets etc, and anyone who’s got investments exposed to the UK economy is going to feel that. And second, it’s going to be hard to keep a whole lot of other countries in, and of countries start leaving the EU then some of them (Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Ireland…) could start defaulting on their debts, in which case every financial institution in the world loses.

They may lose ‘free’ access. But those access agreements will be renegotiated over the next few years before their exit is confirmed. It will be in both the UKs and EUs interest to negotiate mutually beneficial agreements so it’s hardly going to be economic armageddon for the UK.

The EU have issued a statement saying that there will be no EU/UK trade deal negotiations until Brexit is finalised. And frankly, I expect the EU to decide it’s in their interests to make the exit process as miserable, destructive, and painful as possible for the Brits, partly out of ‘screw you’, but mostly to put the frighteners on the Netherlands, Greece, or anyone else who might consider opting out.

And that will only serve to make everything counter-productive. Threats are bad for growth. It will only serve to delay further separation tensions. The best thing the EU can do is send the message that they’re open to anything but that whatever happens, they will strive to make it better in the long run, even without GB.

And that will only serve to make everything counter-productive. Threats are bad for growth. It will only serve to delay further separation tensions. The best thing the EU can do is send the message that they’re open to anything but that whatever happens, they will strive to make it better in the long run, even without GB.

Given that this whole business has been one long tale of people and governments acting counterproductive, I expect it to happen regardless.

Good on Britain for going for sovereignty. Why should they have to foot the bills of defaulting European countries? I wonder if Germany will follow suit soon, they’re carrying the burden of Europe now. Corbyn is gone I think and one of Johnson or Gove will probably be the next conservative leader. As for the rest of Europe, Holland would have to be out the door and maybe we get the Merkel of old back.

First we leave the EU.

the we leave EURO.

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales would have to apply to accede to the EU. That would be an excruciating exercise, given that they may not have much in the way of external powers. I doubt that they have treaty making powers and if not, imagine that UK would have to negotiate on their behalf. Given also their own limited internal powers, if the EU wants them in, there could be a need for a special form of membership as non sovereign states.
The internal British dynamics are also confusing. Already, Sturgeon is reportedly referring to a new independence referendum and a Northern Ireland pollie is talking about Irish re-unification.

I doubt very much if the majority of the folks who voted had any real idea of what their vote meant. This is a win for narrow-minded nationalism and quite akin to shooting oneself in the foot. Both sides of the debate did nothing to help the cause. It was a vitriolic campaign and Cameron’s gamble has failed.

On a side note I was listening to a radio interview with British retirees living in Spain. They were all voting “remain” since their free healthcare benefits in Spain could be at risk. When asked how she would have voted were she in England one retiree said that she would definitely have voted “leave” as there are “just too many migrants” in the UK.

Let the irony of that sink in.

25% voter turnout for ages 18-25.

Watch idiotic young people blow up on Twitter and Facebook about how the older generation “screwed them over” when all they had to do was turn up and vote, too.

Where are you getting this from? What I’ve seen suggests that about 20% of that demographic didn’t vote, which was indeed more than any other demographic but not overwhelmingly so. They also overwhelmingly voted remain, while old voters voted leave.

The UK just set themselves on fire so they wouldn’t have to share their country with black and brown people. And now one of the leaders of the movement, Nigel Farage, has admitted that the pledge to take the 350 million pounds per week they send to the EU and spend it on the National Health Service will not be happening. So basically the whole campaign was a scam.

I swear, the irony of Britain invading 90% of the world and then complaining about immigrants and saying they want their country back…

By the way, the two most popular google searches relating to the EU in Britain after the polls closed were “what does it mean to leave the EU” and “what is the EU”. Not kidding. People don’t have a clue what they voted for.

Luckily, far right nationalism and economic depression in Europe has never led to anything bad though.

Also, Donald Trump was in Scotland talking about what a great result it was and how Scotland “took their country back”. Scotland voted 62% remain. Future President of America everyone.

So why would CBA put the block on? Plebs are not allowed to benefit it seems…

I doubt very much if the majority of the folks who voted had any real idea of what their vote meant. This is a win for narrow-minded nationalism and quite akin to shooting oneself in the foot. Both sides of the debate did nothing to help the cause. It was a vitriolic campaign and Cameron's gamble has failed.

On a side note I was listening to a radio interview with British retirees living in Spain. They were all voting “remain” since their free healthcare benefits in Spain could be at risk. When asked how she would have voted were she in England one retiree said that she would definitely have voted “leave” as there are “just too many migrants” in the UK.

Let the irony of that sink in.

now that’s entertainment

The “75% of young people voted Remain” appears to be a guess. The ages of voters were not recorded. Instead, that figure seems a mix of one pre-poll survey (which predicted “remain” to win, incidentally) and an assessment of area’s median age against the total vote result for those area’s.

Actual turnout % in specific age groups is also murky. A poll of the glastonbury festival had 22% of youth voters not bothering to vote. Thats not vastly different to the overall turnout of eligible voters.

Get the feeling like they’d like a do-over?

Here’s the “European Union” in action:

Spain are opposed to an independent Scotland joining the EU because “it might encourage Catalan to secede from Madrid”. Lol. Politics indeed.

Here's the "European Union" in action:

Spain are opposed to an independent Scotland joining the EU because “it might encourage Catalan to secede from Madrid”. Lol. Politics indeed.

Though at the same time they’re trying to get Gibraltar to secede from the UK so they can get it back.

Could be a very dumb and self-destructive few years coming up in Europe.

Presumably many of the older “Leave” voters originally voted to stay in the EU in 1975 given the resounding win back then. I guess you can look at that in several ways.

Presumably many of the older "Leave" voters originally voted to stay in the EU in 1975 given the resounding win back then. I guess you can look at that in several ways.
Probably not, they would have been young at the time and apparently the youngins don't like voting.