Buddygate

Our first 2000th pick, more like.

Showed glimpses. Wonder what he does now?

He’s on Linkedin.
I’m not, so I can’t give you more info than that.

There was a lot of excitement upon his drafting. Hope he has had a fulfilling life since then.

Would be an interesting story.

Dodoro wanted Cornes.
Sheeds wanted Davies.
He was picked out of nowhere so people suspected draft tampering, but yeah-nah…just Crazy Unca Sheeds.

2 Likes

Chad or Kane?

Doesn’t matter. Either would have been brilliant.

1 Like

We trusted K Sheedy then. And why wouldn’t we given his record up to then? If Sheedy wanted Davies then Davies it is.

Not judging.

1996 draft should have had Sheeds removed from drafting.

Sheeds wanted to be the first to coach a Maori footballer, so wanted Daniel McAllister at 5…despite the fact that Wayne Schwass had Maori blood, and Judkins thought we could pick him up in the 50s. Judkins wanted Max Hudghton because we needed a key defender. We still needed one the next year and took a tall winger at 4.

Judkins also wanted Byron Pickett, but Sheeds wanted to redraft Paul Hills, whom we’d delisted, maybe twice. Hills never came back.

I think there was another Judkins wanted instead of Andrew Bomford, but not sure.

Source…Tim Watson’s book The Jigsaw Man.

He had some great success early plucking guys from nowhere, eg Daisy Williams and Alan Ezard.

4 Likes

Getting the right personnel is so important. And you never really know until later.

Football was too sophisticated for the coach to overide the recruiting professionals by 1996 but that didn’t stop K Sheedy from intervening. It should of, but didn’t.

Win flags and you can pretty much do what you want.

Could they offer him a virtually meaningless coaching role to meet the salary obligations and get him off the field?

lol.
I think you’d have 17 clubs going, ‘oh, hell no.’
Most obvious salary cap rorting in the entire history of things.
Things of any type, at any time, in any circumstance.

1 Like

Yeah…but it’s got AFL written all over it

1 Like

If they can do that, then scrap the salary cap because there literally wouldn’t be one anymore.

I honestly have no idea if they can do it, but it’s the exact type of situation that would get rorted, if the right rules aren’t in place.

They can’t.
Disaster leads that way.
Essendon pays Bont 1m for playing and 1m for coaching per year, and other clubs fold.

1 Like

Of course they can.
He’s in extended rehab, never gets quite right, meantime he sits in the coaching box. The only downside for the duckies, is that they’ll have a meaningless coach getting paid enormous amounts of money while also taking up their player’s salary cap.

All that said - I hope Buddy gets back to his best, because he is scintillating to watch and one of the better players we’ll see in our lifetimes.

1 Like

Actually, new plan.
We pay Bont $600k pa for the next 30 years.
The last 20 years off the cap as the host of Bomber TV…or not, because we’ll pay him in a lump sum the moment he retires.
He may only feel like doing it for a week.

1 Like

Maybe they can pay him to be an ambassador, you know like Brissy did with Mal Michael & were supposed to pay him the 50K he agree to get outside the cap on retirement. That was 100% blatant cap rorting & the AFL turned a blind eye.

Bit of a difference between 50k and 3m though.