Brownlow - Who will Bruce creep on in 2018?

Even moreso than the Grand Final entertainment, I have no idea why the AFL are trying to expand the audience for this event. There is NOTHING they could add to it that would make someone not currently interested suddenly find interest.

1 Like

I propose that the afl broadcast the brownlow vote over three nights, split the count into thirds 1 - 7, 8 - 14, 15 - 23. This will allow plenty of times for extra high lights and awards etc. It’ll be riveting viewing.
Just like the draft night will be.

4 Likes

If C7 don’t draw it out they lose a few bucks from advertising

Needs more wardrobe malfunctions.

1 Like

They are with the AFL draft so they don’t mind drawing things out.

If it’s a close finish sure it makes it exciting. Last night was all over 2-3 rounds out and they rushed it through at the end. They should focus on quality over quantity and make it a good tight package.

the lower teams used to have their good players poll really well as there was no team member to steal the votes or so the BS used to go

David Bain once had a huge Brownlow year with the Bears when they really stank it up. But Cripps got votes quite a few times when they really had their pants pulled down.

If they continue to stink up the rating they will also lose money, they should be incorporating their hit footy entertainment show into the ceremony.

1 Like

How he got votes when the crows did them by 18 goals is just insane

Ok try this

7:30 to 9:30 - red carpet arrivals, song and dance numbers, extra awards, interviews, skits, whatever
9:30 to 11:00 - count the votes, give the medal

First show can be their showpiece ratings bonanza. Second show for the footy tragics.

1 Like

Red carpet needs to be on after 9.30…adults only timeslot.

2 Likes

ALAN WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO SHOW YOU HOW TO PUT A BLUE MOVIE ON THE COMPUTER AGAIN?

Fixed

1 Like

Umpires have to hate a turd like Rance who is easily the biggest stager in the game. He is forever asking for free kicks.

1 Like

I love hearing those old Brownlow stories of a time before red carpet extravaganzas. Even a time before the players were invited. Swear I read a story about ■■■■ Reynolds having a journo knock on his front door to tell him he had won. Or won again. Or again winning again. In hindsight, the journo should have just camped on the verge.

1 Like

Didn’t somebody find out the next morning, when they were catching a tram to work?

“Did you hear? You won the Brownlow!”

1 Like

How does the Nobby Clarke winner find out?

Hopefully, they don’t.

2 Likes

When I win the lottery I’ll be having $5000 medals made up and there’ll be a presentation dinner for all past winners at Crown and you’re all invited.

3 Likes

“On the way to work”.

Players today. Pfft…

I’ve heard that story too.

Funny how it took the administrators so long to realise “Hey, we can make some coin out of this”.

True story. The WAFL experimented with selling tickets to the general public to attend the Sandover Medal award ceremony in the early 80’s. Seemed like a good idea. Hold it at the Perth Entertainment Centre which held around 15 000 seats. Make money, right? Well, they did sell lots of tickets to the event but what they didn’t envisage was how 15 000 boozed up spectators would turn the count into a parochial contest, cheering when one bloke got votes and booing another. It was a classic farce. Can’t recall who won but his speech was almost drowned out by the crowd’s discontent. I believe people were even thrown out for fighting. They went back to invites only at a smaller venue the next year and every year since. Shame really.

4 Likes