Buddygate

I like 3 KM from the city and I don't need a f**king COLA.

So what do you put with your JB?

COLA should be a fixed allowance of say $20k per annum per player.  This would more than cover the additional cost of living in Shitney.

I'm pretty sure that's how Sydney claim it's used.

How much is it going to suck when we play Sydney in Sydney?  Buddy Franklin plus the maggots giving us nothing.

We'll get done by 1000.

The AFL are looking at blocking the move now.

They believe their is some risk that if he retires early that the Swans may have to pay out his contract in full which would mean no other players could get paid that year.

That would be friggin hilarious

The AFL are concerned about how the Swans may end up, not about how unfair the COLA is to the rest of the teams.

Love it.

I don't know how Sydney are doing it even with the COLA in their salary cap

I would estimate these would be their approximate payments to their top 11 players

Franklin        $1M

Tippett          $900K

Hannebery  $500k

McVeigh       $500k

Kennedy       $500k

Jack                 $500k

Goodes          $500k (veteran's list)

Richards        $400k

O‘Keefe        $400k (veteran's list)

Pyke               $400k

Malceski       $400k

that is $6m on their top 11 players and I would suggest a few of those midfielders (Jack, Hannebery) would be worth closer to $700k and would easily get that at other clubs.

That would leave their bottom 30 players on the list on an average salary of about $180k a year, that's a lot of players that could be picked off by other clubs by offering $300-350k contracts.

I don't know how Sydney are doing it even with the COLA in their salary cap

I would estimate these would be their approximate payments to their top 11 players

Franklin        $1M

Tippett          $900K

Hannebery  $500k

McVeigh       $500k

Kennedy       $500k

Jack                 $500k

Goodes          $500k (veteran's list)

Richards        $400k

O‘Keefe        $400k (veteran's list)

Pyke               $400k

Malceski       $400k

that is $6m on their top 11 players and I would suggest a few of those midfielders (Jack, Hannebery) would be worth closer to $700k and would easily get that at other clubs.

That would leave their bottom 30 players on the list on an average salary of about $180k a year, that's a lot of players that could be picked off by other clubs by offering $300-350k contracts.

We should strike by poaching Mitchell.

That would be a good get.

Intrigued to know how they'll travel with one ruckman.

I like 3 KM from the city and I don't need a f**king COLA.

Hello smythy. How much + super?

Good for Buddy and Sydney. I am actually enjoying seeing all the other clubs angry at the AFL. No one came to stand up for us so fark them all.

And the biggest LOLZ to Carlton for having the nerve to get upset about this. The biggest salary cap cheats of them all.

Right now I reckon it must be "good to be the Buddy". The guy would have to feel invincible at the minute.. 2nd premiership medal, new gazillion dollar contract and a plethora of Bondi babes in the waiting.

Yes... it's good to be the Buddy!    Half his luck.

621_356_history_of_the_world_part_one.jp

COLA to be scraped and rebranded COKE* (Cost of Keeping Everyone) *at GWS

Mmmm.....invisible cola.

If it goes through it will kill the Swans.

They'll have put all their eggs in the tall forward basket, and won't be giving themselves any money for midfielders once McVeigh retires and Hannebery comes up for a new contract; and after the AFL smack them for making them look bad and take away some of the COLA.

Then, when Buddy decides he likes the lifestyle more than the footy club, he'll be useless, and yet still be on massive money.

The only problem for me comes when the AFL bails them out of this in 5-6 years time when they're last and can't afford to re-sign their existing players, and no-one wants to go there as a Free Agent.

Sydney clearly rorting COLA = bringing the game into disrepute.

1 year ban for Longmire

$mil fine

picks

"The only problem (for me) comes when the AFL bails them out of this in 5-6 years time  ..."

Damn right.  One of the three certainties in this world, along world death and taxes. The AFL have sucked Sydney's c#ck for over 25 years.

Where are you Dear Leader? Surely Buddygate needs a governance review…how could this happen, wrecking your GWS marketing plan…

They believe their is some risk that if he retires early that the Swans may have to pay out his contract in full which would mean no other players could get paid that year.

That doesn't sound right.

If he retires anytime into the contract how can the swans be forced to pay a contract for a player that's main purpose has been removed, playing.

I look forward to the EFC statement coming out in full support of the AFL and the direction & wonderful leadership they are showing on this matter to protect the interests of the clubs & the code.

*sarcastica

That doesn't sound right.
If he retires anytime into the contract how can the swans be forced to pay a contract for a player that's main purpose has been removed, playing.
It has happened before, Voss retired and still had a year to run on his contract so Brisbane had to keep him on their list for that year and pay him.
If Buddy quits after 5-6 years the Swans still have to pay his remaining years

I think the bigger rort is the 'marketing' allowance paid for by the AFL, outside the salary cap, of 500k. Sydney's actual football contract would be around 600k, which is a bargain really. The reason the 9 years is such a great idea is because the AFL will pay 500k per year for 9 years, almost half the entire contract.

Also, there is no chance that the AFL are going to veto this deal, hell they probably suggested it. 500k x 9 years is a small price to pay for the media  value they will get out of this.