England: Mr Bates versus the Establishment

Get the feeling like they'd like a do-over?

Plenty of people are indeed saying that. Lots of people who voted that way didn’t think it would actually happen and that their vote wouldn’t make a difference. Morons.

I doubt very much if the majority of the folks who voted had any real idea of what their vote meant. This is a win for narrow-minded nationalism and quite akin to shooting oneself in the foot. Both sides of the debate did nothing to help the cause. It was a vitriolic campaign and Cameron's gamble has failed.

On a side note I was listening to a radio interview with British retirees living in Spain. They were all voting “remain” since their free healthcare benefits in Spain could be at risk. When asked how she would have voted were she in England one retiree said that she would definitely have voted “leave” as there are “just too many migrants” in the UK.

Let the irony of that sink in.

I think it sad that so many of the politicians and opinion writers look at things through a theoretical economic perspective, and have completely lost touch with what people’s concerns are. Its not narrowed mined nationalism, it’s looking at a triple bottom line and not a single bottom line. It’s looking at a cost benefit analysis of the benefits of being in the EU. And they were starting to look less and less palatable.
Social and environmental concerns are a big part of this. It’s like being told free trade agreements are good for us all. Not they’re not. The trickle down effect, one of the biggest cons of all time, doesn’t work. You can’t have globalisation and bring the third world up to the first world standard without an initial drop in the standard of the first world.
I think it’s time the economic theorists with their doom and gloom predictions of this decision realised that the rest of us think economic theory is a load of crap, and will continue to be whilst it is based on the non existent perfect market place.
Politicians have completely lost touch with their constituents. But it was the realisation that they had effectively ceded sovereignty to a bunch of bureaucrats in Brussels that for a lot of people was the final straw. The EU could have worked. But it overstepped its mark. And this is the result.

At least they got to vote on significant issues. Meanwhile in Australai, same sex couples have less rights than everyone else.

At least they got to vote on significant issues. Meanwhile in Australai, same sex couples have less rights than everyone else.

we have a vote on that coming up, keep your shirt on

we have a vote on that coming up, keep your shirt on

Pity we even have to vote on human rights.

Can’t find the 25% young voter turnout figure I read yesterday, but this article seems to say a similar thing. Young people made plenty of noise but older voters actually turned up.

Can't find the 25% young voter turnout figure I read yesterday, but this article seems to say a similar thing. Young people made plenty of noise but older voters actually turned up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/how-did-turnout-affect-the-eu-referendum-result/

STFU you racist anti-immigrant goon :smiley:

interesting that the EU is now talking about changing itself, making itself “better” and listening to the complaints against it. Considering it has just lost its 2nd biggest economy and its only genuine military clout (no-one really takes France seriously despite a genuinely modern standing army, and for some reason no-one seems keen on a German nation with offensive capability, lol) it may be the horse has bolted.

Reality is that if Britain does actually exit after the two years, nothing will change.

Some cashed up clever people made a killing on Forex, and is about it.

Reality is that if Britain does actually exit after the two years, nothing will change.

they’d make a killing anyway.

or topple another poor asian nation.

interesting that the EU is now talking about changing itself, making itself "better" and listening to the complaints against it. Considering it has just lost its 2nd biggest economy and its only genuine military clout (no-one really takes France seriously despite a genuinely modern standing army, and for some reason no-one seems keen on a German nation with offensive capability, lol) it may be the horse has bolted.
No one takes France seriously? Since when has a nuclear arsenal been a joke?
Get the feeling like they'd like a do-over?

Plenty of people are indeed saying that. Lots of people who voted that way didn’t think it would actually happen and that their vote wouldn’t make a difference. Morons.

Friends over there are going ape hearing people who voted leave saying “I think I made a mistake”.

How did they get to a point where there was even a vote?

interesting that the EU is now talking about changing itself, making itself "better" and listening to the complaints against it. Considering it has just lost its 2nd biggest economy and its only genuine military clout (no-one really takes France seriously despite a genuinely modern standing army, and for some reason no-one seems keen on a German nation with offensive capability, lol) it may be the horse has bolted.
No one takes France seriously? Since when has a nuclear arsenal been a joke?

unless they can fling the nukes over their shoulders as they run in the other direction, that’s when…

Has sovereignty, politics and ignorance ever caused an issue in Europe?

I’d be interested to know where the $1.5 billion that usually goes to the EU is spent now that it’s been clarified thatit won’t be spent on public health, which a lot of leave voters thought it would. That’s one heck of a bait and switch!

I for one applaud them for having the balls to do it. And massive Lol at Scotland, the English would rather they fark off as they are a drain on the Brits. Scotland will be broke within a year if they leave, only the English handouts keeping them going

I’m simple, some may have worked that out already, can someone give me the run down in like two or three paragraphs

It doesn’t require balls, it requires a load of people going along with being promised stuff they ain’t necessarily gonna get, whilst losing other valuable things in the process.